Renaming "the Sikh Temple" To "the Sikh Church"

interesting info. In Punjab I've heard many people call Christian church as "GirjaGhar". Maybe Girja must mean Church in Punjabi

Not so much Punjabi per se, you see its important to remember who actually introduced Christianity to the Indian sub-continent. It wasn't the English....It was in fact the Portuguese. This, in many ways, also explains why the vast majority of Indian Christians (remember there are more Christians in India than there are Sikhs) are Catholic rather than any of the British protestant denominations.

Anyway, the point I was going to make was that the Portuguese word for 'church' is IGREJA, and thats why people in Punjab and all over India use the word 'girja'.

Not so much Punjabi per se, you see its important to remember who actually introduced Christianity to the Indian sub-continent. It wasn't the English....It was in fact the Portuguese. This, in many ways, also explains why the vast majority of Indian Christians (remember there are more Christians in India than there are Sikhs) are Catholic rather than any of the British protestant denominations.

Anyway, the point I was going to make was that the Portuguese word for 'church' is IGREJA, and thats why people in Punjab and all over India use the word 'girja'.

true I speak the lingo

First is that fact or your opinion? if it's really that stupid no one will reply and it'll get ignored and btw no one's forcing you to post.

Many threads I've started reading lately, bout 2 posts down, someone posting comment like mods close this thread blah blah blah.

Is this not a forum? A place where people can discuss stuff if they choose to - or not if they don't want too? (hint, hint).

Your like one of these football players telling the ref to send opponent off. Mods know how to do their job.

no matter in what way you think

this thread is useless and how much time have you wasted and how much time have you wasted for others

taking actions means helping !!

no matter in what way you think "Church" is a christian term , and we are not stupid enough to call our gurudwara's church

if that was the case all religions afraid of being judged like islam would call their temples church , do you have any idea how absurd this sounds?

this is psychological aspect

people who are afraid of their own image or things so that others should not harm them suspect these changes

the same way many of punjabis started shouted "hindu sikh bhai bhai " wherever they went after galughara ,it literaly means "we are afraid and we dont want to fight , please spare us"

are you that big of coward to say we should change our own name of temples gurudwara's to churches? NO !!!

guru sahib gave us a different look , khalsa is nyaara we are not here to go with the ways of the world, we make our own ways !!

if everyone followed this cowardly idealogy then people wont be fighting for wearing kakkars or turbans abord they would be cleanshaven , like most of the people who have accepted it as a defeat !!

stand your ground !!!

Hence this is a stupid topic , which serves no purpose !!!

you want to help , contact basics of sikhi, establish a team . do street prachar !! talking on forum isnt going to do anything !!

no matter in what way you think

this thread is useless and how much time have you wasted and how much time have you wasted for others

taking actions means helping !!

no matter in what way you think "Church" is a christian term , and we are not stupid enough to call our gurudwara's church

if that was the case all religions afraid of being judged like islam would call their temples church , do you have any idea how absurd this sounds?

this is psychological aspect

people who are afraid of their own image or things so that others should not harm them suspect these changes

the same way many of punjabis started shouted "hindu sikh bhai bhai " wherever they went after galughara ,it literaly means "we are afraid and we dont want to fight , please spare us"

are you that big of coward to say we should change our own name of temples gurudwara's to churches? NO !!!

guru sahib gave us a different look , khalsa is nyaara we are not here to go with the ways of the world, we make our own ways !!

if everyone followed this cowardly idealogy then people wont be fighting for wearing kakkars or turbans abord they would be cleanshaven , like most of the people who have accepted it as a defeat !!

stand your ground !!!

Hence this is a stupid topic , which serves no purpose !!!

you want to help , contact basics of sikhi, establish a team . do street prachar !! talking on forum isnt going to do anything !!

I did not say anything about Gurdwara, Church, ideologies or whatever else your chatting about, yet you are asking me if i'm a coward for allowing Temples and Gurdwaras to be called Churches?

What you talking about?

I simply pointed out, after I saw your post on the first page crying to the mods to close the thread, that this is a place of discussion. If you don't want to contribute something to the topic of conversation you don't have to. No one is forcing you now are they? I replied to your post on first page where you were crying to the mods to close the thread because it's what you want. Dude the world doesn't revolve around any one of us, you get it?

How much time did you waste writing that crap you came up with?

Anyways, IMO (well everyone has an opinion don't they), the word Gurdwara should be as well known as Church, Synagogue, Mosque etc. People should know by now Gurdwara in Punjabi = Gurdwara in English

We keep calling them Temple's which has a Generalised meaning.

SikhTempleLS7.jpg

church ? no we don't sit on pews , have an altar , or have a priest as such

synagouge ? no we do not keep a chair in the corner for a spirit to sit, we do not keep our granth in a cupboard , again no chairs to sit on, no women when 'unclean'

temple? no we don't have carvings dedicated to a god or gods , ban women when 'unpure'

MOsque? no we don't seat women in a seperate screened off section behind the men, or prevent women from speaking to congregation, or ban women during cycle

Gurdwara? yes this is Waheguru's gate at which we beg humbly for naam daan

church ? no we don't sit on pews , have an altar , or have a priest as such

synagouge ? no we do not keep a chair in the corner for a spirit to sit, we do not keep our granth in a cupboard , again no chairs to sit on, no women when 'unclean'

temple? no we don't have carvings dedicated to a god or gods , ban women when 'unpure'

MOsque? no we don't seat women in a seperate screened off section behind the men, or prevent women from speaking to congregation, or ban women during cycle

Gurdwara? yes this is Waheguru's gate at which we beg humbly for naam daan

You still call it Sikh "temple" though, don't you?

when you have the perfect literal word why would you ? besides that word was imposed on us by the lazy gorey ... now is the time to teach them properly about Sikhi OK ??

dharamshala is another word we should use ...to get us out of the the whole pomp mentality , it is where we go to learn about nimrata, dharam, sach, sewa, naam. bani, kirtan ....and to discuss those matters.

Sikh Learning centre ...lovely I like it