Why Has Waheguru Blessed Us With A Son With Autism?

OneZ

Thank you for the encouraging posts. I've recently taught my son how to do "matha tekh" to BabaJi's picture and try to say Waheguru. He sleeps to Waheguru Simran and just recently for the first time, sat for more than an hour in a Gurdwara without any fuss! This is amazing and very promising progress. We will continue to pray for him and his atma.

Forever seeking.

My friend I suggest if possible you can teach him to use a Mala. And allow him to do waheguru Mantar as much as he can!

I am reminded of this inspirational sikhi from Se Kinney!

Around 1970 a lady by the name of Joginder Kaur came to Baba Ji. The lady appealed to Baba Ji, My parents village in Ramtatwali near Dholwaha in Hoshiarpur and my in laws are from the nearby village of Gondpur. I have a younger brother who is disabled. He cannot hear or speak properly or communicate his needs to others. His legs are crooked and he is unable to walk properly due to pains in his legs. He is also mentally subnormal. When I was at home, I would look after him. My mother is mentally retarded and just about manages to look after herself. Another younger brother of mine Shankar Singh has a business in Ludhiana so cannot visit often. Anyhow, a simpleton like my brother would not survive in the city. Secondly Baba Ji, the whole world, be it your brother, sister or relatives, only tolerate you when in need. After many days of deliberating, I have come to appeal at your feet. If you give permission, may I bring him to stay here at the Gurdwara? At least here, he will get a decent meal. I will come to visit every few days to check on him. Baba Ji enquired, How old is your brother and what is his name? Joginder Kaur replied, Baba Ji he is about 40 years old. We call him by the name of Sadhu. Baba Ji remarked to the lady You have given him a very nice name. Moreover, Bibi Ji the Gurus home is a refuge for the homeless, haven of strength for the powerless and honour is obtained by the dishonoured. If one does not get shelter in the Gurus house, where else will one get refuge? Bring him here without hesitation and we will look after him as much as we can. Hearing these encouraging words from Baba Ji, Joginder Kaur went back to her parents house, brought Sadhu Singh on a mule cart to the Gurdwara. Seeing Sadhu Singh walking up aided by others Baba Ji said, So youve come to stay my good man? Baba Ji fed him langar and gave him something to drink. When Sadhu Singh had eaten about 8 chapattis an attendant, Bhai Amar Singh, who served langar asked Baba Ji, This self absorbed person goes on eating and eating. He keeps onwolfing down all that I serve him. I am worried that he will fall ill. Baba Ji smiled, It doesnt matter. Keep feeding him if he wants more. If his hunger cannot be satisfied in the Gurus house, where else can his hunger be satiated? This time make sure he gets to eat his fill, whatever happens later well see to it. Bhai Sadhu Singh ate another four or five chapattis finally raising his hands in appreciation and was very pleased. His sister sat a little while longer and then left for her village. Everyday when Baba Ji would recite his Sukhmani Sahib after Nitnem he would send a Singh to fetch Sadhu Singh. Baba Ji would seat Sadhu Singh beside himself whilst Baba Ji read the prayers. Sadhu Singh would remain seated the whole time whether he heard the prayers or not. After a few days, Baba Ji gave him a rosary of his own and showed him how to count it. He then turned to Sadhu and said aloud in his ear, Keep saying Waheguru, Waheguru all the while that you are sat with me. Baba Ji showed Sadhu Singh how to progress one bead after another when he said Waheguru. Baba Ji then asked, Did you understand what I told you? He then said, Well ok, now show me how you are going to say Waheguru. Bhai Sadhu progressed through the whole rosary saying Wardu Wardu because he was debilitated in speech. Baba Ji was very pleased to hear Sadhu Singhs Wardu, Wardu effort at simran and again said in his ear, Go on repeating Waheguru all day on your rosary. Relaxing a bit Baba Ji said, Now the matter is resolved. In a few months, Bhai Sadhu Singhs appetite was stable and he started to walk unaided on his own. His deafness improved, his speech was becoming clearer and more recognisable. His pronunciation of wardu now sounded closer to Waheguru only with a little lisp in it. Whenever he got time, he would either start sweeping the floors or start weeding the fields with a hoe. Such was the grace of the Guru that in about six months he was strong as any other man and was able to dig with a spade. He would even repair any beds or cots in the Gurdwara. Whilst working he would continue to recite Waheguru, Waheguru. He would hear no gossip through his ear. He carried on with selfless service with his hands and constantly repeated Waheguru with his tongue. So engrossed did he become in this simran and seva that after his morning meal he would pick up his spade, hoe and shears and continuously tend the fields surrounding the Gurdwara. If he got hungry, he would come and eat, otherwise he would carry on working whilst continuously reciting Waheguru gurmantar. He would sit morning andevening when Nitnem was recited whether he could hear it or not. In the second year, Baba Ji saw the service Sadhu had been carrying out and was pleased with his progress. As a result, he arranged for panj pyaras to baptise Sadhu who had soon became Sadhu Singh. Sadhu Singh who was without refuge, after taking the shelter of the Guru obtained the dual bounty of Seva and simran, thus becoming independent; So much so, he was now a positive help to others through his endeavours of selfless service. He would tend to and plant vegetables that would be used regularly in the langar. In fact, he would make sure that seasonal vegetables were constantly available for langar. Furthermore, his constant recitation of Waheguru after his baptism was so profound that even when he was deep in sleep his voice could be heard saying Waheguru! Waheguru! Many a time, we quietly stood beside his bed and listened to his simran whilst he was sleep for up to 15-20 minutes. He would retire to bed with his rosary and whilst chanting Waheguru, would fall asleep but he would continue to recite Waheguru as he slept. We all reported this habit of chanting in his sleep to Baba Ji, who also witnessed Sadhu Singh reciting Waheguru in his sleep. Then Baba Ji turned to us and said, This is the fruit of truly, devotionally and selflessly attaching oneself to the Lords feet. This is because he does his simran all day whilst performing seva without taking any rewards in return. Morning and evening, he tries to listen to Nitnem. He neither listens to gossip through his ears nor slanders anyone by needlessly talking to anyone. His simple-minded aim to recite gurmantar has borne fruit. His mind is not troubled by doubt as to whether one should or should not do simran or what benefit will I gain from simran? He was just told he should say Waheguru; this is what is best for you and he accepted it without any doubt. Those words he accepted without reservation, burying them deeply in his mind and all you see now are the fruits of that labour. What has Guru Ji has ordered: Whether standing sitting or sleeping Meditate thou on the Lord Walking on the way, Sing thou the praise of the Lord master oo tha t bai tha t sova t maarag chala Dhi-aa-ee-ai. t haray har gaa-ee-ai. ||1||To repeat the name says Nanak, Is ever whilst standing, sitting and sleeping The vocation of Gods slave oo tha t bai tha t sova t naam. kaho naanak jan kai sa d kaam. ||6|| (Gauri Sukhmani 5th Guru, page 286) Some people doubt whether a man can recite simran even when he is deep in sleep. You can see for yourself that his body is asleep but his tongue is reciting simran. What better example does one need than to witness this deed with your own eyes. If he carries on as he is now and his mind does not wander or waver, then you can be sure he will win the game of life. The bounty of simran of Gods name has cured his ailments. His ears can hear much better and he can speak much more clearly. Time went by and Sadhu Singh remained absorbed in the dual tasks of seva and simran. Naam aroused further spiritual talents and he started to hear Anhad shabad (literally the celestial music of the universe). Sometimes he would wake up from his sleep and would come to ask Baba Ji why he was hearing musical instruments nearby? Baba Ji would just laugh and tell Sadhu Singh Let the musical instruments keep playing, you just carry on saying Waheguru Waheguru. Sometimes he would climb the gurdwara roof to see where this celestial music was coming from. He would look all around the compound and then come back to his bed. When he would get up and roam at night we would ask him what is the matter with you? He would then reply, Cant you hear them? I can hear loud musical instruments and the sound of Waheguru from somewhere. We would reply that we could not hear anything then Sadhu Singh would reply, Why, sure you can, they are loud enough to keep me awake at night, wherever I go, I constantly hear someone saying Waheguru with me. Bhagat Kabir Jis Salok reminds us that I have understood the riddle I Am face to face with a whole host of troubles hamhu jo boo jhaa boo jhnaa pooree paree balaa-ay. ||181|| (Salok Bhagat Kabir, page 1374) We could not help but wonder at the grace of Almighty on Sadhu Singh. We wondered if he realised how easily he had gained this spiritual height that many spent their lifetimes to achieve: In the absence of a customerIt was going in exchange for a shell banjanhaaray baahraa ka-udee ba dlai jaa-ay. ||154|| (Salok Bhagat Kabir Ji, page 1372) In due course, he was blessed with the power to manifest anything with his words. If someone offered Sadhu Singh something to eat or wear even casually, Sadhu Singh would become pleased and whatever boon he would utter from his lips would appear. He had gained such great spiritual heights. Now we come to the second stage in his life. Time lapsed and Sadhu Singhs brother saw he was cured and started to come and visit him. With Baba Jis permission, he would take Sadhu Singh to Ludhiana for five or six days and at his brothers house, he would just sit idle around the home. To keep him occupied, the family would switch on the television for him and let him watch it all day. When they would bring him back after a week he would talk about what he had watched on TV for a whole month. Even though he could not hear the TV properly, he would tell everyone that he had watched trolley at his brothers house. Sadhu Singh could not say television and called it a trolley. Instead, he would tell everyone that in the trolley he saw running water, people farming inside, some were dancing, and some would fight inside it. It even rains inside the trolley; even a Gurdwara comes on it occasionally. In short, watching one week of TV would influence him for a complete month afterwards. Baba Ji would tell him repeatedly not to watch TV and that it is bad. Sadhu Singh would ask why it was bad. Baba Ji would say, Sikhs do not watch TV, Guru Ji gets annoyed if you do. He would say, OK then, but would talk of the TV during the day. Baba Ji would warn us He has only watched TV not listened and see how his concentration has been ruined. If he could hear as well then think what effect it would have had on him? In time Baba Ji merged into the Almighty and left for his heavenly abode. Sadhu Singh carried on with his selfless service as before. His night time habit of simran during his sleep continued. Not just myself but nearly all the people at the Gurdwara had witnessed this strange but miraculous incident pertaining to Sadhu Singhs night time simran.

Thank you for the encouraging posts. I've recently taught my son how to do "matha tekh" to BabaJi's picture and try to say Waheguru. He sleeps to Waheguru Simran and just recently for the first time, sat for more than an hour in a Gurdwara without any fuss! This is amazing and very promising progress. We will continue to pray for him and his atma.

Forever seeking.

Sukhmani sahib would be very beneficia too if you can recite with him listening.