Gurdwara Marrying Sikhs To Muslims

If I married a Sikh woman would I have to become a Sikh or could I still maintain my Christian heritage?

I would never ask my wife to convert, I would be happy with her choice of religion as a Sikh, but the question is would she and the wider Sikh community that she belongs to be happy with my Christian beliefs?

Eduardo My brother guru nanak said to recognise mankind as one. So wether you are christian, sikh or muslim a true sikh will never discriminate You. when it comes to marital affairs then sikh should marry a sikh this is what our faith explains. In the western world its very "normal" for interfaith marriages however to ensure the sikh faith stays strong we dont like our women marrying out of the sikh faith unless the non sikh becomes a part of our faith. Our 10th master created sikh men to be lions(singh) and women to be princesses (kaur) we are to practise a saint soldier life and live and practice sikhi. I know western or european christians who have embraced sikhism and love it. Check out the 3ho sikhs. become a singh and feel the power of sikhi everything starts by saying "waheguru" god will show you the rest. If its works or not, if you end up marrying a sikh and convert or dont convert will be down to your karma my brother.

Hope this helps.

If I married a Sikh woman would I have to become a Sikh or could I still maintain my Christian heritage?

I would never ask my wife to convert, I would be happy with her choice of religion as a Sikh, but the question is would she and the wider Sikh community that she belongs to be happy with my Christian beliefs?

Eduardo, the Anand Karaj, the Sikh wedding ceremony, can only happen between a sikh man and a sikh woman. Refer to sikh rehat maryada.

No gurdwara anywhere in the world should be allowing a wedding to take place where either the groom or the bride are not sikh. That wedding would be null and void. So sure you could probably find a gurdwara which would allow you to marry a sikh woman even though your not a sikh yourself, but it defeats the object of an anand karaj.

Heres our views on christianity:

:)

As someone with uncut hair since birth I sincerely hope the above is untrue. Where is the justice in that? A dreg of a Sikh who ruins the lives of others whilst alive will be spared Narak because he or she cynically keeps kesh knowing they will escape punishment? No matter the myriad of deficiencies in their character and the unbearable weight of their sins, they will be exempt from punishment?

Still need good deeds, having uncut hair and doing bani will keep you out of hell not simply uncut hair thats saying like KPS Gill is avoiding hell even though he keeps sikhi saroop lol

Waheguru jee kaa Khalsa

Waheguru jee kee Fateh

Brother, if religion was the most important thing for you in your life, then you would not have even dream't of cutting your hair. Kesh is the root of Sikhism. Do you know how low Satguru Maharaaj proclaims those people (born into Sikh families) are, who cut their hair?

Satguru says that cutting hair is as sinful as INCEST (reference video link posted below). All other Kakaars are of no value if there are no Kesh. So, I would humbly request you at your feet my brother to keep your hair uncut and come into the Khalsa/Sikh fold especially if you love Satguru Sri Guru Nanak Dev jee Maharaaj.

Another fact bro, tenth master (Satguru Sri Guru Gobind Singh jee Maharaaj) has promised his Sikhs that any Sikh who does not cut his hair (entire body) will never enter hell, no matter how many other sins he/she has committed. This is really a big promise for us and we should be lucky that we are born in Sikh families.

Waheguru jee kaa Khalsa

Waheguru jee kee Fateh

I don't appreciate you trying to belittle us Mona. We are still Sikhs. I suggest you take you fanatical views elsewhere. I was hoping to engage in grown up manner of the mature nature.

As for your comment highlighted above if one does not commit sins in the first place then one does not have to worry about this.....

But as suggested I humbly ask for comments and not for people to start a war.

All the best to you paapiman

What is the root problem of such issue? We need to find the real problem which is ddriving our folks for inter-religious marriages/relationships.

root problem?....I blame the parents of these kids. I'm sorry if this upsets people here.

I have see in one family where the whole family ganged up on a girl who wanted to marry a Ramgharia boy. Family said this can never happen Jatts marrying Ramgharia....What you will read next is truth and nothing but truth. 10 years later another girl from family pipes up she wants to marry a gorah. This goes ahead. A year later another girl from family shows up with a Guju boy and says she wants to marry him. It goes ahead. At both of these wedding the Baba of the family - the eldest grandfather - was dancing at both weddings and even had his arms wrapped around the gorah when she married his grandaughter. Same man who turned alot of the family to gang up on the girl who wanted to marry a Ramgharia. When he was pressed on this the answer was "that is how we thought back then". To me that was not an answer because what is different about our roots and culture now?

Someone in the family said at time "it is matter of time before we see one of our kids walk home with a kala or muslim soon". At the time I thought he was wrong.

But yes a family relative soon sent wedding invites out to rest of family their girl marrying a kala. I know alot of the younger folk who did not attend. (And yes he left her with a kid and she's now back with her family who took her back in)

I have also very sadly noticed that alot of these parents are of the kind where they like a good drink or two and can often be seen at wedding completely plastered hence the lack of guidance and not exactly being the role model we should be. I have even seen with my own eyes at what is fast becoming almost normal is fathers pouring their daughters alcohol spirits and then dancing inappropriatley on the dancefloor. Completely shameless

I have seen as others have mentioned it is us younger folk who are standing up to this with older parents accepting this as perfectly ok.

I have even seen parents rowing with siblings of girls/boys who want to have a out of faith marriage. Yes they are standing up to siblings fighting thier corner saying "well at least she is happy".

It is fast becoming a sad state of affairs.

SinghSabha

your suggestion that I am trying to break link is unfounded. I do not know where you get this from.

The couple in question have no intention of ever adapting Sikhism. It is the parents who feel it Anand Karaj should be conducted in a gurdwara. I have never ever seen the couiple in a gurdwara full stop. In fact I would never even dream of trying to get them to see ways. The guy smokes and drinks like a fish.....the girl in question also smokes and I have seen her in our town with a bottle of what looked like cider in her hand struggling in her heels. She has no intention whatsoever of becoming a Sikh....what on EARTH gives you this idea?.

I feel you are obviously completely disengaged to the real world and are instead trying very very sadly to justify the situation.

There is not justification for our gurdwaras allowing this ..

Once again my question is WHY, OH WHY do our gurdwaras allow this?

Lets not sell our souls for a mere few hundred quid

Still need good deeds, having uncut hair and doing bani will keep you out of hell not simply uncut hair thats saying like KPS Gill is avoiding hell even though he keeps sikhi saroop lol

I agree.

The main point is you see SO many so called Amritdhari women, and they gossip [more so than non] they backbite, swear, go to Jaghas, babes, Mandirs and REALLY malign the Guru's Amrit that it infuriates me. These so called people should live up to the Amrit, but do not and sadly people point fingers and say look that's how they behave. Men drink etc.

Times have changed, people marry people of other colours, faiths, same genders. Where do you draw the line? we're all human after all.