Surrey Sikh Violence

The Sikh community in BC has been middle class for decades now, almost always was. We didn't get into the drugs to escape poverty here.

Still wondering what ghetto you are from by the way.

i live in calgary and live in an area where it is really multicultural and working class but also has low income housing. it used to have a good punjabi population back in the day but now most of them have moved to better areas and r respectable people so there r now mostly africans, arabs eithiopians alot of these ppl r from war torn countries n live in the crappiest houses i seen in my life it looks like ur not even in canada cos they got garbage n mess everywhere these ppl living in real poverty and alot of them do sell drugs they have reasons like they didn't do good in school due to english, PTSD from there original countries and what not. when i go to bc the area i visit the most is newton and its all good nice clean and friendly not a sh*thole filled with garbage. Whats funny to me is tho that when i went to the ciniplex which is in the same area so many of the apne there just staring at me givin me dirty looks acting tough like they got something to prove for no reason its these types of guys who r prolly the dealers and so called gangsters. The sad part is that people are actually dying because of this.

The fact is you don't ever see this type of behavior from Sikhs/Punjabis in Alberta, and Ontario where we are respected members of society we did have some problems with gangs but that was in the late 90s and early 2000s . We are now looked up to by a lot of white people and other minorities as success stories and integrated members of society. The same is probably viewed in BC but its when people start hyping this surrey gangs that you start losing respect,

i live in calgary and live in an area where it is really multicultural and working class but also has low income housing. it used to have a good punjabi population back in the day but now most of them have moved to better areas and r respectable people so there r now mostly africans, arabs eithiopians alot of these ppl r from war torn countries n live in the crappiest houses i seen in my life it looks like ur not even in canada cos they got garbage n mess everywhere these ppl living in real poverty and alot of them do sell drugs they have reasons like they didn't do good in school due to english, PTSD from there original countries and what not. when i go to bc the area i visit the most is newton and its all good nice clean and friendly not a sh*thole filled with garbage. Whats funny to me is tho that when i went to the ciniplex which is in the same area so many of the apne there just staring at me givin me dirty looks acting tough like they got something to prove for no reason its these types of guys who r prolly the dealers and so called gangsters. The sad part is that people are actually dying because of this.

The fact is you don't ever see this type of behavior from Sikhs/Punjabis in Alberta, and Ontario where we are respected members of society we did have some problems with gangs but that was in the late 90s and early 2000s . We are now looked up to by a lot of white people and other minorities as success stories and integrated members of society. The same is probably viewed in BC but its when people start hyping this surrey gangs that you start losing respect,

I have been to calgary many many times, been throughout the city, sure some areas were a bit poorer than others, but still Calgary isnt considered ghetto by any means. Nor is it a very dangerous city, in fact in the past couple years Surreys homicide rate has been higher than Calgarys. And garbage means nothing, take care of your properties perhaps? Also the horrible weather in Calgary adds wear and tear to the houses, giving them a "crappy" look. Regardless, got a good laugh, I was hoping you'd say an american ghetto citt, but Calgary?

In the end, you simply don't know why this war is happening, and youre spreading false info.

And, I hear plenty from my family of brown kids in toronto and alberta being trouble makers, they just dont have any guts to jump from bats to guns.

there actually is increase in crime we had a 3 shootings in one day (and there r hoods in calgary l\ forest lawn, marlborough, rundle) n also had a couple of guys in my area who were shooting cars and houses at random so it isnt all that safe. what im tryin to say is that the kids in bc especially surrey r spoiled by there parents and really dont need to be doing this gang thing, We had the same thing going on here but it was just a phase that alot of people grew out of and only few continued on in adulthood dont know why the kids in surrey dont just drop the act it itsnt doing the community any favours as most of the victims in the past and in the most recent cases have been fellow punjabis

and trust me i no ALOT of people in the community here and we dont have any problems with having a bad image among people. Our community is probably one of the most respected its newer immigrant groups that are more into crime and gangs we are smarter than them and way better off so i don't know where you got the apne being trouble makers i only heard of 2 instances of that sort of thing happening here. I dont no why you are trying to stick up for these guys they don't do us any favors and make the community look bad. If i had to compare i would say that Calgary's urban culture is alot more similar to toronto than it is to vancouver so that could be a factor as there are people from WAY more different ethnic communities living here while in BC the main communities are white asian and punjabi so that could play a role aswell

there actually is increase in crime we had a 3 shootings in one day n also had a couple of guys in my area who were shooting cars and houses at random so it isnt all that safe. what im tryin to say is that the kids in bc especially surrey r spoiled by there parents and really dont need to be doing this gang thing, We had the same thing going on here but it was just a phase that alot of people grew out of and only few continued on in adulthood dont know why the kids in surrey dont just drop the act it itsnt doing the community any favours as most of the victims in the past and in the most recent cases have been fellow punjabis

and trust me i no ALOT of people in the community here and we dont have any problems with having a bad image among people. Our community is probably one of the most respected its newer immigrant groups that are more into crime and gangs we are smarter than them and way better off so i don't know where you got the apne being trouble makers i only heard of 2 instances of that sort of thing happening here. I dont no why you are trying to stick up for these guys they don't do us any favors and make the community look bad.

What makes you think its an act? Theyre not trying to do the community any favours, or care. All im saying is stop making up stuff, you don't know whos spoiled or whos not, or why theyre doing what they are, or whos the victims. Take a look at 2009 gang war for one example.

And Im born and raised here, I grew up with these guys. I have no objections to such a lifestyle or crime. Nor do I see why these guys have to be our community representatives, plenty of good people can be the face of our community.

I'm just going by what the papers report and they say that most of the BC indo canadian gangsters come from well off families and that historically most of the victims have been punjabis at the hands of fellow punjabis im not spreading lies because all of what i said can be found online. You're right I don't know them personally but judging from what I've seen on my visits to BC the punjabi community looks pretty good and middle class so you tell me why would middle class kids wanna throw there life away by being in a gang? Most gangs are a result of social pressures like poverty and drugs ect things that i would say 90 percent of this guys have never seen. Punjabis in BC should be following the ones in places like calgary and toronto and be more business oriented and focus more on being upper class/upper middle class instead of giving themselves the image of criminals

I'm just going by what the papers report and they say that most of the BC indo canadian gangsters come from well off families and that historically most of the victims have been punjabis at the hands of fellow punjabis im not spreading lies because all of what i said can be found online. You're right I don't know them personally but judging from what I've seen on my visits to BC the punjabi community looks pretty good and middle class so you tell me why would middle class kids wanna throw there life away by being in a gang? Most gangs are a result of social pressures like poverty and drugs ect things that i would say 90 percent of this guys have never seen. Punjabis in BC should be following the ones in places like calgary and toronto and be more business oriented and focus more on being upper class/upper middle class instead of giving themselves the image of criminals

My friend the papers and documentaries know very little, they never talk to whos involved, instead theyll find some sociologist or psychologist etcetra. We're all middle class here, asians and whites, but some guys just fall into that path for many different reasons. And we have tons of businesses here, and are very well represented in all spheres of public life, more so than Alberta and Ontario. BC Sikhs are much more complicated than rest of Canada.

ya true sikhs in BC are very complicated its the same place where the most hardened and orthodox communities out there with alot of khalistani influence but also has more liberal types like the ross street gurdwara people but i gotta giv it to BC sikhs cos they r the ones who done the most seva for our community in canada, i think there is a problem though probably due to the huge population who knows maybe when the population increases here we might start seeing the same problems