Gurdwara Marrying Sikhs To Muslims

your suggestion that I am trying to break link is unfounded. I do not know where you get this from.

1699 = Brother I thought that you did not wish for the couple in question to get married in your local Gurdwara.

The couple in question have no intention of ever adapting Sikhism.

1699 = Many people who had no appreciation for Sikhi can change their whole lives once the Truth of Sikhi can penetrate their shells.

It is the parents who feel it Anand Karaj should be conducted in a gurdwara. I have never ever seen the couiple in a gurdwara full stop. In fact I would never even dream of trying to get them to see ways. The guy smokes and drinks like a fish.....the girl in question also smokes and I have seen her in our town with a bottle of what looked like cider in her hand struggling in her heels. She has no intention whatsoever of becoming a Sikh....what on EARTH gives you this idea?

1699 = Never underestimate the power of Sikhi brother. If two people are living lives not in accordance with Gurmat, our response shouldn't be to say that they cannot be changed. Our response should be, how can WE (as ordinary Sangat) assist them best in changing their lives for the better via the Truth of Gurmat and Sikhi. More engagement and interaction with the couple from Gurdwara Sangat (including explanation of what the Anand Karaj stands for in terms of responsibilities to live a good honest life) can only help the process. Let's say for argument's sake there's only even a 50% chance of them changing, I humbly suggest that the 50% chance as a consequence of Gurbani and Gurdwara Sangat is a higher percentage to induce personal changes in the couple's life than any other philosophy or Sangat out there. Case closed.

I feel you are obviously completely disengaged to the real world and are instead trying very very sadly to justify the situation.

1699 = With respect brother, I feel it those who do not realise that so-called mixed marriages are doubling and trebling in the coming years who are disengaged. Because excluding those marriages from greater interaction and inclusion with the Sangat can only spell demographic disaster for our Panth going forward as such marriages increase year by year.

There is not justification for our gurdwaras allowing this.

1699 = I respect your opinion brother but look at it logically. 1st generation we stop 20% from marrying at a Gurdwara due to the reasoning you give in this thread (leaving 80% the freedom to marry in a Gurdwara) and ensure that the children and futures of 20% of such excluded marriages have no link to Sikhi . 2nd generation we stop 40% of the original 80% you would have permitted to marry in a Gurdwara. And so on and so on. Pretty soon after a few generations the Sikh population in the Diaspora (and indeed outside of Majha and Malwa in Punjab) would be vastly diminished.

SinghSabha....what exactly is your point here?

I think we will have to agree to disagree....

All the best Singhsabha

At least those people are Amritdhari. If you are a mona, but you believe in Sikhi, why should you not take Amrit?? If you can't even listen to your Guru, will they really help you?

Ok now listen this is getting off the topic again. Please refrain from doing this and keep all comments on the subject of gurdwaras allowing interfaith weddings. The original post by me was questioning a gurdwara who are giving their blessing to a Sikh boy and a muslim girl

After many months of reading articles on this forum i had to join and put some views across. First...... I'm not a scholar and i don't preach what is good and what is bad. I don't judge sikh girls and have very strong views on how sikhs should respect each other. Sikh marrying a muslim in a Gudwara is not a problem, as long as its through their own free will and choice. I applaud the muslim girl who had the spirit and fight of an APNI. WELCOME to enlightenment and a life of true bhangra! My hypocritical side would challenge this if it was an APNI girl. ( sorry,not that modern)

Over the next few months i will join in these discussions and try and bring in some plain talking honesty to the forum. I don't judge,criticise,or put down apni girls just because they have married x or done y, i look for the real reason, the deeper reason. As for those who are into their religion, "the boxed walls which were built to hold the ultimate believers................ who gave their lives without compramise.........., cracks are appearing in the WALL.............!

At least those people are Amritdhari. If you are a mona, but you believe in Sikhi, why should you not take Amrit?? If you can't even listen to your Guru, will they really help you?

AT LEAST? so as long as they have taken the Amrit YET do NOT follow the Maryada, it's fine? in that case lets all get people to be Amritshak and insult the roop of the Guru!

Yes, take the Amrit but act like a Gursikh. Khalsa saroop char lehna, paar Khalsa de kam ni karne. Some people argue you just need a clean heart - dil saaf hona chaida, I argue that nobody can have a cleaner heart than Dhan Guru Gobind Singh Ji Nirankaar, yet he got down on one knee and took the Khande Bhate Da Amrit. This shuts them up instantly as there is no disputing the former.

It's better than being nastik like most people these days. They could be a lot worse, you need to see the good in people rather than bad. I know many people who take Amrit and don't follow maryada, and I think that is a mistake to not listen. It's more of an insult in my eyes for someone to call a Guru as their Guru but they don't listen to them at all. I'm sure that people who take Amrit and then don't follow the maryada will be reborn as another chance.. rather than being fully nastik people who we know will have no chance at all.

That only Waheguru knows, but your opinion is noted.

• Ram Ram Karta Sab Jag Phire Ram Na Piaya Javeh..... I'm sure you fathom this Shabad :)

I think we need to see the extent of inter-religious marriages in gurdwaras.

What we need to do is for example is go back a couple of years and document each and every anand karaj and establish whether they are Sikh-Sikh marriages, Sikh-Non Sikh marriages or even Non Sikh- Non Sikh marriages.

I am not too sure whether Gurdwaras disclose this kind of information, but I wonder if registry offices do since most gurdwaras have registry capacity. It would be useful to know if this information is available under Freedom of Information Act or if it is under Data Protection.

Another method that could be done is to ask the regular bibian at the gurdwara, they seem to know every akhand path, sukhmani sahib path, anand karaj, saskaar that is happening.

Just my two paisa.