Harnaam Kaur Has Gone Mad

Guest Just wt is going on

I've talked to her before, she's very sweet. Let her live her life however she wants, she will get whatever karma she will get, and you will get whatever karma you get, insaaf always happens after mrityu, so why worry about someone else?? She isn't harming anyone.

See here's what I don't understand about comments supporting Harnaam Kaur. She's a human being and has a right to live her own life the way she pleases. Nobody is disputing that especially given the harsh conditions that fate has dealt her. I can see its been incredibly difficult for her to find her place in society and its easy to see how she went through the phase of wearing dastaar, kirpan etc because that phase not only gave her life some meaning but also gave her celebrity and acceptance as media outlets flocked to her. So, I would never actually criticise her, as she was obviously trying desperately to find a place in the normal life we all take for granted.

My gripe is more with all the Sikhs, especially Kaurs and Sikh organisations that portrayed her as a role model for all Sikh girls. I remember there were Gurdwaras up and down the country inviting her to give 'inspiration' talks. It is these Sikhs, Kaurs and Gurdwaras that need to have a quiet word with themselves. Her multitude of Tatoos are nothing new. She had them and was getting more while our Sikh institutions and Kaurs were portraying her as an inspiring hero. Her multitude of body piercings are nothing new. She had them and was getting more while our Sikh institutions and Kaurs were portraying her as an inspiring hero. Her fondness of beers is nothing new. She was a drinker while our Sikh institutions and Kaurs were portraying her as an inspiring hero. Her talk of the love of sex is certainly nothing new as the very thing that got the Kaurs and Gurdwaras so inspired and excited by her was that very first interview she did in the newspaper where she lay on her bed saying how "sexy she feels".

Our Kaurs and Sikh institutions were so blinded and mesmerized by the dastaar and kirpan that they were not able to read the text of the interview.

This whole Harnaam Kaur episode is not a lesson for her The subjects of this fiasco are us...the Sikh sangat. The lesson is for us. I'm not going to spell it out. You should all be able to learn it yourself.

I don't know Harnaam but I feel that she wanted acceptance from us as Sikh Sangat but it didn't happen. Is there a Singh out there willing to marry her and walk with her on the path of Sikhism? I highly doubt it. Looking for acceptance, a place, has lead to this behaviour. As a punjabi community we always make judgements based on appearance. Even if we try not to, claim that we don't, we still do. I've heard aunties everywhere making comments from "she's too short, she's fat, she's thin, she's too dark, she's too tall, she's wearing this she's not wearing that". Where does someone like Harnaam fit in? I believe what she's done is she's jumped onto the whole bearded lady band wagon, she's trying to make it something that is a trend/hype/brand in order to find acceptance because of it. If she's claiming to no longer be a Sikh then what is stopping her from getting rid of it? Because she's come storming into the limelight, she can't trace her steps back home. She's felt the need to declare to the world who she is, maybe for herself too. Now the eyes of the world are upon her, it's almost given her the freedom to shun Sikhi and make out that she doesn't care about her appearance whereas in reality I feel she does have some sort of animosity towards her condition. Having said that though, she's braver than me. I'd most likely be hiding in a cave in the Himalayas.

If a male had done something similar would we be taking much notice? One important thing that has been mentioned and that is having a positive role model ( Male and Female) for all our community. I see young sikhs everyday with their Dastaar and No 1 trimmed beards, and when they preach Sikhi, i turn off. Its just hypocritical. Its these sort of images and hypocracy that is pushing our youth away. Its as if they expect immediate respect because they have a dastaar. It just dilutes the values of the true men and women who wear their dastaar with pride and dignity and follow their religion with such passion.

True sangat is Guru Sahib. If Naam/Vaheguru is the love and center of your life, no bad sangat can pull you down. If everyone is capable of falling, the value of sangat cannot be that great to always keep someone eternally elevated. Guru Sahib is eternally with us, so we should put our hope and support in him. You can help an individual to strengthen their amritvela and sikhi but what happens when they stop doing sangat, they cannot do amritvela anymore and ultimately lose their sikhi? Amritvela should be solid, not a day should be missed even if we have no sangat. And Vaheguru should always be in our thoughts even while in maya- if we love him how can our thoughts lead us to go on a different path away from Vaheguru. In the end, it's just us, Guru Sahib and Vaheguru because we are all really alone and sangat cannot be there for us forever.

You are speaking an ideal case which is not applicable to everyone. In case sangat is not available then I see your point. But if sangat is available then as instructed by Guru Sahib, one should go to sangat. Many Gursikhs have struggled without sangat and many naam abhiyasi Sikhs have found sangat to be the most beneficial for their progress and to keep them from making mistakes. Guru Sahib has spoken highly of sangat which they themselves established. So it cannot be ignored or downplayed. While Guru Sahib is eternal and with us, it is the sangat that strengthens our beliefs and faith in Guru Sahib. Sangat encourages us to practice Sikhi more and more. I never said sangat is the only solution. It is part of Sikhi and cannot be ignored. Taking your stance, how do you explain numerous people who have fallen from Sikhi? How do you explain some Sikhs who reached high avastha and then went astray? Sikhi is not an individualistic path. The whole concept of Panth goes against the very idea of doing everything all alone. A Sikh keeps Amrit Vela, does nitnem and also goes to sangat where he learns about higher avasthas and resolves his spiritual obstacles. Guru Sahib also works his kirpa through sangat.

My whole point was that if someone goes away from Sikhi, sangat should try to bring them back. Maya, haumain, mind, and five vices are very powerful. Ask any naam abhiyasi Gursikh. You may have reached the ideal avastha you speak of but not everyone has and hence, they need sangat and blessings of Guru Sahib to get there.

In seen surat(consciousness which is facing towards sargun-seen), outside sangat is needed, but to surat(which is facing or drawn inwards or introvert) sangat is form of intuitve divine guidance consciouness within. When one surat is facing inwards and introvert, one is never lonely but alone. There is big difference between alone and lonely. Alone-ONE is whole premises of gurmat sidhant as its one and only one-Ikongkar only.