Important Decisions In Life

Hi,

What is your opinion on: "Religion, traditions or personal beliefs doesn't give us the right and aren't an excusefor imposing our will on others or for our actions."

Thanks

I was thinking along the lines of family EG a father or mother dictating to a son or daughter what they should morally do.

Religion, traditions and personal beliefs will all figure in their decision and sometimes an adults will must be imposed on a family member otherwise we have no guidance for our children.

Just my tuppance worth.

Hi,

Thanks for the answers.

To give an example:

- you want someone to act a certain way, or dress a certain way or merry a certain person because is your belief or your traditions or religion says is the right thing to do.

But that person isn't a bad person ( respects others, doesn't breake the law ) but doesn't agree with you because religion or tradions aren't a big part in there life and they want to make their own decisions regarding there own life.

Is it ok to accept that persons decision irelevant of my/our families religion, traditions, or beliefs

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for the answers.

To give an example:

- you want someone to act a certain way, or dress a certain way or merry a certain person because is your belief or your traditions or religion says is the right thing to do.

But that person isn't a bad person ( respects others, doesn't breake the law ) but doesn't agree with you because religion or tradions aren't a big part in there life and they want to make their own decisions regarding there own life.

Is it ok to accept that persons decision irelevant of my/our families religion, traditions, or beliefs

Thanks

What's the alternative? Force them? With threats of violence or what? If they refuse to understand your perspective through verbal communication and reasoning there's not much else you can do aside from get a bit heavy handed and turn the situation ugly, which I wouldn't recommend. Yes, it's sad and infuriating at times to see a loved one enter a situation that isnt ideal, but best to let them make their mistakes. Easier said than done, especially for an outsider such as myself, but feasibly it's the only option available to you.

If I'm being completely and utterly frank, if you're determined that your perspective is the right one, then you can lay down an ultimatum or two to "encourage" the other party to tow the line. But that takes some manoeuvring and isn't for the feint of heart. It depends what you're willing to do and how bad the potential situation is for the person you're concerned about.

Hi,
Thanks for the answers.
To give an example:
Thanks

I think so, yes. Things such as one's cultural outlook/traditions are accidents of birth. I don't believe that a person should allow their views of the world to be determined by something so limiting as geography, something that was entirely out of their hands. One's values should be arrived at through a process of self-examination, not spoon-fed to them on the singular basis that people born in a particular space of land must all think a certain way.

These values, derived from honest introspection are, in my opinion, more worthy of respect than hereditary ones. They shall prove all the more valuable in the quest for a common humanity.