Football Grounds - Safe?

Big_Tera

Guest Jacfsing2

Are football grounds safe to go to for a Sikh? I know some Asians are starting to go to matches. but what about Sikhs going?

Will there be hostility or racism?

I am planning on going to wembley for one of englands matches

Just Go if that's what you want, no amount of racism should stop you from knowing that Guru Sahib is with you.

This ain't the 1980's anymore. Dastars are a very common sight in stadiums all over the country. I've been to Highbury (sorry, the 'Emirates'), Stamford Bridge and St. Mary's and even as far north as Molyneaux (Wolves) and you meet alot of Sikhs in the grounds. Chelsea and QPR have always been the traditional strongholds of the massive west London communities of Hounslow and Southall respectively.

As jagsaw has mentioned, its not the 80s anymore man, come on! Those days of banana throwing at black players in england r long gone, n we should b proud that in this country stamping out racism has been achieved. Infact ive jus seen on the telly, a very prominent sikh storyteller, bhai roop singh, in the stands at deepdale (preston north end).

Then there r those bhatra singhs, who sat behind alex ferguson for many years. At anfield (liverpool), we have many brown ppl in the stands. Times have changed bigtime. Same cannot be said tho, in eastern europe, balkans n spain.

West Bromwich, wolves man ud Liverpool have Sing match attenders and some of the biggest Sikh support since the 70s. Villa slowly have had Singhs inthe crowd as with arsenal who have some of the largest black crowd

. Today I was watching Preston v manu in the cup and there was a nihung Singh inthe crowd and another Singh both were supporting Preston. dunno bout England never been to a game but support England from my Tv. coventry have Sikh supporters

Leeds had a big racist problem but old punjabi blokes do support them as they were good on early 70s late 60s

Reitterate all above points. Its 2015, not 1985. If you're attending premiere league level then there's no problem.....but, probably better to select seating in the less hardcore parts of the stadium (the cheap seats). On the other hand avoid the most expensive tier as the atmosphere is a bit dull. If you're a fan but have not seen it live at the ground then you're in for a treat. Enjoy.

Thanks for the advice. I am not a turban wearing Sikh myself but I am going with an older uncle to the match and was more concerned with his safety then mine as I am a mona.

Its interesting about the man united singhs didnt know there were regular Sikh supporters.

I know its not the 80's anymore but you still get those hooligan fans out there.

btw Preston North end is my home town but I moved to London about 15 years ago. I still support PNE though though I have adopted the club of West Ham since moving south.

Thanks for the advice. I am not a turban wearing Sikh myself but I am going with an older uncle to the match and was more concerned with his safety then mine as I am a mona.

Its interesting about the man united singhs didnt know there were regular Sikh supporters.

I know its not the 80's anymore but you still get those hooligan fans out there.

btw Preston North end is my home town but I moved to London about 15 years ago. I still support PNE though though I have adopted the club of West Ham since moving south.

Brother you should have mentioned the 'West Ham' angle at the beginning. Leaving aside champoinship football which, to some extent, still has a tiny bit of a problem, the Premiership is per capita / population the richest sports league on earth. As planet earth's league it is a showcase league where any form of racism is not tolerated least of all because it damages the economic model. There may be, however, one exception to this rule and that exception is West Ham. Leaving aside the champoinship club of Milwall, West Ham still remains the club of choice of the 'white flight' racists that fled to Essex and Kent. Alot of what I'm saying here is my own opinion because I've never attended a match at Upton Park so perhaps some here who have can give a better insight as to how West Ham's reputation has changed. But, as you say you are a relative newcomer to London on the one hand I salute your loyalty to your east London manor...i.e West Ham. Tradition means a lot and I lament how our kids these days go with the fashion and don't understand tribal loyalties in football. For example, traditionally, from day one a century ago, most of Chelsea's fans lived in the London Borough of Hounslow especially Feltham and most of QPR's fans lived in the London Borough of Ealing, including Southall. My dad was born in Southall and he followed half of his mates in following QPR, which I did too. The other half followed Brentford. Now, you may at this point ask why Brentford's fan base was from the London Borough of ealing rather than the London Borough of Hounslow in which Brentfors exists ?

I know you're not asking but I'll tell anyway. It's because historically Brentford does not belong with Hounslow. It only got incorporated into Hounslow in the 1960's. Historically it belongs not with the hundred of Isleworth (in which Hounslow belongs) but belongs instead with the hundred of Norwood (green) in which Southall also belongs.

Now, you're probably wandering why I'm mentioning all this on a 'Sikh' forum and the answer is because it is relevant.

This is a tiny country we live in and yet this tiny country has somewhow managed to make the most watched, most richest, most powerfull sporting league on planet earth and the reason for this, despite our opposition in places such as Germany, Spain and Italy for example being better than us, is because of the authenticity and true tribal loyalty. Acts of Parliament (London Boroughs Acts) i.e government measures to invent loyalty have had no affect on football loyalty and that is what the world envies and respects. In the same regards we should remember how Punjab was NEVER, EVER part of India. Never. But only became so in 1947 because of the lies the and false promises the Indians fed us.

D'ya still not see ?

Let me spell it out:

The English language was seen as a vulgar laguage spoken by pendus. The Normans invaded from France. They came up with the Magna Carta which to this day remains as the cornerstone of the Laws of Canada, England, America and much of the world. They embraced the 'vulgar language of the pendu unpadhs: English' and they conducted an in-depth survey of the villages, towns and cities of England. In that survey, they put Brentford with Southall. To this day, only when it comes to football loyalty, Southall residents have remained true to the Doomesday Book, and to hell with everything else, and remained true per se. THIS is what has made the premier league the richest and most respected sporting league on earth. THIS same respect for ourselves in terms of who we are will gain us respect.