What Sikhism Says About Egocentric Predicament?

Guest Ex-sikh

Guest Ex-sikh

It is a philosophical idea that we can't confirm the truth about reality and in the end our version of reality depends upon what we believe.Basically if I can't confirm what is real then why should I believe in a religion.

Consider these facts

There is 10% probability that you're dreaming right now.

20% that we might be inside a simulation like matrix.

Some probability that you might be in coma (because in coma consciousness is there)

And these are one of many possibilities that I can think about reality.So why follow religion if I can't even confirm what is real and what is not.maybe I am already in hell?

Through The Wormhole - S04E08 - Is Reality Real?: http://youtu.be/i2CZg5jo7ck

That's what gurbani is there for. To get us out of the Illusion, and to realise why we're here, to discover Truth, to see the Truth.

Reality is if course, not real- It's all a Khel, a game to discover Truth n see Truth (What God first discovered himself to be, hence it's his name, Sat) in everything, in every scenario we are placed in.

U dont have 2 belong to a Religion, Truth is not confined to a religion or sect. it's 1, it cannot be altered- it's just the Truth.

VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

Gurbani says to remember God awake, asleep, standing, sitting, etc. It is not bound to whatever state of mental status you are in. If you have found Gurbani in a coma and you are blessed enough to pursue a Sikh life in that coma, so be it. Intent, awareness and ultimately enlightenment is vital, not the state of consciousness. Real is as real as you perceive. If you die of a heart attack in a dream, then perhaps your dream was the final reality you experienced. If you die in a coma, perhaps that coma was the reality in which you last experienced what you perceive as real. If you are able to achieve enlightenment in the Matrix, then the objective would be achieved (true enlightenment, not what the computer program feeds you).

Reality is experience. What you experience is your reality. For a schizophrenic, their reality may be very different from your reality, but in the end, it is a reality that they experience. It is others that invalidate that person's reality by enforcing their terms of reality (collective reality - the perception of a collective vs. the individual) onto that person with schizophrenia and then suppressing that reality to the collective perception with medication and psychotherapy that is called disease. If the schizophrenic was a lone soul in the Amazon rainforest, perhaps his/her reality would be the true reality, as there is nobody there to state otherwise (Schizophrenia is a Western disorder. More traditional views on this disease are these people have a special ability to communicate with a spirit world that others do not have the capability of. Some have stated that schizophrenics are developed into shamans and medicine men/women in other cultures, under the guidance of another as them to work through the disorganized nature of the disorder and be able to wield the power they have and communicate/interact with the spirit world).

But perhaps religion is a Matrix fed altered state of consciousness created by an All powerful computer to suppress independent thought and distract from the quest of overthrowing the machine? Well, that is a reality that you would have to explore and derive your own conclusions on. But on the opposite side, perhaps the media, fashion, movies. alcohol, smoking and others are a collective means of suppressing society and distracting its true awakening to the real essence of Humanity and its true destiny by a few who wish to wield power at the expense and on the collective suppression of society - the many will serve the few...

Sikhism also is a firm believer in having a Guru, as even the name of a Nirgura - one without a Guru - is bad. So Sikhs do not ascribe to the viewpoint that you should simply pursue the truth without having adopted a spiritual master.

Guest GuptSeva

Egocentric predicament (a concept made by Ralph Barton Perry) is the problem of not being able to view reality outside of our own perceptions.

Now keep that in mind. We can't confirm the truth about reality. Us. Our version of relaity is based, limited and seen in the light of our own perceptions (not beliefs).

Now Sikhi gets around this. Reality is what Guru Granth Sahib Ji is telling us. Not our own views on reality. Our perceptions don't come into it. As we accept reality and the world to be what Guru Ji states it is. This is where accepting Guru Ji comes into it.

Egocentric predicament isn't a concept saying you can't confirm what is real and not real. Its about our perception skewing our view of reality. Reality still exists.

Lets put religion to one side. If you don't know what is real and not real, and can't confirm reality, then how can you confirm you exist? Lets take one more step, if you don't exist and I don't exist, what does exist?

All of these are doubts with no answers.

The question you should be asking yourself is the one Morphius askes Neo:

Do you take the Red Pill (stay full of doubt) or the Blue Pill (and let Sikhi show you how deep the rabbit hole goes)

My 2 cents!

Ex_Sikh, funny how you start with religion. Why not start with your family?

If this is not reality then possibly your mum is not your mum, your dad is not your dad, your siblings are not your siblings.

So you don't believe in religion, why believe in your dad? Go up to him a kick him up his back-side - THEN you will see reality !!!!!

Don't be a MURAKH, follow your Guru and He will show you the true reality.

Of couse nothing has any meaning you give it meaning. All so called truths at mind level are but subjectives truths . At the mental level objective truths do not exist. So in life it what works. What works is what experience you are trying to create. So in SIkhism you choose GOD over maya illusion via sense. Do Simran and go beyond the subjective senses. In other words blow your brain. Since to know GOD you have to be out of your mind.

The Truth=Nothing.

No Image, No sound, No Nothing- Just a Frequency beyond which mortals can comprehend. It is the Frequency of the Nothing, of the Truth- and we can live it while here on earth- we can live our True Nature- by Living Gurbani- the Guru- the door, the key to the Truth.

There is absolute truth then there is relative truth. From absolute truth view/perspective standpoint (Ikongkar/Mool Mantar), there is no ego only one non dual(Advait-Ikongkar) absolute reality. Just like sea is not aware of its wave (no separate I distinction), just like that from absolute view- absolute is not aware of its relative egoic separate I. It's all ONE in all, ALL in ONE...!!

Off course these things are left best to be experienced in one's personal spiritual journey as conceptual knowledge has limitations can only get you so far.

Guest Ex-sikh

Ex_Sikh, funny how you start with religion. Why not start with your family?

If this is not reality then possibly your mum is not your mum, your dad is not your dad, your siblings are not your siblings.

So you don't believe in religion, why believe in your dad? Go up to him a kick him up his back-side - THEN you will see reality !!!!!

Don't be a MURAKH, follow your Guru and He will show you the true reality.[/Of course there is a possibility that my parents are not real also there's a possibility that I might be not original one and a clone of myself.also there's a possibility that my own memories are not real.But atleast parents make me feel good.I am ]

• 8 months later...
Guest JustPassingThrough

Listen guys, The Matrix is a metaphor, and it's correctly summarized as BLUE PILL (go to sleep and wake up nonethewiser about the truth) or RED PILL (see how deep the rabbit hole goes).

The rabbit hole goes this deep - multiverses, parallel universes, universal connectedness, but also that we're just children = humans have been around for only 20,000 years, give or take, while the universe is over billions of years old. So, enjoy it!

The point of religion is go give meaning to life, provide social order, and bring ease to people's minds. As for GOD - look at it this way:

Can a dog perform logical reasoning and solve complex mathematical equations? No. So we humans are a superior species to dogs and other animals.

Can a plant walk and bark, listen to orders? No. So dogs and animals have superior intellect to plants.

Now, following that same train of logic, there must be a species or entity which is smarter than humans and observes our interior intellect with amusement.

Belief in a higher intellect allows our minds to process the current dimension by observing it from a higher dimension - think 3D vs 2D. And also, WaheGuru is comforting to say and can make you feel hopeful, that it's all good. I also feel like Sikhs are like the Jedis of the world, it's a cool peaceful warrior code, so I like choosing to be one.

To answer your question, Ex_Sikh, I say that you can believe whatever you want, it's your choice. With 7 Billion people in this world, you'll always find a few who will match your thinking, however many times you might change it, you are free to choose.

I think The Myth of Sisyphus might apply here:

http://dbanach.com/sisyphus.htm

Good luck on your journey through time and space!