Why Depicting Sikh Gurus In Movies Is Wrong?

Source: http://singhstation.net/2015/03/why-depicting-sikh-gurus-in-movies-is-wrong/

Amid global controversy over depictions of Sikh Guru Sahibs in movies, an upcoming biopic of Guru Nanak Dev ji’s life is causing further controversy in the Sikh world.

Nanak Shah Fakir, is an upcoming Punjabi movie depicting the life of Guru Nanak Sahib where though Guru Nanak Dev ji has been shown with use of graphics, Roles of Bebe Nanaki and Mata Sulakhni ji has been enacted by human characters.

Sikhism rejects any form of idol worship including worship of pictures of the Gurus. but this is so strange that despite this we hang pictures of Sikh Gurus itself in our homes and Gurdwaras on the name of education, Sikhi and inspiration.

Depicting the Sikh Gurus in pictures and movies is definitely problematic. It’s a double edged sword because pictures and movies illustrating Sikh history and Saakhis can excite and rouse the spirit of Sikhi within those people who perhaps otherwise would never pick up a book on the Sikh faith.

Contrary to the Guru’s teachings, It would be Manmat to portray Guru in such movies. This is a big threat to the rich Sikh history will give rise to been-lines of movies on depiction of Guru Sahibs and their family members.

Even when Sobha Singh painted that picture, he did mention that this is not Guru Nanak Dev ji’s picture but instead picture of his dreams. Sadly this is also the general direction many people have taken with Sobha Singh’s work because he focused almost exclusively on the faces of the Gurus.

If one reads the book ‘Bandginama‘ written by Bhai Raghbir Singh ji Bir, in which he shared his own personal story, when he started practicing Naam Simran by putting photographs of Guru Sahibaan in front of him but then later he found that when this state develops further, it becomes hard to contemplate God in His real transcendence. In fact the realization of His transcendence and our union with Him are the crown and climax, the apex and zenith of spiritual growth.

Talking about upcoming movies where Sikh Gurus are depicted either with picture or animated characters, it looks we are opening the door to people to draw our Guru in different forms that could affect His status in the hearts of his people. Guru Nanak Dev sahib has been shown on screen ‘LIVE’ – walking and talking. There are dialogues by Guru Nanak character, which have been delivered by actor who played Shivji role in Hindi serial on Life OK channel ‘Devo ke Dev Mahadev’. According to DailySikhUpdates, an insider has revealed that the role of Guru Nanak has actually been played by a real human and then some effects were added to give it an animation look.

Waheguru is the connection of Shabad, ‘Surat’ and ‘Dhun’ only.

Talking about the character of Bebe Nanaki, sister of Dhan Guru Nanak Dev ji and first Sikh woman who adopted the path of Akal Purakh has been portrayed in the movie by Puneet Sikka.

The character of Bhai Mardana ji, who was a life-long companion of Guru Nanak Dev ji and a great Gursikh, has been played by Bollywood actor Arif Zakaria.

While no one knows Guru Sahib’s true appearance, the film-makers these days seek to emulate him as closely as possible – including in what they believe to be his physical features and dress with long beard contending that was Guru Sahib’s manner.

It should be noted that Muslim community is still holding centuries old tradition of not depicting Prophet Mohammad in any pictorial form. There is no such thought in the minds of the Sikhs and we are getting so lenient with these depictions?

If we don’t stand by it today, the day will not be far when there will be serials started such as the ones on Hindu Gods. If we really believe that Sikhs believe in Gur-Shabad, then its high time to stand together against such movie trends.

Guru Rakha…

I am not staunchly rigidly against depiction of Guru Maharaj in charitar kari (Art form) whether be it in form of movie, art, picture etc if we must then as long as Guru maharaj - knights-bhramgyani sant mahapursh khalsa is director because only bhramgyani who is totally aware and realized all three forms of Satguru can truly depict/represent Guru maharaj in all three forms equally especially Satguru nanak Nirgun parbhram parmeshvar nirankar nirgun form which remains always as undescribed, unfathomable, anubhav parkash(spontaneous effortless infinite bhramgyan knowledge) as mentioned in Jaap sahib. Off course any bhramgyani cannot claim in the movie that this is it 100% it will be and only meant to be as "humble attempt''.

Off course overall current standards does not do full justice, its not only this directors fault only its whole sub artistic culture who have good intentions but inadvertently devoid of true gurmat knowledge. I would take good things from movie but put rest as pinch of salt put it under same category as thousands of pictures of Satguru sahib in all eleven forms floating around which inadvertently depraving Satguru its own all three forms in its totality and at the same time hopefully panj pyares can start awareness campaign to do parchar of Satguru forms (Sargun,Nirgun Nirankar) to all including misguided picture artist, painters, directors.

This is very good and deep video on this subject:

It's a pretty controversial topic and to some extent a personal one as well, pretty much all of us probably grew up with paintings of Guru Nanak Dev Ji or Guru Gobind Singh Ji by Sobha Singh on our walls, every time we take about the Guru's we associate those images with them. I personally don't have an issue with it, I'm grown up enough and I've educated my young children enough so that we know that that's just someone's interpretation of what they feel the Guru's looked like, I think we need to focus on the message not the format of delivery, the Chaar Sahibzaade movie, while not the best animated film around did enough to spark a new generations interest in their religion and made them ask questions.

Wow !!! Scary ignorance being demonstrated here. :omg:

Talk to any Sikh child or even any white or black child that has ever studied the very basics of Sikhism in school, and he or she will tell you that any visual moving depiction of the Gurus is absolutely forbidden in Sikhism. This is crystal clear and beyond debate.

I am absolutely flabergasted that there are grown 'Sikhs' on this 'Sikh' forum actually OK with it. :omg:

Here is a discussion on this subject on bbc radio on nihals show, typical dumb bimbo liberal make up ur own rules lefty sikhs ringin up chat bull, n sayin its perfectly fine to depict our gurus in human form, by some actor. Lost for words at times wen u listen to these morons. From my understanding tho, guru ji's shadow is shown in this film, not actual full body n face. However typically also, u then have some moronic hindus (i dont hate hindus btw), ringin up, tellin us sikhs wat to do and how to think, n how r religion is a part of the cultural "religion". Worse thing is, u then get freshys, whos brainwashin by indian skool system comes 2 fruition, come on radio sayin things like along the lines of "our BOOK is collection of writings from other faiths", pure behsti!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05h2l4h