Breaking News: New National Archive Information Shows How The British Government Betrayed Sikhs

DiscoverSikhism

Jagsaw,

"I think you know, DailyMail, that it was me who, in the past, here on this very forum, has articulated and advanced that 'buffer state' theory.

I'm not going to go over old territory again but there is absolutely no doubt in my mind whatsoever that a free Punjab will come (and it will be called 'Punjab' not 'Khalistan') and it will come about purely because world powers will see it as being in their interest to have it. That scenario is inevitable."

Credit where credit is due - yes I do recall that it was you who had previously raised this on this forum. I've also heard it being mentioned by a few others on the Sikh media channels also.

The key word you used in the above paragraph is "world powers will see it as being in their interest to have it". It's all about interests. If it's not in their interests, they won't bother. Look at Blair/Bush v Saddam compared to Blair/Bush v Mugabe. It's a matlabi world - and the Sikhs just don't get it. We need to see far beyond out own interests and focus on geo-political regional stability. If it's marketed properly, the UN will be begging us to create a buffer-state!

Sikhs are far too tribal, politically naive and non-strategic. They need to start thinking bigger.

When Rajiv arm-twisted Thatcher to curb UK Sikhs

CHANDIGARH: The Rajiv Gandhi government had in 1984 threatened the British government headed by Margaret Thatcher with trade sanctions if Sikh protests and other activities were not curbed in the UK immediately after Indira Gandhi's assassination. And Thatcher even obliged, if declassified documents of the British government are anything to go by.

The declassified records of the UK cabinet meetings in 1984, uploaded on www.discoversikhism.com, show that the UK government was only too willing to bend as "export contracts worth £5 billion could be at stake".

Moreover, the UK cabinet closely scrutinized the movement of Dr Jagjit Singh Chauhan, who had established the Khalistan National Council and actively sought ways to prosecute him for giving inflammatory interviews. Thatcher told her cabinet, "The implication (of such statements) for the Northern Ireland should also be borne in mind. The Government's view on such broadcast should be brought to the attention of the chairman of the BBC, Stuart Young."

The declassified papers also show that banning a Sikh march in central London at that time was also a proactive decision of the UK government. While this was widely reported, the direct involvement of the top brass of the country in these decisions was not known so far.

This is the second time that a storm has been generated by the release of Operation Bluestar related papers. The January 2014 cache had included files that suggested that the Indira Gandhi government had sought, and the Thatcher government had extended, British advice on removing Sikh extremists from the Golden Temple in 1984.

The present UK PM David Cameron had at that time promised to release papers and information relating to 1984. However, four files on India have been withheld: three from the prime minister's office (PMO) are listed as 'temporarily retained', and one from the cabinet office described as 'retained under section 3(4) of the Public Records Act, 1958'.

Meanwhile, the Sikh Council UK has expressed concern over media reports of comments made by Margaret Thatcher. Secretary general of the Sikh Council UK, Gurmel Singh said, "From these comments and documents previously disclosed we begin to understand the prevailing mood of the time. It appears this was one in which trade and bilateral relations took priority and this in turn probably led to a situation in which Sikhs in the UK were viewed with suspicion and even as some sort of threat to the UK by the Government of the time."

He added, "This would go a long way to explain how the Cabinet came to discuss withdrawing official support for a Sikh procession and could be the real reason why India was provided assistance prior to the attack on Sri Harmandir Sahib. We have been told that the Thatcher Government of 1984 was neutral in the whole process but this clearly calls that into question."

source Times of India

Isingh,

You've raised a very pertinent point indeed. Paedophile rings involving Westminster with Scotland yard cover-up show that the Thatcher government was about as trust worthy as Robert Maxwell was with your pension.

It'll be interesting what further papers will be released this year with regards to the 1985 Air India case off the coast of Ireland.

We need an answer from the Govt on what pressure India is putting on the UK.This is a joint Tory and Lib Dem Govt, it probably went on under Labour as well. The BJP is the same as the Congress when it comes to the treatment of Sikhs.

they are currently putting pressure on UK govt via above group ...appararently babbar khalsa international is drawing attention as radicalised faction

they are currently putting pressure on UK govt via above group ...appararently babbar khalsa international is drawing attention as radicalised faction

This is just pure jokes man, india is the embarassing uncle that never disappoints! Who remembers that crap frm early 2014 of supposed imminent attack near the coastal areas of gujarat frm babbar khalsa and their scuba warriors according to indian "intelligence"? Trust wen india is genuinely attacked by its enemies, it'll know about it, n it'll leave em cryin like little girls jus like wen the taj was attacked in mumbai. I remember that h@r@mi bandhari barkha dutt sayin on ndtv chatshow, was that mumbai attack indias 9/11? I couldnt stop laughin personally. Theyre so unsympathetic towards sikh suffering of past 30yrs, eg the dishonourin of our sisters in 84 in daylight in delhi, yet 1 middle class hindu kurri gets raped in the same city n all of a sudden enquiries, marches/protests n awareness is made in no time, n we r made to listen to that case over n over again. Heck they even gave her a bloody name aswel, such was the outcry. Yet they tell us to forget wat happened to our sisters.

This is just pure jokes man, india is the embarassing uncle that never disappoints! Who remembers that crap frm early 2014 of supposed imminent attack near the coastal areas of gujarat frm babbar khalsa and their scuba warriors according to indian "intelligence"? Trust wen indian is genuinely attacked by its enemies, it'll know about it, n it'll leave em cryin like little girls jus like wen the taj was attacked in mumbai. I remember that h@r@mi bandhari barkha dutt sayin on ndtv chatshow, was that mumbai attack indias 9/11? I couldnt stop laughin personally. Theyre so unsympathetic towards sikh suffering of past 30yrs, eg the dishonourin of our sisters in 84 in daylight in delhi, yet 1 middle class hindu kurri gets raped in the same city n all of a sudden enquiries, marches/protests n awareness is made in no time, n we r made to listen to that case over n over again. Heck they even gave her a bloody name aswel, such was the outcry. Yet they tell us to forget wat happened to our sisters.

only cos she was bahmin di ladki how many thousands are raped on a daily basis from sudhra and dalits

because the UK are busy sucking up to the two big eastern spenders they would eat jungle to get into Indian spending bonanza ...nalaik

it is so laughable it is pathetic , but, the UK govt I don't think has much intelligence on the ground there as they seem oblivious to the reconversions of the muslims and christians by the govts far right element