British Army Examines Plans To Create A Sikh Regiment

DiscoverSikhism

We Enlist whilst they examine how to attack darbar sahib

Biggest hypocrites and bigots are those who enlist for the British whilst they destroy your very existence

Don't fall for the trap Anglo Sikh love is a gold digg for the Brits

Don't fall for the trap Anglo Sikh love is a gold digg for the Brits

Fantastic news.

Unfortunately, this idea was disbanded after Sir Trevor Phillips, the then head of the CRE (Commission for Racial Equality) suggested it may lead to accusations of racism. He was wrong.

It is interesting and ironic to note that it is the former Conservative Defence Minister Sir Nicholas Soames who is urging his fellow ministers and the MoD to raise a Sikh Regiment. It was his grandfather, Sir Winston Churchill, who had heaped lavish praise upon the martial skills of the Sikhs 65 years ago.

Listening to the BBC Asian Network debate with Nihal, I was disappointed to hear that most of the Sikhs including the normally articulate Jagraj Singh come up stuck against the diatribe that was dished out by those opposing such a regiment. Furthermore, Nihal and other caller's in to the show couldn't quite grasp the fact that whilst Sikhs may have fewer contributors to the world wars compared to muslim's and hindu's, they were over-represented due to their small numbers in the population as a whole. As a percentage or fraction of the population as a whole, Sikhs were far over represented.

The fact is, regiments will demand uniformity. Attaching isolated Sikhs in various companies or regiments means lack of uniformity. A separate Sikh regiment will require all Sikhs to wear a turban and therefore look the same. It's part of the uniform and uniforms help instil discipline and order. This was not mentioned. I wish I could have called in but I couldn't get through and thereafter I was busy.

With us Sikhs its about quality not quantity.

I should however, also mention, that it is Paul Uppal MP and Sir Soames MP - two conservative politicians who are urging the MoD. Is this the tories trying to appease the Sikhs over the 1984 debacle I wonder?

Without Guru- Guru's shabad, Gur shabad gyan- sikh is dead as dead fish outside water. Sikh relationship to Guru(ultimately shabad, shabad gian-pure inner consciouness) as fish is to water.

It's alive, live Gur-shabad, Gur-Shabad Gyan infused into sikh consciouness(surti) gives sikh strength not sikh empty rhetoric anakh or fake egoic conditioned mind.

I am so tired of self proclaimed historians turning sikhs into this fake garab gajini badassh tribe of people, making us look like typical warrior based on our cultural heritage than spiritual heritage..totally ignoring source of strength...even stories of our past shaheeds our historians didn't do good job providing how past shaheeds were able to endure so much torture in hands of oppressive regimes..They turned great story of shaheeds into excessive personality worship of outer sikh image etc.

This fake sense of security ,fake false sense of false image on false premises or pretences- are costing us big time as our young generations are failed to deliver actual sikh character defined by gurbani, making youngsters quite egoistical, arrogant, live in past glorious history- la la land, entitled-lazy, quite self righteous mixed with ego/pride. They wear honorable bana as badge of honor yet failed to deliver in character as askhalsa pointed out.

Our ancestors-anglo sikh war, baba jwala singh regiment had gurbani on their lips, had gurbani shallow their egoic conditioned mind, had gurbani- alive bir ras jungi shabad infused into consciousness gave them energy of monumental proportions. They also saw through clear pure perception of intuitive gur-shabad consciousness as opposed to their egoic conditioned mind.

We need to realize there is a difference between genuine pride and gajini type of false pride/ego.
Guru Maharaj has said, ਗਰਬ ਗੰਜਨ ਦੁਸਟ ਭੰਜਨ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਦਾਇਕ ਕਾਮ || Thou art the Destroyer of ego, the vanquisher of tyrants and performer of works leading to salvation.
Lets stay away from gajnini type of false pride, really realize essence source of strength and energy rather than attaching our selves with falsehood- tribe, lineage, caste etc.

Guru Maharaj has set very high standards for sikh (Sant-Sipahi) as here in sri dasam bani he cautions us not to be turned into typical badassh type warrior who forgets its source..Here all the previous badassh types warriors came and went..what makes us think sikhs proud of gajini type of false pride have any chance?. Wake up recognize the source of all strength and you cannot go wrong.

ਜੋਗੀ ਜਤੀ ਬ੍ਰਹਮਚਾਰੀ ਬਡੇ ਬਡੇ ਛਤ੍ਰਧਾਰੀ ਛਤ੍ਰ ਹੀ ਕੀ ਛਾਇਆ ਕਈ ਕੋਸ ਲੌ ਚਲਤ ਹੈਂ ॥
जोगी जती ब्रहमचारी बडे बडे छत्रधारी छत्र ही की छाइआ कई कोस लौ चलत हैं ॥
The Yougis, celibates and students observing celibacy, many great sovereigns, who walk several miles under the shade of canopy.
ਬਡੇ ਬਡੇ ਰਾਜਨ ਕੇ ਦਾਬਿਤ ਫਿਰਤਿ ਦੇਸ ਬਡੇ ਬਡੇ ਰਾਜਨ ਕੇ ਦ੍ਰਪ ਕੋ ਦਲਤ ਹੈਂ ॥
बडे बडे राजन के दाबित फिरति देस बडे बडे राजन के द्रप को दलत हैं ॥
Who conquer the countries of many great kings and bruise their ego.
ਮਾਨ ਸੇ ਮਹੀਪ ਔ ਦਿਲੀਪ ਕੈਸੇ ਛਤ੍ਰਧਾਰੀ ਬਡੋ ਅਭਿਮਾਨ ਭੁਜ ਦੰਡ ਕੋ ਕਰਤ ਹੈਂ ॥
मान से महीप औ दिलीप कैसे छत्रधारी बडो अभिमान भुज दंड को करत हैं ॥
The Sovereign like Mandhata and the Canopied Sovereign like Dalip, who were proud of their mightly forces.
ਦਾਰਾ ਸੇ ਦਿਲੀਸਰ ਦੁ੍ਰਜੋਧਨ ਸੇ ਮਾਨਧਾਰੀ ਭੋਗ ਭੋਗ ਭੂਮਿ ਅੰਤ ਭੂਮਿ ਮੈ ਮਿਲਤ ਹੈਂ ॥੮॥੭੮॥
दारा से दिलीसर दु्रजोधन से मानधारी भोग भोग भूमि अंत भूमि मै मिलत हैं ॥८॥७८॥
The emperor like Darius and the great egoist like Duryodhana, after enjoying the earthly pleasures, finally merged in the earth.8.78.

Fantastic news.

Unfortunately, this idea was disbanded after Sir Trevor Phillips, the then head of the CRE (Commission for Racial Equality) suggested it may lead to accusations of racism. He was wrong.

It is interesting and ironic to note that it is the former Conservative Defence Minister Sir Nicholas Soames who is urging his fellow ministers and the MoD to raise a Sikh Regiment. It was his grandfather, Sir Winston Churchill, who had heaped lavish praise upon the martial skills of the Sikhs 65 years ago.

Listening to the BBC Asian Network debate with Nihal, I was disappointed to hear that most of the Sikhs including the normally articulate Jagraj Singh come up stuck against the diatribe that was dished out by those opposing such a regiment. Furthermore, Nihal and other caller's in to the show couldn't quite grasp the fact that whilst Sikhs may have fewer contributors to the world wars compared to muslim's and hindu's, they were over-represented due to their small numbers in the population as a whole. As a percentage or fraction of the population as a whole, Sikhs were far over represented

Bro did u hear that h@rami kutthha, vijay, frm bham, a typical typical sikh-hating panjabi hindu spouting his crap? It was disgraceful, i sent a text into the show, nice n early, typically/mysteriously it never got read out! He kept calling sikhs traitors, coz we did not support the crappy mutiny in 1857. Im gettin sick n tired of this rubbish now, sweardown! I wrote a message to the show, stating, how sikhs were NOT the only 1s who destroyed the mutiny. We did so, along with panjabi muslims, pathans, gurkhas and the maharaja of kashmir, YET, sikhs r always singled out by these scumbag gangus. Wat that fool vijay fails to realise is, those who mutinied against the brits, were all originally part of the british east india army in the 1st place, so where was their loyalty then? Only till pig/beef was used by brits, was their last straw.

On this subject tho, sikhs would b idiots to join the brit army, jus stupid cannon fodder for illegal brit wars. As mentioned, this myth that sikhs have an illustrious history wit brit army is nonsense. They stole out empire, stole our jewels, deleted many things, such as shastar/raag vidya frm history, tried to auction off harmandir sahib, massacred nihangs, jallianwala bagh, put mahants in gurdwaras, split our homeland n gave advice to indira. Wheres this gud relationship? Its more a relationship of a step dad n a beaten kid. Im shocked that this crap idea has resurfaced, probably a ploy to get last min votes b4 elections.

Fantastic news.

Unfortunately, this idea was disbanded after Sir Trevor Phillips, the then head of the CRE (Commission for Racial Equality) suggested it may lead to accusations of racism.

Yes but Trevor Phillips got involved after complaints by Hindus and the Indian High Commission in London.

This is why I am shocked and dissapointed by most of the comments on this thread. Many of you don't seem to realise this but you're playing right into the hands of the Indian government. Don't you see that it was them, last time, that were running around like headless chickens desperately trying to put a stop to this because they feared it would give Sikhs legitamacy in their assertion of being seperate from India and Hindus in general. It was them that put a stop to it last time but this time, judging by the comments here, we Sikhs are determined to shaft ourselves on their behalf.

Not only would this give our youth the military training they need but also advance our claim of being a race seperate from India.

Remember also, that in the Sikh Regiments of the British Army in years gone by, the Army instantly court-marshalled and dismissed any Sikh that EVER EVER cut a single hair of his beard or head. Keen to install the Khalsa spirit the British insisted the Sikh soldier was a real Amritdhari Sikh. In contrast, the current Sikh Regiment of the Indian Army has an official policy that sas the soldier must have a trimmed beard, i.e can NOT be an amritdhari. Remember that before you oppose it and remember who is cheering on your opposition.

...In contrast, the current Sikh Regiment of the Indian Army has an official policy that sas the soldier must have a trimmed beard, i.e can NOT be an amritdhari. Remember that before you oppose it and remember who is cheering on your opposition.

Could I please ask what the source of the above quoted statement is?

Could I please ask what the source of the above quoted statement is?

There is no source for it because it is untrue.

Sikhs are required to tie their beards or make them presentable, not trim them.

I'm no fan of the failed Indian experiment, but the baseless demonisation of India by some of our brothers and sisters is quite tiresome. Their record is bad enough, we needn't embellish it with lies.