Sign in to follow this  
Parminderkaur69

Modern Sikh Women

The modern women has to balance work and career with family if she is married. But everything has compromises. Some are not negotiable. For example shaving and removing facial hair, etc in order to fit in the westernized work environment. Arranged marriages are dying so dating is an area of conflict in Sikh panth. Determining how many and when to have children needs negotiation with husband. Divorce must be an option. So what other compromises and negotiations are required for the modern Sikhni, especially those in their 20s and 30s.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Guest Jacfsing2

The modern women has to balance work and career with family if she is married. But everything has compromises. Some are not negotiable. For example shaving and removing facial hair, etc in order to fit in the westernized work environment. Arranged marriages are dying so dating is an area of conflict in Sikh panth. Determining how many and when to have children needs negotiation with husband. Divorce must be an option. So what other compromises and negotiations are required for the modern Sikhni, especially those in their 20s and 30s.

NO DIVORCE, NO KESH-REMOVAL, everything else is ok, divorce is wrong for a particular reason, you promise to the Guru to be married for your life. Kesh-removal is bad for obvious reasons.

NO DIVORCE, NO KESH-REMOVAL, everything else is ok, divorce is wrong for a particular reason, you promise to the Guru to be married for your life. Kesh-removal is bad for obvious reasons.

What if you have an abusive cheating husband?

We knew an Amritdhari couple where husband was verbally abusive, did drugs and cheated on his singhni. Singhni tried so hard to give him second chance, but nothing changed. What do you suggest then?

Funny thing is that when the news got out that they are getting divorced, everyone without any hesitation pointed fingers at Singhni for ruining their kids' lives.

• Like 2

"Funny this is that when the news got out that they are getting divorced, everyone without any hesitation pointed fingers at Singhni for ruining their kids' lives."

Standard sexist community.

Edited by Questioner
  • Like 1

We knew an Amritdhari couple where husband was verbally abusive, did drugs and cheated on his singhni. Singhni tried so hard to give him second chance, but nothing changed. What do you suggest then?

Funny thing is that when the news got out that they are getting divorced, everyone without any hesitation pointed fingers at Singhni for ruining their kids' lives.

For a start he has broken his amrit and promise to the Guru, if he can't even be honest to akal purakh, what chance had his wife got. Divorce sounds perfectly applicable here, provided that other avenues such as rehabilitation, counciling etc have been tried first.

Problem these days is that married couples both have a lot of ego and not a lot of sacrifice/adjustment etc every little problem instead of addressing it and trying to resolve it stubbornness and ego leads it to continue. Divorce is seen as the easy way out. It should be the last resort not the first.

• Like 4

Divorce doesn't exist for Gursikhs because they are married to Akal Purakh not the other person per se, however they are attached to this individual as sangat for the journey through life to mission goal . However if that sangat is non-existent or has become kusangat surely one has a right to leave that pairing for one's own bhagti's sake and the sake of any children who could get turned away from Akal Purakh by that party?

Guest Jacfsing2

You can't be Amritdhari and practice adultery, nor can you take drugs, where did this guy get his Amrit from? Some Baba or something?

There are rules in an Anand Karaj which the husband and wife have to abide by equally. Giani Pinderpal Singh Ji did a katha on the duties of a husband and wife in Sikhi. If there is a problem then the couple should seek guidance from Guru Ji.

• Like 1

I love it when people say this I'm looking at a divorce myself my singhni accused me of hitting and stealing money from her and then denied it her parents who are amratdhari didn't ask her why she made the allegations they just said we believe Her full stop. So what's the solution to this then? She can accuse me of hitting next she could accuse me of a lot worse which could get me put in prison so what's the solution then?

I love it when people say this I'm looking at a divorce myself my singhni accused me of hitting and stealing money from her and then denied it her parents who are amratdhari didn't ask her why she made the allegations they just said we believe Her full stop. So what's the solution to this then? She can accuse me of hitting next she could accuse me of a lot worse which could get me put in prison so what's the solution then?

send her to pe ke to chill her heels, appe akkal auni when her folks give her daily lectures , make it clear to her folks beforehand that you are not divorcing her yet but if she ever puts false accusations like that you will bring her in front of panj piare to Answer to Guru ji for it. They will understand what she did was wrong because no one brings Panj up for ehme gallan

• Like 1

She's trying to get panj piarre to come see me but that's not gonna happen to give someone a second chance when it comes to domestic violence is something I can't do I can't take that risk especially as she works in social services

She's trying to get panj piarre to come see me but that's not gonna happen to give someone a second chance when it comes to domestic violence is something I can't do I can't take that risk especially as she works in social services

jump the gun , you go to them and state the case before the whole thing gets out of hand ... I'm a female but I would still say put her 'clever' self in the correct place , if you feel she may use her profession to get the agencies onto you you can go talk to a solicitor now , get the papertrail started to show that you have already discussed with legal profession false allegations, did she report to police ?

• Like 1

Her mum lot are arguing about money still, even though I've proven i haven't taken anything, I wouldn't marry a amratdhari girl again, taking amrat had just become as status for a lot of people,her whole family is amratdhari her dad does Paath at the gudwara and even he lied! Do people not fear Guru JI anymore? Taking amrat is the first stage only when we depart this earth and we enter Maharajs court and our actions is put in front of us will we know if we are true gursikhs

Vjkkvjkf

No she didn't report it she denied it when I said put your hand on a gutka

Her mum lot are arguing about money still, even though I've proven i haven't taken anything, I wouldn't marry a amratdhari girl again, taking amrat had just become as status for a lot of people,her whole family is amratdhari her dad does Paath at the gudwara and even he lied! Do people not fear Guru JI anymore? Taking amrat is the first stage only when we depart this earth and we enter Maharajs court and our actions is put in front of us will we know if we are true gursikhs

Vjkkvjkf

No she didn't report it she denied it when I said put your hand on a gutka

I stand with what I said go to the panj yourself and explain it totally and get them to do sadda on those three for pesh, if the panj are really listening they will know where the truth lies and root out the liars and give punishment and clear you from any accusations

• Like 1