I'm Losing My Faith...

Guptsingh95

Hey folks,

I am starting to lose my faith in Sikhi, I feel that I have come to the right place, and perhaps someone on this forum can enlighten me.

Over the past few months, I have read various atheist literature from the likes of Richard Dawkins to Christopher Hitchens. I have also watched several videos on YouTube which are critical of faith in general, which have lead me to question my faith in Sikhi.

Take this video for example- 'Why do you believe your religion is the true religion' - (it is made by an atheist - who was previously a Muslim):

Here is another video on why religion is immoral. Although it primarily focuses on Christianity- it applies to all monothiestic faiths to be honest:

Please take time to watch these two videos so you can see where I am coming from.

Don't get me wrong, I still think Sikhi is a great belief system when compared to the Abrahamic faiths. I think the Guru's were revolutionaries - they dedicated their lives to spreading equality through womens rights, as well as breaking the cast system at the time. They also stood up for what they beleived in and were extremely brave to sacrifice their lives, and fight for the oppressed in Mughal India at the time. I also feel that the Guru Granth Sahib is a great moral code, contrary to the Old/New testament and the Koran. It is very eloquently written and poetic, and I can understand why it brings a great deal of happiness to people. But I am struggling to believe that it is a divine text from god. I am starting too feel that the Guru's were poets and philosophers, who wrote about a supreme creator, as opposed to being sent from god himself.

Please do leave your comments. Apologies if I am challenging your faith - I just want to broaden my understanding of Sikhi - and what it means to you. I have also come to this forum to revive my faith, and it would be great to hear your suggestions..

have you seen this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMNaPmmuHCs

and this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuW7e1yCVvc

there was a survey and over 90% athiests are closet worshipers because they dont like rules

also, iw ould personaly smack you hard if you said that in front of me

Satvinderpal Singh, many thanks for sharing those two videos, I will watch them. You said that you would smack me hard if I said that infront of you? Why are you taking this level of offence? I have clearly said I am open for suggestion - and that I am looking to revive my faith in Sikhi. Christian apologists have been handling a lot of critisism of the bible from Athiest and Muslims over the past 50 years - have they resorted to violence? It is people like you who are putting me off Sikhi. This forum is supposed to be for enlightened gursikhs - people of knowledge and giyaan - who are supposed to guide me to the right path. Not people who get all worked up by a mere statement which questions Sikhi.

Gupt ji, you have no right to say that gurbani is not the word of supreme waheguru. It does not matter whether you are born in sikh family or not but this is very offensive thing to say on a sikh forum.

Have you read guru granth sahib ji?

I do have the right. If I can't express my concerns on a Sikh forum, then where else is the right place? I try going to the gurdwara - but there is no English speaking giyaani who could help me. I am planning to meet Bhai Jagraj Singh the next time I am in London, and go to his Q&A session. I have read parts of the Guru Granth Sahib ji yes.

You've stated what you doubt. That is very easy to do.

You ask for suggestions. I suggest you tell us what you don't doubt. Tell us what you DO believe. Do you consider yourself having atheist beliefs? What specifically does that mean? What does it not mean?

You state you've read various atheist literature but then proceed to post mediocre youtube videos with no other indication you've read any literature. What is the strongest argument in that literature?

You isolate monothiestic faiths. Do you have an easier time understanding branches of Hindu practices? "Divine text from God" is not a single concept across faiths that are at odds in their basic beliefs. Sikhi believes in the right of others to have their own sincere beliefs. That includes respecting others believing something is "divine text from God".

Sikhi also believes in letting you think what you wish to think. The Guru's have not asked you to contemplate their human form or even divine "text". And it would be odd to get stuck there if you made the smallest effort understand the Sikh path.

If atheist belief looked in the mirror critically, it would realize two things. You will know that if you've read the literature,

1. The dogma of Atheist belief is similar to Christianity and Islam in many respects.

2. The endpoint of the most positive suggestions in atheist literature would be Sikhi.

Sikhi is probably most at ease with the other three, which ironically is a part of what makes it stand apart.

You've stated what you doubt. That is very easy to do.

You ask for suggestions. I suggest you tell us what you don't doubt. Tell us what you DO believe. Do you consider yourself having atheist beliefs? What specifically does that mean? What does it not mean?

You state you've read various atheist literature but then proceed to post mediocre youtube videos with no other indication you've read any literature. What is the strongest argument in that literature?

You isolate monothiestic faiths. Do you have an easier time understanding branches of Hindu practices? "Divine text from God" is not a single concept across faiths that are at odds in their basic beliefs. Sikhi believes in the right of others to have their own sincere beliefs. That includes respecting others believing something is "divine text from God".

Sikhi also believes in letting you think what you wish to think. The Guru's have not asked you to contemplate their human form or even divine "text". And it would be odd to get stuck there if you made the smallest effort understand the Sikh path.

If atheist belief looked in the mirror critically, it would realize two things. You will know that if you've read the literature,

1. The dogma of Atheist belief is similar to Christianity and Islam in many respects.

2. The endpoint of the most positive suggestions in atheist literature would be Sikhi.

Sikhi is probably most at ease with the other three, which ironically is a part of what makes it stand apart.

Many thanks for your reply buddasingh. These are the comments I would like to see on this forum - and it would be great if more people contribute the same way you are doing. I will post a response later tonight - I am currently in the middle of something at the moment.

WJKK WJKF

Whether you believe in Sikhi or not, there is a universal truth and being, which is the creator. Science cannot explain everything as people are lead to believe. Irregards of any name or organised religion, the believe of waheguru should be within your own soul. If it is not...find it.

No one can make you believe in Sikhi, only you can believe in Sikhi and waheguru. This is the very reason why we are here. Many "Sikhs" don't believe in the tenets of Sikhi themselves.

In life, we all go through difficult times and it is in these times where you will either find the support of waheguru or not. This will be decided by your mind at the time. When one is happy with their standard of life, they don't need waheguru, one will only call upon satnam when their in need, it is only the believer who needs the name constantly, in happy and sad times. As it is your mind, which is your biggest hurdle, nothing else.

I hope that you will find what we are all searching for in this life.

Guest Jacfsing2

Hey folks,

I am starting to lose my faith in Sikhi, I feel that I have come to the right place, and perhaps someone on this forum can enlighten me.

Over the past few months, I have read various atheist literature from the likes of Richard Dawkins to Christopher Hitchens. I have also watched several videos on YouTube which are critical of faith in general, which have lead me to question my faith in Sikhi.

Take this video for example- 'Why do you believe your religion is the true religion' - (it is made by an atheist - who was previously a Muslim):

Here is another video on why religion is immoral. Although it primarily focuses on Christianity- it applies to all monothiestic faiths to be honest:

Please take time to watch these two videos so you can see where I am coming from.

Don't get me wrong, I still think Sikhi is a great belief system when compared to the Abrahamic faiths. I think the Guru's were revolutionaries - they dedicated their lives to spreading equality through womens rights, as well as breaking the cast system at the time. They also stood up for what they beleived in and were extremely brave to sacrifice their lives, and fight for the oppressed in Mughal India at the time. I also feel that the Guru Granth Sahib is a great moral code, contrary to the Old/New testament and the Koran. It is very eloquently written and poetic, and I can understand why it brings a great deal of happiness to people. But I am struggling to believe that it is a divine text from god. I am starting too feel that the Guru's were poets and philosophers, who wrote about a supreme creator, as opposed to being sent from god himself.

Please do leave your comments. Apologies if I am challenging your faith - I just want to broaden my understanding of Sikhi - and what it means to you. I have also come to this forum to revive my faith, and it would be great to hear your suggestions..

ok, it's good that your thinking rationally, I saw the videos, but this doesn't apply to Sikhi at all! In history has any atheist laid down their life to save Christianity or Islam? No! In Sikh history, has a true savior been born to save those who believe opposite of what they did? Yes, Guru Tegh Bahadur, something to note about Atheists are they usually come from Christianity or Islam, that's because those religions were illogical from the start. You don't see lots of Amritdharis becoming Atheists, there's a reason for that.