I Watched Nanak Shah Fakir..my Thoughts

Akal Warrior paji where did you see the film? I totally agree with you about many Sikhs fighting the wrong battles while letting the younger generation be lost to Sikhi.

When it comes out on dvd I plan to get copies for my nephews/nieces, I wish there was something like this when I was younger.

Sat Sri Akal Ji,

wow. It's amazing that you came up with such an elaborate conclusion without even watching the movie.

Bhai Sahb Ji, I didn't watch it because I don't want to contribute money to a movie which thanks Shiv Sena before anything else. Their hands are red with shaheedi of a singh, which I atleast haven't forgotten.

I ask you this...if this movie is pro Hindu and anti Sikhi, then why are they showing scenes where Guru Ji teachs the Hindus about not worshipping statues? why did the movie show Guru Ji refusing to wear the janaoo? why did the movie show Guru Ji telling people to stop practising rituals? Get your facts straight.

This is a start. First they butter you, then they butcher you. This has been strategy since old times and I feel anyone with a little understanding of "Chanakya neeti" would understand it. By it I mean to say that using conditional psychology they will go on and on and within a few years we would have a movie in which some actor plays full fledged role of Guru Maharaj. The day is not far, this forum would be here, you can revisit it to quote me. If they would not have shown it that way, sikhs would have been collectively agitated of misappropriation of facts. So they just created a ground work for future manipulations. (They=anti-sikh elements)

Everyone always jumps on the "RSS paranoia" bandwagon. We are becoming the biggest conspiracy theorists out there!

It is not a paranoia. Do you know everything that happens behind closed doors of indian government? Can you say for certainty that RSS is pro-sikh? If they would not have been there wouldn't have been official statements from stages of Nagpur (RSS headquarters) by RSS chiefs over the years that "Sikhs are hindus". If you still don't feel how big conspiracy is going on against sikhi by reading these statements, I can't say anything more. We shouldn't close our eyes and say sab theek hai, when the trouble maker is there, rat&cat analogy. Rather open the senses and see whats happening around.

I thought the movie was excellent. there was no "agenda" that I've seen. The movie made Sikhi look great! It's this "herd mentality" that is holding us back.

Indeed it may be splendid, superb, marvellous, but as I said earlier, any movie where anti-sikh elements are involved creates big doubts behind the intentions.

Our youth are getting into drugs and alcohol and our biggest concern is to try to shut down things that are actually positive.

Which youth, who is a drug addict, would go in cinema halls and see this movie? Jehra pehlan hi bemukh hai oh eh specially jaake dekhu? I don't think so. Naale je movies hi nasha hataun lag gayian taan its so easy, movies banao, lokan nu dikhao and bas problem solve. Problem edan nu solve hundi veerji. Gyan andron aunda, jo Gurbani leke aundi. Gurbani samjhan di lorh hai drug problem solve hoju.

Keep complaining while we are losing our youth because we can't get past our stone age thinking.

One day someone would say Gurbani is stone-age thinking too, "Bahut old cheez aa ji, time de naal badalna penda". But I am sorry, jo cheez change ho gayi, that can't be true. Sach is something which is eternally true.

We are loosing our youth because of our so called panthic leaders. Who do you think allows drugs to be sold so freely? Its the government, which indirectly controls Sikhi too. If sikhi is liberated from them today (as I said in earlier post), its obvious more youth would come into sikhi. The same happened in 1970s and 1980s when we were free from government influence.

Aside, veerji do you think its right for some person to play role of Guru Sahib? Guru Sahib varga kon ho sakda. We don't know what that actor does in this real life (not reel life). And he/she plays role of these pious souls? It doesn't seem nice.

Rest you know better than me. I don't mean any offence from my post.

Bhul chuk maaf

Waheguru Ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

I struggle with this, trying to understand but everything is spoken in a foreign tongue.

Bit like the Catholics only allowing Latin to be spoken at mass or the Muslims only speaking in Arabic.

In translation, you lose the essence. You may understand the very basic meaning but you could never truly understand the depth of the message without learning the original language.

I struggle with this, trying to understand but everything is spoken in a foreign tongue.

Bit like the Catholics only allowing Latin to be spoken at mass or the Muslims only speaking in Arabic

Bro, I don't know what skaur8888 is talking about because there is no restriction if one wants to speak English or any other language in any Gurdwara in the world. Anyone can speak any language they want. If a Kathakar can do Katha in English he is more than welcome.

I just wanted to say that we are our own worst enemies. Who needs RSS to stop Sikhi parchar when we are doing it by ourselves? Watching this movie left me in awe, and I was hoping others would also be able to experience the same pure joy me and my friends enjoyed while watching this movie, but that's not gonna happen. I got to see Guru Ji walking in the snow to see the Sidhs in Sidh gost, I got to see scenes that brought tears to peoples eyes with the greatness of Sikhi that was shown in the film. Thank you fanatics for bringing us back another 100 step.You can go back to your caves now.

I just wanted to say that we are our own worst enemies. Who needs RSS to stop Sikhi parchar when we are doing it by ourselves? Watching this movie left me in awe, and I was hoping others would also be able to experience the same pure joy me and my friends enjoyed while watching this movie, but that's not gonna happen. I got to see Guru Ji walking in the snow to see the Sidhs in Sidh gost, I got to see scenes that brought tears to peoples eyes with the greatness of Sikhi that was shown in the film. Thank you fanatics for bringing us back another 100 step.You can go back to your caves now.

Jo Prabh Ko Milbo Chahe, Khoj Shabad mai Le

Yesterday I got to go and watch Nanak Shah Fakir at one of the few cinemas still showing it. First of all I was real disappointed that there were only a few people in the theatre and came up with numerous reasons as to why this could be the case. Was it due to boycott, protests, fear of intimidation by groups/individuals or were the majority of Sikhs just against the concept of portraying Guru ji on the big screen?

Not to be disturbed by the lack of attendance I watched the movie anxiously amongst all the hype and controversy we had heard and seen. First of all I am no historian nor do I profess have great knowledge of intricate details, names of people, places with whom Guru ji came into contact with yet I do remember some of the basic Saakhis and the morals of the story to be taken away of the incidents that have been told to us from Sri Guru Nanak Dev’s Jis teachings.

Over the two hour plus duration of the film the viewer is given what I would call very short tasters of some of the sakhis from Sri Guru Nanak Dev ji’s life. Most of the incidents narrated and shown leave you feeling somewhat short changed, once they move on to the next scene, and that it was not to the depth that one might have heard in 1 – 2 hour kirtan, katha session where only a single story could take that much time to narrate. Did they try too hard to put too much in such a short space of time, cramming too many sakhis leaving out some of the spiritual gyan that should be imparted in the message. Most certainly one clearly realises that the life and teachings of Sri Guru Nanak Dev ji cannot be portrayed in only 2 hours and you are left wanting more and for the film to never end.

It is very easy to sit here and criticise the film saying they didn’t do this or they did that differently but I do have to commend the makers of the film for what they have made. I have to give credit and due praise for shooting of the movie because it is absolutely captured stunningly given various limitations and something you would expect from Hollywood films. It certainly doesn’t come across as being low budget like some other dharmic movies I have seen. Makes you feel proud that some Sikh with the time and budget was able to put together a film like this. Some of the scenes in the movie leave you feeling so drawn in like being there with Guru ji which hits you in the depths of the chest and the love that built up for the founder of our faith over they years just hurts and wants to bust out with the longing for that magical darshan/vision and sheer presence even though it is only a movie. It is a joyous spiritual / emotional moment that one very infrequently experiences.

Making the film from the perspective of Mardana was a great idea and showing an actual body frame at times and giving Guru ji a voice gave the film some depth to Guru ji’s character and feeling which is cannot be gained with static cartoons or artwork like previous dharmic movies. Whilst I felt they tried to keep Guru ji’s dialog to a minimum where possible I would have preferred a lot more even if limited to seeing the back or other body portion.

I did however feel that the movie lacked some deep spiritual gyan in terms of bhagti or naam simran. Plenty a time I heard the mentioning of kirat karo and vand kay chakko but never once did I hear naam japo. The movie somewhat depicted an image that Guru ji’s primary teachings were only on these tenants and there was a lack of focus on the preaching on the remembrance of Waheguru somewhat. Yes sure there were mentions of remember the Upar Wala/One Above but that did not come clearly across from his vast teachings. This core teaching I would have wished more emphasis was given upon.

Without saying too much about the film and spoiling it for others I would say, not a bad effort at all and I am really pleased I got to see it even if it wasn’t perfect. Then again nothing ever will and can be produced which will come close or complete to the vast spiritual gyan and impression that Guru ji left us with.

Dhan Guru Nanak Dev Ji!

The majority emphasis here seems to be from the western parts of the world.

What about the attitude/comments from India?

Question: Isnt this the kind of film that is needed amongst numerous thousands of Sikhs living in Punjab/India that are lost in drugs/gangs/violence and disowning their Sikhi? Think about the day and day out manipulations they are going through in India being fed hardcore RSS propoganda. From comments/observation, this film doesnt have that strong influence.

Fine we understand the inaccuracies of the janam sakhis, or any influence RSS (if any) has on the film and also the fact that a human being played role of Guru Nanak Dev Jee and other prominent figures.

But, do we see anything positive that this movie might bring to the young/old generations in India? Or even for non-sikhs?