Sardar Jokes

Anad

Sat Sri Akal Sangat,

Here I am to discuss a very important issue, Most of you must have gone through the answers to the question

"What is the funniest sardar joke you've heard?" on www.quora.com.
I had also gone through and I felt bad, as a huge social platform like quora was being used to shame Sikhs.

Some people may say , it is "fun", but targeting a particular religion in public like this is not acceptable.

Anyway, I happened to edit the question(which Quora allows). However, the person who had posted the question reframed it to

the same again; I edited it again and this process continued for sometime. After that I mailed quora-moderation to take action against this question.

The other person must have also mailed them to check why someone (me, I was anonymous) repeatedly editing the question.

I did get a message from quora saying that it is not okay to edit any question in this way, also, Quora removed all the joke answers from the question.

But still the question is there; the moderation team has reframed it to

"What are some Sardar Jokes?". It has also mentioned some strict guidelines which the answers, if any, must adhere to.

Two or three new answers(jokes)had been posted but they were removed as they didn't meet the guidelines.

Although Quora will be strictly observing the joke answers now, and would remove them if they are actually demeaning the religion, but still,

I feel that the presence of the question itself is unacceptable. Why should such a question be allowed on a big social platform like Quora,

which is meant for knowledge and awareness sharing?

Here is the link to the reframed question : http://www.quora.com/What-are-some-Sardar-jokes

All the members here, I would request you to go to this link and downvote and report this question. If a sufficient number of downvotes is reached,

Quora will be forced to remove it.

Also please write a formal email to this email id : tatiana@moderation.quora.com,

explaining that this question is hurting religious sentiments and should be removed.

]

Please show unity and do this !

Thank You :-)

Let these people make their jokes. If we are our Dashmesh Pita's Shers, we can weather their petty insults.

Hindus make the Sikhs the butt of their jokes because they are jealous, and deeply unsettled and insecure about their own history, which consists of repeatedly being crushed without having put up any real fight.

Let these people make their jokes.

I agree.

In a way, its a good way to remind the civilised world how backward and uncivilised Hindu India is i.e a good 30-40 years behind the rest of the world in terms of decency. Civilised countries, such as the UK and USA stopped seeing 'jokes' about minorities as 'jokes' in the late 1970's early 1980's. Up until then, British people saw it as acceptable to make similar jokes about the Irish and Americans thought it acceptable to make similar jokes about the Polaks (Polish-Americans). But then, in the late 1970's, they realised it wasn't acceptable and certainly wasn't funny. So they stopped. So, in a positive way, the Indian's love of telling 'sardar' jokes is testament to their true status as uncivilised backward barbarians. You can't train barbarians to become civilised so its best we use the status quo to our advantage by reminding the rest of the world about them.

Guest Jacfsing2

People will still be making jokes as long as the jokers, (SGPC) actually mean anything, but a good one would be why was the SGPC originally made? To get our Gurdwaras free from Udasis and Massands! Now that just is hypocritical.

It is only cowards and non martial people that make jokes on Sardars. The two most martial people of South Asia are Sikhs and Pathans and both suffer from these racist jokes by made by non martial people of South Asia who have lived under 1000 years of slavery of foreign rulers. One should note that you will not see other martial people of South Asia like the marathas or rajputs making these Sardar jokes. Sikhs of olden times were big hearted and brave people that fought against invaders without fear. They were not chalaak like the people who now make fun of us and who would run away at the first instance they see an invader

The cowardly elements within Indian society makes fun of Sikhs, it's these same cowardly elements that are also the crafty, conniving backstabbers. These cowardly elements are also very mercantile in nature and have sold out time and time again and have collaborated with the invaders.

• 2 months later...

I'm assuming you're referring to those Santa/Banta jokes? LOL! C'mon, they're funny. In fact they made Sikhs popular.

Maybe made you popular when people laugh at your stupidity that you enjoy being made fun of.

No self respecting Sikh would allow any one to make Sardar jokes in front of them and give a befitting reply to shut them up.

No self respecting Sikh would allow any one to make Sardar jokes in front of them and give a befitting reply to shut them up.

There was a time when even moneh Sikhs would shut down all jokes and loose-tongued talk of a disparaging nature which made Singhs the punchline if a Singh himself wasn't there to do it. Nowadays they join in with the rest of them.

There was a time when even moneh Sikhs would shut down all jokes and loose-tongued talk of a disparaging nature which made Singhs the punchline if a Singh himself wasn't there to do it. Nowadays they join in with the rest of them.

Exactly. It just shows how little self respect these so called Sikhs have for themselves.