God In General

Guest A

Hello everyone,

I came across this site today and found it helpful by reading questions, but I couldn't help but ask (I am a sikh)

If you are a sikh but don't wear turban/ 5k's does that mean your not a sikh?

And, for the past few days I have been having trouble praying, since I rarely have time as studies, work and life get in the way is it alright just to have a conversation with God? What happens if God doesn't respond? Anyways, sorry for a lot of questions but I am a lost 16 yr old just trying to understand my faith in more detail. I have always been a Sikh but only started understanding the religion a bit now.

Thank you.

you need to go and read more stuff and learn.

We shouldn't go around blaming lifestyle that we aint got time for god and prayers cuz we busy doing work, study and all that >>>along with watching junk tv and wastin time on iphones and internets>>>CUZ>>>> If we CANT have time for GURU>>then what if GURU doesn't have time for us ????

Hello everyone,

I came across this site today and found it helpful by reading questions, but I couldn't help but ask (I am a sikh)

And, for the past few days I have been having trouble praying, since I rarely have time as studies, work and life get in the way is it alright just to have a conversation with God? What happens if God doesn't respond? Anyways, sorry for a lot of questions but I am a lost 16 yr old just trying to understand my faith in more detail. I have always been a Sikh but only started understanding the religion a bit now.

Thank you.

H

Hey! Its good you are reaching out!

I suggest you listen to as much as Katha as you can on the go with headphones!

Here is some stuff you can check Out!

Has everything from Basics to More in depth Things

CHeck these out aswell!!

https://soundcloud.com/thesyf

https://soundcloud.com/gurshabadveechar

https://soundcloud.com/sikh2inspire

These Links have tons of knowledge you can look through!..

If anymore questions please ask.

Hello everyone,

Thank you.

Hey :) its nice to see your taking a deeper interest in Sikhi.

According to the modern day Sikh Rehat Maryada (code of conduct) -

"Any human being who faithfully believes in: (i) One Immortal Being, (ii) Ten Gurus, from Guru Nanak to Guru Gobind Singh, (iii) The Guru Granth Sahib, (iv) The utterances and teachings of the ten Gurus and, (v) the baptism bequeathed by the tenth Guru, and who does not owe allegiance to any other religion is a Sikh."

The above are the very basic beliefs of a sikh. But a sikh should also follow the teachings of his Guru right? Its all good and dandy being like 'yeh bro i believe in the 10 gurus' but then we dont apply the teachings of sikhi to ourselves right? Like i cant just call my self a soldier coz my dads in the army. I have to train hard and achieve that honour if i want it. In the same sense, if we wanna call ourselves a Sikh, we must train hard and achieve that right. IF we want it.

God, aka Waheguru, is always listening dude. Always make time for prayers. Even if its on your way to school, stick ur earphones in n blast that kirtan! Lol

Pul chuk muaf karni.

Since the Satyug(age of Truth) and the beginning of time, A Sikh (student of Truth) is one who is pure, who lives laws of Nirboh and Nirvair (seeing and recognising God in everyone and everything).

The Truth/God is Nothing- he has no image, no form, no colour- all images u see around u are an illusion. We are also Truth- and so we really have no form or image- we are always just Nothing.

Read and practice Gurbani and recognise it as Truth- practice it in your everyday life.

Never lie, that's the first rule- not even a white lie. Be True to yourself and others.

Never Slander others, don't listen to slander either. If u hear it, let it be known that u disagree with it. Be fearless. Do good deeds, silence the mind/ 5 theives (Google them if u don't know what they are)..

Do amrit vela naam simran for 2.5 hrs at least from 1am onwards and stay grounded in what you've learned in your meditation during the day. Relax and listen to the Anhad naad (ringing sound) in your meditation/samadhi).

U learn Truth in your amrit vela samadhi and then live it and do bandgi and learn more Truth in your daily life- that's Truthful Living.

God Bless you

Keep on talking to God like you are doing, God is listening and even if God doesn't respond it doesn't matter. But the more closer you connect yourself with naam and bani the more God will listen and will eventually respond. God doesn't respond because we lack true love, compassion, innocence, selflessness and humility. And you will obtain these virtues from naam and bani as Gurbani states numerous times. Naam and bani are there to perfect us. And naam comes from taking Amrit. But preparation for amrit is very important. You are doing fine as you are right now, but keep on learning more and regardless of learning and coming more into Sikhi never stop talking to God and never let intolerance, ego and cruelty come into your being. Finally, even though naam and bani perfect us and turn us into angelic beings with an abundance of virtues, remember to always practice these virtues yourself in your mind, speech and action, virtues like the ones mentioned above. There are a lot of Sikhs who do not practice those virtues but still think of themselves as perfect sikhs. In Japji Sahib, it tells us that Compassion is the Father of Religion. So, if a Sikh lacks compassion how can they call themselves a Sikh?

Dear brother,

you are AS MUCH SIKH, as ANY OTHER PERSON ON THE WHOLE PLANET.

Keep going that part , google for answers , ask questions in forums, but dont just limit your questions to this forum, check out other forums, because I dont think this is the right place to have intellectual and deep insight into SIkhi.

Just keep researching! Never give up. Find out about Sikhi more.. Dont just read from one source.. Try to go deeper into the thing. And always remember , god is always with you. You dont have to do 10000x paths to get liberated or things like that, you just need to have interest, even when its frustrating sometimes just never GIVE UP. And you YOURSELF have to think critically dont just take everything PEOPLE say to you or any babeh or so called "saints" . You have a brain yourself and you can use it, If you have that curosity you will find your answers and you will find them all WITHIN SIkhi. Because Sikhi has THEM ALL.