Nanak Shah Fakir Needs To Be Banned

hsingh8963

For me it is but there seem's to be an unhealthy strain of Sikhism forming which, in my book, is becoming more and more intolerant of anyone that has a different opinion and if we carry on down this path, as you mentioned, there will be comparisons with the way certain Muslims behave and sooner or later we'll be on the front page of the Daily Mail.

I think every religion or community has their hard core elements.

My own has white supremacist old testament thumping Christians but thankfully they are few and far between.

It would be a shame to allow these voices to drown out the moderates who are the majority.

I am really looking forward to a BBC discussion about this film where the audience are made up of what I would call real Sikhs.

Tolerent, helpful, gentle natured, non sexist and great providers to the community.

Like I say this film could be a great opportunity for all your community to really shine under the spot light if you play it just right.

That's not what I'm talking about, the extremism is the threat of violence over a movie.

In a civilised modern and progressive society these sort of threats should be a part of history.

Anyway I just wanted to tell you how it would be perceived through the eyes of my own community.

I mean you can do what you like, it doesn't really affect me at all but it might affect the reputation Sikhs have across the UK.

Enough said by me.

There is nothing extremist about calling for a ban for a movie that 1) may have been a human acting...

2) the producer makes crazy claims about Guru Nanak Dev Ji.3) simply not wanting people to fill their pockets in the name of religion.

I feel very uncomfortable at the notion of someone acting the role of one of our Gurus. Honestly, I never thought I'd see the day. What I have an issue with is us playing into the hands of these two-faced individuals who set out to offend and create controversy in order to sell a film YET play the victim when people object. We must be much smarter when combatting situations such as these. Perception is everything; I wish it wasn't, in this image driven, superficial world, but it is what it is.

Anyone with genuine creativity and artistry would devise a method of creating a feature film or an animation in a way that presents Guru Sahib's message without generating the kind of headlines this film has.

I agree with someone earlier who criticised Chaar Sahibzaade film; the message contained in the film was great, but the execution was shocking. Are we to believe Sikh millionaire film producers are only capable of producing something with CG that was out of date in a 1992 kids TV show? Aren't we as a community meant to be financially prosperous? Why not invest that money in something valuable like the future of the panth? And why did it have to be CG if the funds were clearly lacking? Why not hand-drawn in the old Indian style with a suitable score and direction? Or if it was CG do it in a way that didn't expose the lack of funds?

Something like this would've killed it:

http://37.media.tumblr.com/17c979d898445025d16ae3222bae1b3c/tumblr_n6cu0yTzPh1rlv62so1_500.gif

Never mind, lol, those big wigs know best.

There is nothing extremist about calling for a ban for a movie that 1) may have been a human acting...

2) the producer makes crazy claims about Guru Nanak Dev Ji.

3) simply not wanting people to fill their pockets in the name of religion.

It's not about calling anyone an extremist, just this morning i saw a new piece on one of the channels that show Punjabi news about a protest against the film done peacefully by having a motorcycle rally but then when they interviewed them they were calling for the death of the producer of the film, so what started out as a peaceful protest turned into what could easily be classed as extremism.

As far a lining pockets, i think we should start with our own backyards first, go into you local Gurdwara and ask for a proper account of the financial incomings and outgoings, them committee members ain't driving brand new Merc's for no reason you know, maybe we should tackle that first, at least the producer of this film has openly said that he or any member of the production crew won't take a penny from this film, they'll donate all profits.

I'm not saying it's right to make a film depicting our Guru's, what i am saying is, if you disagree with it, generally the pen is mightier than the sword.

I feel very uncomfortable at the notion of someone acting the role of one of our Gurus. Honestly, I never thought I'd see the day. What I have an issue with is us playing into the hands of these two-faced individuals who set out to offend and create controversy in order to sell a film YET play the victim when people object. We must be much smarter when combatting situations such as these. Perception is everything; I wish it wasn't, in this image driven, superficial world, but it is what it is.

Anyone with genuine creativity and artistry would devise a method of creating a feature film or an animation in a way that presents Guru Sahib's message without generating the kind of headlines this film has.

I agree with someone earlier who criticised Chaar Sahibzaade film; the message contained in the film was great, but the execution was shocking. Are we to believe Sikh millionaire film producers are only capable of producing something with CG that was out of date in a 1992 kids TV show? Aren't we as a community meant to be financially prosperous? Why not invest that money in something valuable like the future of the panth? And why did it have to be CG if the funds were clearly lacking? Why not hand-drawn in the old Indian style with a suitable score and direction? Or if it was CG do it in a way that didn't expose the lack of funds?

Something like this would've killed it:

http://37.media.tumblr.com/17c979d898445025d16ae3222bae1b3c/tumblr_n6cu0yTzPh1rlv62so1_500.gif

Never mind, lol, those big wigs know best.

Don't get me started on the visual quality and the quality of the animation of that film, like i've said earlier, the message was correct.

The amount of money the SGPC has they could bankroll Disney for life yet they can't invest in educating the future generation's using up to date methods.

Don't get me started on the visual quality and the quality of the animation of that film, like i've said earlier, the message was correct.

The amount of money the SGPC has they could bankroll Disney for life yet they can't invest in educating the future generation's using up to date methods.

That's the sad feature of projects like these, because it shows how far behind we are in terms of disseminating the message of our faith in the modern age. It doesn't have to be done in an obvious, preachy way (to be honest, that turns off many people, me included), but it can still be done in a respectful and stylish way. It just takes some thought and planning.

A few years ago an American born Hindu guy wrote and illustrated a graphic novel (a comic book) about the life of Krishna. It was a critical success and it ended up on many 'Best of the Year' lists at the time. I read it and it was stunningly beautiful in all respects. The art style was akin to dream-like, fresco-type illustrations we've seen in Indian history with the large, almondy eyes and thin, wiry limbs. What I'm saying is the art style matched the content and subject of the novel, as well as the cultural background of the personalities being presented i.e. the characters in the graphic novel weren't muscle-bound, ripped individuals from the pages of a Batman comic, lol, but relevant to the message contained within the pages. Most importantly, the prose and dialogue wasn't dry or one-dimensional (like the dialogue I saw in clips of Chaar Sahibzaade), e.g. "Three thousand years ago a boy was born in Nandgaon. He was born to rid the world of his tyrannical uncle Kans," lol, but it was lyrical, deeply philosophical, and clear to understand.

I was fortunate enough to visit Hazoor Sahib last year and it was a wonderful experience. Whilst there I was browsing the stalls, and there was a DVD / Video CD about Hazoor Sahib being heavily praised by the vendors (as they would I guess). They kept saying it was brilliant, and I thought I may as well check it out. On my return to the UK I put it in my DVD player and I could only chuckle at what I watched. It was a poorly shot, cringeworthy selection of songs sung by Miss Pooja and some other Punjabi singer, but instead of the aforementioned two singers appearing on-screen, a Gursikh bibi and a Gursikh man were miming to the music, lol! There were crowds of people behind them doing the classic "folding hands, closing their eyes, and rocking their head from side to side." I just couldn't believe it. In the year 2015 when Indians pride themselves on being no less sophisticated and worthy than anyone else in the world, we're still getting "productions" such as these that wouldn't look out-of-date in 1991. I mean, there's teenagers in their bedrooms on YouTube creating vlogs that have better quality video and audio than what I saw on that DVD; kids! How can institutions that generate incredibly huge sums of money each year fail to invest in modern production and broadcasting? They can't use the old reasons of, "Well, we don't know what's going on in the world" or "We haven't got the technology" because every man and his dog in India has a smartphone and knowledge about the latest tech, and if these babeh just for one moment chose not to waste sangat's churaava on the latest 4x4 to speed around in, and instead ploughed that money into the latest video equipment for developing mini-documentaries on Sikh history and notable Sikh personalities, it would be absolutely amazing!

It boils down to one thing: there's no desire or true love for the subject matter. These notable personalities all talk about this and that, but when it comes to making a change, nobody wants to know. So, you get people like this producer who made this Nanak Shah film or whatever it's called, stepping into the breach and making something that isn't exactly ideal on any level. Coupled with the general ethos of Punjabi culture shunning creative pursuits, because it's not a guaranteed earner such as the medical, legal, and business professions, then what exactly should we expect?

That's the sad feature of projects like these, because it shows how far behind we are in terms of disseminating the message of our faith in the modern age. It doesn't have to be done in an obvious, preachy way (to be honest, that turns off many people, me included), but it can still be done in a respectful and stylish way. It just takes some thought and planning.

A few years ago an American born Hindu guy wrote and illustrated a graphic novel (a comic book) about the life of Krishna. It was a critical success and it ended up on many 'Best of the Year' lists at the time. I read it and it was stunningly beautiful in all respects. The art style was akin to dream-like, fresco-type illustrations we've seen in Indian history with the large, almondy eyes and thin, wiry limbs. What I'm saying is the art style matched the content and subject of the novel, as well as the cultural background of the personalities being presented i.e. the characters in the graphic novel weren't muscle-bound, ripped individuals from the pages of a Batman comic, lol, but relevant to the message contained within the pages. Most importantly, the prose and dialogue wasn't dry or one-dimensional (like the dialogue I saw in clips of Chaar Sahibzaade), e.g. "Three thousand years ago a boy was born in Nandgaon. He was born to rid the world of his tyrannical uncle Kans," lol, but it was lyrical, deeply philosophical, and clear to understand.

I was fortunate enough to visit Hazoor Sahib last year and it was a wonderful experience. Whilst there I was browsing the stalls, and there was a DVD / Video CD about Hazoor Sahib being heavily praised by the vendors (as they would I guess). They kept saying it was brilliant, and I thought I may as well check it out. On my return to the UK I put it in my DVD player and I could only chuckle at what I watched. It was a poorly shot, cringeworthy selection of songs sung by Miss Pooja and some other Punjabi singer, but instead of the aforementioned two singers appearing on-screen, a Gursikh bibi and a Gursikh man were miming to the music, lol! There were crowds of people behind them doing the classic "folding hands, closing their eyes, and rocking their head from side to side." I just couldn't believe it. In the year 2015 when Indians pride themselves on being no less sophisticated and worthy than anyone else in the world, we're still getting "productions" such as these that wouldn't look out-of-date in 1991. I mean, there's teenagers in their bedrooms on YouTube creating vlogs that have better quality video and audio than what I saw on that DVD; kids! How can institutions that generate incredibly huge sums of money each year fail to invest in modern production and broadcasting? They can't use the old reasons of, "Well, we don't know what's going on in the world" or "We haven't got the technology" because every man and his dog in India has a smartphone and knowledge about the latest tech, and if these babeh just for one moment chose not to waste sangat's churaava on the latest 4x4 to speed around in, and instead ploughed that money into the latest video equipment for developing mini-documentaries on Sikh history and notable Sikh personalities, it would be absolutely amazing!

It boils down to one thing: there's no desire or true love for the subject matter. These notable personalities all talk about this and that, but when it comes to making a change, nobody wants to know. So, you get people like this producer who made this Nanak Shah film or whatever it's called, stepping into the breach and making something that isn't exactly ideal on any level. Coupled with the general ethos of Punjabi culture shunning creative pursuits, because it's not a guaranteed earner such as the medical, legal, and business professions, then what exactly should we expect?

The unfortunate truth is the younger generation are not trusted by the older to lead the way, i saw a video the other day of Harmandir Sahib shot from the air by drone, i tell you what, my heart skipped a beat, it was a thing of beauty, showed it to my dad, he loved it, turned out he knew the guy in India who had produced it and apparently it took him 18 months to get permission to shoot it.

Nanak Shah Fakir has high production values but unfortunately it will be too marred in controversy for people to appreciate it, I've worked in the creative sector all of my life and I have at time's played with the idea of doing Sikh educational work but i don't think i could deal with all the politics that come with it.

There are a few things that have been said by the actors and production team on this film that have made me wonder what they are on...

1. Sikka has claimed many times that he was visited by Guru Nanak Dev ji in Dreams and told how to go about this film ...

A. the first interview he claimed he wrote the dialogue by himself , then he was inspired in a dream , then it became a number of nights of continuous visitations by Guru ji

B. He has admitted he knew very little if anything about the live of Guru ji , even at the ripe old age of Fifty.

2. His daughter while lovely , had plucked eyebrows on screen and then she also claimed by the time filming was over she felt She was Bebe Nanaki ... err no

3. They showed some violence against the people but yet did not show Guru ji Confronting or changing Babur's heart and attitude ...because it may offend certain sections of the community, then from what somebody who saw the movie claimed that the incident with throwing water to the sun and to Punjab was not show either ...for same reasons ...why make a film if you are scared to show Guru ji true colours?

Nanak Shah Fakir has high production values but unfortunately it will be too marred in controversy for people to appreciate it, I've worked in the creative sector all of my life and I have at time's played with the idea of doing Sikh educational work but i don't think i could deal with all the politics that come with it.[\b]

I know what you mean. Who wants a "fatwa" on their head from their own people, lol? Too much hassle, and it wouldn't be appreciated by vast swathes of the intended audience. Sounds like an easy way out, but it's the harsh reality.

There are a few things that have been said by the actors and production team on this film that have made me wonder what they are on...

1. Sikka has claimed many times that he was visited by Guru Nanak Dev ji in Dreams and told how to go about this film ...

A. the first interview he claimed he wrote the dialogue by himself , then he was inspired in a dream , then it became a number of nights of continuous visitations by Guru ji

B. He has admitted he knew very little if anything about the live of Guru ji , even at the ripe old age of Fifty.

2. His daughter while lovely , had plucked eyebrows on screen and then she also claimed by the time filming was over she felt She was Bebe Nanaki ... err no

3. They showed some violence against the people but yet did not show Guru ji Confronting or changing Babur's heart and attitude ...because it may offend certain sections of the community, then from what somebody who saw the movie claimed that the incident with throwing water to the sun and to Punjab was not show either ...for same reasons ...why make a film if you are scared to show Guru ji true colours?

That's very disingenuous on the part of the film-makers. If you can't present the correct message out of fear of being seized upon by Muslims, then don't bother making the film at all. Don't present selective truths or fabrications or half truths.

As for darshan from Guru Ji, I think anyone can have those if there's purpose to the darshan, I.e. to turn around one's life, or to embark upon Sikhi, etc. If he's using it as a way of selling the film then he's having a laugh.