Want To Cut Kesh After 10 Years As An Amritdari/keshdari - Please Advise

Guest anon

Guest Jacfsing2

In my almost 10 years as an Amritdari, I see parallels with the below, with Sikhi & Naam:

K. Anders Ericsson's work on 'expertise', states that to be an expert in any domain, an individual needs 10,000 hours of deliberate practice. Deliberate practice, meaning practice done with intense focus, with an aim of continuous improvement. Essentially his research proved to be an expert, you need minimum of 10,000 hours of quality practice. This 10k rule applies to Surgeons, Mathematicians, even Athletes. Parallels with Naam Kamai Concept?

Mike csikszentmihalyi's work on 'flow states', States that when an individual truly focuses on a task, becomes one with it, a state of flow is experienced. In this state of flow, the perception of time alters radically, hours seem like minutes, while seconds seem like endless hours. Often individual who engage in extreme sports, such as snowboarding off mountains, experience this flow state frequently. Its a heighten, absorbed state of mind and the research states that anyone, absorbed enough will experience flow states. For example all the great Mathematicians, Artists, even elite craftsmen have historically experienced this while engaged in their work. Parallels with Sehaj, Anand States Sikhs experience?

Carol Dweck's work on 'mindset' states that people have two types of mindset, either a limited, defeatist I cant do this mindset, or progressive mindset which views setbacks as challenges to be overcome. If you lack this mindset, it is unlikely you will ever achieve mastery in life and/or experience flow states. Parallels with Sikh Chardi Kala Concept?

Other Authors/Researchers work on 'Mastery' have combined the ideas of expertise, flow, mindset to formulate a compelling theory of mastery. That the highest human activity is the pursuit of Mastery in any given domain or field. That the pursuit of Mastery, gives true transcendent happiness, above and beyond gross material possessions. Parallels with sikh concept of rejecting maya, and gross desires for higher Gurmukh ideal?

Btw you say youre are a pharmacist, I interested to know how you view the body of work that stands behind your profession, the empirical edifice that has been built up over centuries, the application of the scientific method to alleviate human suffering, the institutes of research, the commercial enterprises, funding by secular goverments that support your profession.

10k hours or 1 second? "ਜੋ ਕਲਿ ਕੌ ਇਕ ਬਾਰ ਧਿਐਹੈ ॥ ਤਾ ਕੇ ਕਾਲ ਨਿਕਟਿ ਨਹਿ ਐਹੈ ॥

Those who meditate on the Supreme Destroyer even once, death cannot even approach them;" Chaupai Sahib

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sikh scholar

I more than 100% accept the teaching of the Guru Granth Sahib Ji, and Gurbani is my Guru. Truth be told, I don't want to be a perfect Sikh, but I can't face being a Patit, so I am forced to continue being an Amritdari. I don't blame the Sikh Religion for this, but I do resent being forced to remain amritdari. I should have the right to leave.

I have probably read many 100s if not going onto 1000 books, by different western researchers & authors. And I assure you that I do not simply accept what some Phd has said. I reject probably 70%-80% of what I read. Thankfully I have been blessed with Critical faculties of the mind, to allow me to weigh up and evaluate, before accepting fact, theory or even philosophy. Unlike traditionally in India, and in Asiain the West the student (and we are all students, no matter our age, i.e. we are all Sikhs, if we are committed to truth and learning) is encouraged, expected to 1) Gather Data 2) Analyse 3) Evaluate 4) Make reasoned judgement. We do not just accept something, just because someone has a Phd. You implore me to do my khoj, research, but you all have the expectation, that there is only one conclusion: A Sikh must take amrit, and a Sikh cannot leave amrit.

Btw, please feel free to summarise your understanding of the Dasam Granth Sahib Ji.

Reply to anongram 101

You say "A sikh must take Amrit, and a sikh cannot leave Amrit"

My belief is that a sikh must study the teachings of all the sikh gurus, and that is what makes one a sikh; it is irrelevant whether you have sikh saroop. Gurbani is the food for The soul. Your learning and understanding will guide take you in a direction that empowers you to achieve the one goal which is , IMO, rememberance of the creator -( chubi rahi surt prabh charnan mai).

In the end your soul will be richer than before you started.... So why worry if you have or have not Amrit. If you wish to "leave Amrit" do so your soul is still richer than before.

Read this pauri from Japji sahib "Je jug charai aarja hor dasuni hoe,.......

And realise you should not care of how your social circle judges you.....in fact you will also realise who are your true friends

Who knows when we will get the next chance (Payee prapat manukh dehauria gobind Milne ki eh Teri bariya)

Best wishes

I more than 100% accept the teaching of the Guru Granth Sahib Ji, and Gurbani is my Guru. Truth be told, I don't want to be a perfect Sikh, but I can't face being a Patit, so I am forced to continue being an Amritdari. I don't blame the Sikh Religion for this, but I do resent being forced to remain amritdari. I should have the right to leave.

I have probably read many 100s if not going onto 1000 books, by different western researchers & authors. And I assure you that I do not simply accept what some Phd has said. I reject probably 70%-80% of what I read. Thankfully I have been blessed with Critical faculties of the mind, to allow me to weigh up and evaluate, before accepting fact, theory or even philosophy. Unlike traditionally in India, and in Asiain the West the student (and we are all students, no matter our age, i.e. we are all Sikhs, if we are committed to truth and learning) is encouraged, expected to 1) Gather Data 2) Analyse 3) Evaluate 4) Make reasoned judgement. We do not just accept something, just because someone has a Phd. You implore me to do my khoj, research, but you all have the expectation, that there is only one conclusion: A Sikh must take amrit, and a Sikh cannot leave amrit.

Btw, please feel free to summarise your understanding of the Dasam Granth Sahib Ji.

Irrelevant if you sikhi saroop

Nonononononononono

You say that a Sikh must study the teachings of the Guru That is True. But there is not as much point in studying something if you don't want to accept it.

Saabat Soorat Rab di phane beimaan darga koi na mila kaafar <banned word filter activated> shatan.

Sir jaava ta jaava mera sikhi sidak na jaava.