Being A Rich Sikh

Guest Sikh

I wonder which insecure Sikh made this sakhi up. Anyway, let's go through the list of holy people in Sikhi and you tell me which one of them dressed up and spent 1000 pounds or similar on one item:

Here is a list of holy people who did not follow your fabricated Sakhi:

Bhai Mani Singh ji

Baba Deep Singh ji

Bhai Taru Singh ji

Bhai Daya Singh ji

Bhai Himmat Singh ji

Bhai Kanhaiya ji

Baba Gurbaksh Singh ji

Sant Nand Singh ji

Sant Sundar Singh ji

Sant Gurbachan Singh ji

Sant Kartar Singh ji

Sant Jarnail Singh ji

Akali Phula Singh ji

Bhai Dharam Singh ji

Bhai Mokham Singh ji

Bhai Sahib singh ji

According to you none of these great souls had an effect on the world because they did not dress up like your fabricated Sakhi.

Dude can you stick the topic. This thread is not about what clothes people dress in (plus the Sakhi is true).

Anyways that's off the topic - The thread is about whether UK tax of 45% is Dasvand. I am not talking about India as India does not have a welfare state, the USA does not also have a welfare state (sorry USA people but you refuse medical treatment If no one has money and you have a two tier education system). The UK has a very good welfare state that fits the description of dasvand - the question is do I only need to give more? Also why the gurdwara? The gurdwara is not in a position to create opportunities and increase social mobility.

Also in my opinion all the people who give the dasvand need to be aware of what the gurdwara needs their money for. I am going to refer to UK gurdwaras who are scamming the sikh public.

In the UK the gurdwara is a religious building and therefore exempt from Tax. It gets money from the government to contribute to its keep. Also most UK gurdwaras have dodgy wiring to get free electricity and gas. The gurdwara gets money for panjabi class, gurmat class etc.

The committee will then go on stage and say they need money for a gurmat class and blackmail people into giving money that they are claiming from the government, a Gurmat camp counts as a community project. Every committee that I have come across does some money swindling. The Sikh helpline is a very good example of an organisation that claims money from the UK government and produces false reports of people saying they were bullied and they are resolving by talking.

Have any of you noticed that the gurdwara will feed langar for free that someone else in the Sangat has sponsored and made. The committee will then ask for money to make the building bigger as they want to building a wedding hall: the sangat will be happy that the gurdwara is getting bigger and give money. When the wedding hall is built they will get seva done at a reduced cost from the local sikh builder and get dodgy receipts to claim some costs from the government for community work. Once the hall is built they will then charge money for weddings thus generating more income.

Have any of you thought about what the gurdwara in the UK does with your money? Have you asked the gurdwara to produce a clear transparent report of it's income and expenditure? Do you seriously believe your committe in the UK is working for free? Do you think giving dasvand to make a building bigger benefits poor people?

The problem is the sangat is not aware that the gurdwara are making dodgy receipts and claiming money off the government. Also a lot of our people really want to help Sikhs so feel like this is the only way. Most are also superstitious and believe they will get both either good or bad luck if they do or do not give dasvand to the gurdwara. In my opinion the gurdwara is the last place to put your hard earned cash.

Many of the people who run UK gurdwara are after OBE from the prime Minster for community service. I have seen people following sikh leaders like sheep. Bibi Gurdev Kaur is a good example of this - apparently she freed sikh women by making them sing in a choir. White people fell for this because they think anyone dressed in ethnic clothes and speaking another language especially an ethnic short brown women is automatically oppressed. Are our women oppressed, and seriously singing helps free people?

Soho Road Baba Manmohan Singh is another example who similarly has a huge sheep following giving him dasvand that he claims off the government: same tactics of making a bigger building, getting people to sponsor langar, Renting out rooms in the gurdwara, creating a sikh school partly funded by government and then charging parents money. I know our sikh people want to help but I just wish our people were more aware and less superstitious. If you don't pay the gurdwara your not going to get bad luck, God is not going to punish you and your not Nastik. Recently at one of the Gurdwaras in the UK there was a documentary shown in the langar hall with all children present of a 'current' sikh issue after the India rape on a bus of the medical student.

The documentary that everyone was shows in the langar hall was of a father raping his daughter. Out of all the issues I don't think this was 'current' it wasn't appropriate and like sheep everyone went to the stage created in the langar hall and said it was an amazing topic. Now, what are the incidences of father raping child in the Sikh community? How common is this? It certainly is not a UK sikh issue and not even a India issue. The person wanted recognition and an award so created the movie but the issue was not current or hot. The most important issue in India currently for Sikhs is drug dealing across Pakistan Panjab border as it's quick big money for the youth who want to get rich quick. Now that would have been a much more fruitful and enjoyable problem solving debate. But what can you do - our community has a simple mind and still follows the gurdwara leaders like sheep and doing what they say because 'it's babaji' rather than looking around the world for themselves and critiquing the religious information presented to them.

My Friend, At heart I think you are a good person, for that fact that you came here to ask the Sangat's Opinions.

The thing is that 45% tax goes to ALOT of other stuff not the needed, think of Sikhs who are not rich, they still pay dasvand....

Sant Isher Singh Ji Rara Sahib Wale, Think of how much Maya came to Rara Sahib, yet they made due with just their Pension money.

My point is Take out Dasvand as it is Guru Maharaj's HUKAM, if you claim that it is not needed anymore then there are alot of things Nastik People can argue are not needed in modern times, there are people that claim that Amrit Vela is no longer important as now we lead busy lives... (NOT CALLING YOU A NASTIK!!!)

So Take out the Dasvand... Help the poor at any chance you get...

And then go ahead buy whatever you want Just remember to keep Rehit, and not let the flow of Maya take over you :)

Money isn't the only way to help others out! That's importnat for all to remember!

I am not saying that dasvand is not needed - we must create a society with fair equal opportunities but what I am saying is that in the UK my tax is dasvand: this does not apply to the countries which do not have a welfare state like USA or India. Basically I am saying that I already do dasvand.

Amritvela is always needed to reflect, people who are busy are not reflecting and cleaning their souls. Also it's scientifically proven that sunrise leads to a different chemical reaction in the body, more productive overall as it is keeping with our natural body clock known as the circadian rhythm.

We're all free to do what we want rich sikh so do what u feel like doing. But I would advise doing what u feel is right. I gave money to Oxfam for people who couldn't afford food etc. Kids in 3rd world countries where there may not be great job prospects starve. Many of their parents know they can't provide for them, but have them anyway- attachment to culture is a strange thing as is lust(the world is obsessed with it.)

Just do good, be good, practice spirituality-Truth and listen to your heart- and God who resides there.

Satnaam

We're all free to do what we want rich sikh so do what u feel like doing. But I would advise doing what u feel is right. I gave money to Oxfam for people who couldn't afford food etc. Kids in 3rd world countries where there may not be great job prospects starve. Many of their parents know they can't provide for them, but have them anyway- attachment to culture is a strange thing as is lust(the world is obsessed with it.)

Just do good, be good, practice spirituality-Truth and listen to your heart- and God who resides there.

Satnaam

I don't donate to just one and I would not do oxfam as I know they eat around 80 of the money themselves. Medicin san , british red cross, water aid, nspcc apart from physically fundraising for others...my sis sponsors a couple of kids directly from when she was single

I don't donate to just one and I would not do oxfam as I know they eat around 80 of the money themselves. Medicin san , british red cross, water aid, nspcc apart from physically fundraising for others...my sis sponsors a couple of kids directly from when she was single

Ok cool- yeh I heard about charities being corrupt like that- I'm sure abit of Internet research will show the most legit ones.

Satnaam

sorry USA people but you refuse medical treatment If no one has money and you have a two tier education system

US never refuse any medical treatment to anyone. It is actually against the law to refuse medical attention to anyone who needs it. Please explain the 2 tier education system.

The only legit sikh organization i see is Seva84 and the it is one of our forum members who started such a great sewa.

I don't give anything to anyone except i really like what they do. Meanwhile, my sewa is fixed on one family for the past 5 years and it will go on as long as the person with medical condition lives. Everyone can do on their own and i like that the Original poster clearly understand his duty as Sikh. If all sikhs contribute their 10th part of Taan, Maan & Dhan then most of our problems will be gone.

This is our religious tax of 10% to help needy. But most important part of giving daasvandh is doing it with your soul and body as stated by jkv bhaenji

US never refuse any medical treatment to anyone. It is actually against the law to refuse medical attention to anyone who needs it. Please explain the 2 tier education system.

In order to get healthcare one would need insurance. If you don't pay insurance - no healthcare, if your insurance does not cover it then no healthcare.

In the UK no one pays insurance. There is not this added cost or burden. In the UK the health service is free to all. Also in the USA the quality of healthcare varies - some centres are very good and others are appaling. In the UK it is more or less equal with quality everywhere and your not going to get a lower quality of product: eg I had my teeth filled for free when I was a child and My dentist used the expensive white fillers rather than the cheap metal ones. In the USA I cannot see that happening. The health service in the USA is two tier - or poorer people get a less good quality service than richer people who will get better. It's like first class and second class. The UK structure and treatment is a lot better than the USA which still divides the rich and poor based on their insurance.

See here

http://www.economist.com/news/leaders/21618788-americas-health-care-system-remains-dysfunctional-it-could-be-made-better-how-fix

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/the-brutal-truth-about-americarsquos-healthcare-1772580.html

Please explain the 2 tier education system.

In the USA you have state and private schools. The difference between the two in huge. In the UK we mainly have state schools. The difference between our state and private schools is less than that in the USA. I attended a UK state school and it was better than the number one private school. In America that does not happen and the lack of resouces and opportunity creates a two tier education system. In the UK this does not exist to the same level as that in America (although increasing tuition fees, removing grants will create a two tier system for the UK). When this happens you get the richer people being educated better, the poorer people getting a crap education and it continues. Poor people will spend their life thinking they were 'dumb' rather than think of the education they received and rich people will believe they were 'clever' and therefore the poor people deserved what happened to them.

Denying people access or rather giving people access to lower quality resources leads to social inequality, less social mobility and the richer getting richer and the poorer getting poorer which causes the 'rich verses poor' wealth, education and health inequality.

See here

http://m.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2013/05/how-americas-2-tiered-education-system-is-perpetuating-inequality/276246/