I Watched Nanak Shah Fakir..my Thoughts

One good review by the Countless negative ones.. .

Have we forgotten what the producer said? And the historical inaccuracies.?

Countless negative reviews? lol. What are you talking about? Did you just make that up? it came out 1 day ago. There are a few reviews online, and they are extremely positive. The movie is absolutely amazing. The reviews are calling it "an effective and incredibly pristine film" . Another review says: "The Guru Nanak biopic is one of the most humbling experiences you'll have". Which inaccuracies are you talking about?

Irrespective of the above review and however good the film may be, this film has set a precedent for bollywood and the hindu media to follow. And no doubt somewhere down the line some joe blogs is gunna portray our guru full frontal face shots galore. And then we're gunna have sakhis with little bollywood twists. And then our own uneducated people are gunna believe and retell these stories as fact. etc etc etc.

Thats the problem. Precedent. If this movie gets good publicity and makes good money, however good or nice the message is, there is absolutely noooo doubt that bollywoods gunna be on this like flies on... yup.

I agree with you on this. Thats why I feel that whenever a movie like this is going to be released, it should first get the go ahead from Akal Takht Sahib. I'm not sure if this one did get approval or not (they claim they have), but the movie is groundbreaking. Watching all the Sakhis come to life was an amazing experience. Watching Guru Ji stop the huge boulder coming down the hill by putting his hand out was amazing (I thought this part would look cheesy with special effects, but it looked incredibly realistic). The movie was very moving and powerful, and would leave tears of awe in viewers when they see the greatness of Guru Nanak Dev Ji unfolding in front of their eyes.

And whos verifying the portrayal of the sakhis in this film? Whos the censor? Yes, the indian censor board, government of india.

The govt is not censoring any stories here. Let me to tell you this for sure. If they were, then why would they allow the scene where all the hindus were worshipping idols in a temple, and then they heard Guru Ji reciting Bani outside, and everyone left the temple, and joined Guru Ji in reciting Bani (Sohila Sahib). Why would they allow the story of the janaoo to be included, as its a direct challenge to the Hindu dharm's caste system and rituals? I said this before...I can seriously picture hindus leaving their dharm and following Sikhi after watching this film.

The govt is not censoring any stories here. Let me to tell you this for sure. If they were, then why would they allow the scene where all the hindus were worshipping idols in a temple, and then they heard Guru Ji reciting Bani outside, and everyone left the temple, and joined Guru Ji in reciting Bani (Sohila Sahib). Why would they allow the story of the janaoo to be included, as its a direct challenge to the Hindu dharm's caste system and rituals? I said this before...I can seriously picture hindus leaving their dharm and following Sikhi after watching this film.

Veer, any film produced in india has to go through the indian censor board before being released.

my point was, that yes this film may have an amazing message, (the more you describe it, the more I want to "legally" download it), but the next film producer may not be a sikh and the only censor board for all these films are indian. Akal takht or any jathedar has absolutely no say, never will.

Ok ok dont ruin the film for us lol

You understand the issue. This movie may not be that bad. But it sets a precedent, and a wrong one at that. As soon as Sikhs start feeling comfortable with the back shoulder shots, then slowly they will think: "maybe there is nothing wrong with front face shot". Once they have the face shot, then they will think "well maybe there is nothing wrong with an actor(maybe Salman Khan) playing the role of Guru Maharaj".

It's all about conditioning. Once they feel comfortable with one level, it doesn't take too long before they get comfortable with the next level of Beadbi. It may seem unthinkable now but the more conditioned some of us get to this new trend, Indian film makers might very well will give a bollywood romantic twist in future. Don't be surprised because this is exactly where it is leading. Just look at Hindu religious serials like Devon Ke Dev where they show Shiva getting romantic with Parvati, and Hindus today have been so conditioned to this that they no longer even mind in fact most of them probably even find it 'cute'.

Agree with what your saying here but i do feel this film is being made a scapegoat in some ways, the main issue we have as Sikh's is we have no "Ekta", we can't all sit in the same Gurdwara so how are we meant to come together and agree on what's right and what's wrong, in my eyes the Chaar Sahibzaade animation is in the same boat as this film, we can't have one rule for one and another for something else, we've have pictures that are renditions of our Guru's up in our houses for a long time yet no one bat's an eyelid.

I think it's great that people who have watched it are coming away with a positive message but could that message have been spread in an alternative way, could a film have been made about a fictional character who just want's to learn about the teachings of Guru Nanak Dev JI and relay the same message. The feeling i get at the moment is your doomed whatever you do, I think i'll get around to watching it at some point and then make my mind up about it.

Agree with what your saying here but i do feel this film is being made a scapegoat in some ways, the main issue we have as Sikh's is we have no "Ekta", we can't all sit in the same Gurdwara so how are we meant to come together and agree on what's right and what's wrong, in my eyes the Chaar Sahibzaade animation is in the same boat as this film, we can't have one rule for one and another for something else, we've have pictures that are renditions of our Guru's up in our houses for a long time yet no one bat's an eyelid.

I think it's great that people who have watched it are coming away with a positive message but could that message have been spread in an alternative way, could a film have been made about a fictional character who just want's to learn about the teachings of Guru Nanak Dev JI and relay the same message. The feeling i get at the moment is your doomed whatever you do, I think i'll get around to watching it at some point and then make my mind up about it.

Many accept this trend of showing Guru Maharaj in movies thinking it will make Sikhs more devout and even go to the extent of saying far fetched things like this movie will convert all the Hindus to Sikhi. Let us take two examples in front of us. one Christianity and the other Islam.

Christians make all sorts of movies about Jesus. Allow Jesus cartoons. They even allow comedians like Sarah Silverman making offensive jokes about Jesus. Now let's look at Muslims, they do not allow movies or cartoons to be made on Prophet Mohammad. When one compares the two religious communities, the Muslims are clearly the more devout people to their religion than the Christians who allow everything to be done with Jesus. Most Christians in reality are agnostics while most Muslims on average are more observant of their religion, Islam.

So clearly this argument that displaying Gurus in movies and Drama Serials will make Sikhs more devout and some how even convert millions of Hindus to Sikhi is a baseless one.

Many accept this trend of showing Guru Maharaj in movies thinking it will make Sikhs more devout and even go to the extent of saying far fetched things like this movie will convert all the Hindus to Sikhi. Let us take two examples in front of us. one Christianity and the other Islam.

Christians make all sorts of movies about Jesus. Allow Jesus cartoons. They even allow comedians like Sarah Silverman making offensive jokes about Jesus. Now let's look at Muslims, they do not allow movies or cartoons to be made on Prophet Mohammad. When one compares the two religious communities, the Muslims are clearly the more devout people to their religion than the Christians who allow everything to be done with Jesus. Most Christians in reality are agnostics while most Muslims on average are more observant of their religion, Islam.

So clearly this argument that displaying Gurus in movies and Drama Serials will make Sikhs more devout and some how even convert millions of Hindus to Sikhi is a baseless one.

I don't accept that, to me if you are so fickle as to rely on some form of media to show a depiction of what you believe in to make it more tangible then you've failed before you've even begun but the unfortunate truth is we now live in an age where people spend more time look down (i.e. at mobile phones or tablets) than looking up so religion and the way it's taught has to evolve but i fear the path we are taking is probably the wrong one, the overall onus is on us, we can moan and complain all we want but we need to come out with a suitable solution.

In Islam they have a straight forward rule, no depictions of their prophet, full stop, no if's, no but's, people ignore that and we've all seen the results as horrendous as they are, I would hate to see Sikhi go down that path.

Funny thing is tho, there r pictures of muhammed out there, ive seen them b4, in a programme on tv few yrs ago. Im not sure who drew them specifically, but it was done by shia muslims in Iran. Muhammeds sucessors, including ali, hussein etc all have their paintings done too. Its sunnis who r very anti-muhammed pics. Its a shame majority of muslims r sunnis, coz shia's r so much nicer n not kuffar-obsessed.