How About An .......akaal Takht In Exile?

garch

In light of the well known fact that the SGPC and Akaal Takht and other Takhts in India are under direct or indirect control of majority Hindu (RSS) government should a Sarbhat Khalsa be held on foreign soil or online (or a combination of both - but lets not get into debating how it would happen for now) in order to have an Akaal Takht in Exile out of the reaches of the India Govt?

This would mean a Jathedar with the support of the panth and vidhvaans would be selected, the benefits of which would be massive. Some may argue this would be another divide in an already fragmented panth, but I am sure it could have a positive impact in challenging the current problem we have with a leadership that is subservient to RSS.

Unless something as radical as this happens then I can't see anyway of wrestling power from those that are help bent on harming Sikhs. The RSS govt is more powerful then most understand and if we dont stem their surge into Punjab and remove them from our (Sikhs) 'top table' then the future for many generations of Sikhs in Punjab is bleak (drugs/apostacy/alcohol/foeticide/genocide etc).

There is no doctrine for how or who can call a Sarbhat Khalsa, a call by the majority of the sangat and supported by a massive number of Gurmukhs/Vidvaans would out rank all that opose it.

If a well funded/articulated case is made by the diaspora and propagated in Punjab now whilst there is an increasing unrest among the Sikh youth (as seen in the media these recent months) we could make a change?

SO HOW ABOUT IT A SARBHAT KHALSA TO DEBATE ONE QUESTION... SHALL WE TAKE THE POWER OF THE AKAAL TAKHT BACK AND MOVE IT ABROAD UNTIL WE TAKE BACK CONTROL OF OUR HOME?

A benti to anyone responding keep comments chardikala in nature, what I mean is if you don't agree make a better suggestion or keep criticism clean and fair - apart from a few trolls, we all want the same thing.

no this is not a good idea. this will just cause more problems. what would be easier is to start or use a existing organization and have all gurdwaras join it and all parcharks support it and let this organization make decisions for the country it is started in all country can have there own because they know the local issues better. this organization can pass resouations and put pressure on akal thakhat to support sikh causes. because it will speak with one voice

no this is not a good idea. this will just cause more problems. what would be easier is to start or use a existing organization and have all gurdwaras join it and all parcharks support it and let this organization make decisions for the country it is started in all country can have there own because they know the local issues better. this organization can pass resouations and put pressure on akal thakhat to support sikh causes. because it will speak with one voice

Yes agree this may help with issues on a local level in the diaspora, but the diasporic community are not having the issues I mentioned above instigated by the state they live in (drugs/apostacy/alcohol/foeticide/genocide etc).

The lobbying of the akaal takht you refer of has been tried and failed and its obvious i.e. if you listen to end of the recent Hari Singh Randhawa debate in Surrey pt 2, you will hear how both Hari Singh and the missionary elders say gurdware, panthic personalities, jathe have been lobbying the akaal takht/sgpc with issues and solutions for donkies of years yet they are ignored as the enemies of the Sikh mat (that are withing the SGPC) want the issues within the kaum to get worse not better.

My solution would free us of the shackles placed on us by the RSS and the fake Akali Dal and would provide more of ability to react to pathic matters/strategy, the greatest of which is that we are currently led by non Sikhs and/or anti Sikhs.

The revolution was needed in the 70's/80's and things have only got worse since, punjab is in the midst of a genocide and our "leaders" don't even acknowledge it, minor institutional changes are not going to change anything.... leadership change that is carefully done is the only way forward.

I would support only if sikh institutions outside of india are clean of court cases, fights, committee problems. If you see there isnt much vast difference between sikh institutions in india and abroad. Every non-india gurdwara has some sort of court cases; if we are depending on a non-sikh judge judgement then how we are capable of running such precious akal takht type institution?

You are always going to get civil disagreements when mere mortals a placed in charge of gurdware, unless we can create a heaven on earth this will always be the case, I actually think some of these petty matters are best dealt with locally, ideally by sikhs internally but failing the infrastructure/will to do that then by civil courts.

The Akaal Takht could only get involved in each of these matters in the diaspora if the funding/infrastructure was available to set-up satellite courts in the diaspora, i think this is a side issue and shouldnt be confused with the headline issue - RSS/State infiltrating the current Sikh leadership.

A new Akaal Takht mukhi would be selected by the panth for high jeevan, kamaai, leadership qualities, gurmat gian etc as done in puratan times and would deal with the more serious Panthic issues. Gurdwara politics has nothing to do with at all, the decision would be panthic and not taken by gurdware

like I said the machanics of how they would be selected is another discussion but if you look at our ithaas we are capable to some massive feats, just 30 years ago we selected a mukhi without even casting a vote and can do it again.... lets at least realise that it needs to be done first

It's a noble sentiment, but I think we'd do better to focus on reforming the governing bodies of the Sikh world in the Punjab, not on erecting our own elsewhere. Sikhi could do without a schism right now.

Also, as other posters have pointed out, the Sikhs of the West are no less susceptible to corruption than our brethren in the Punjab. An Akaal Takhat in exile would probably still be rife with politicians and plutocrats.

I think what we really need is some sort of mass uprising in the Punjab. The stranglehold of the Badals on Sri Akaal Takhat Sahib has to be broken. I could see the Sarbat Khalsa being a solution to this problem at least.

Could this uprising happen without a leadership selected by the masses (Sarbhat Khalsa) that is at least in part out of the reach of the hindutva forces?

If the prominent babeh and panthics organisations that are not affiliated to badal stood together with the diaspora and say lets select a new leadership I feel the kaum will accept the leader and partly topple Badal in just that single decision.

The point about an exiled Akaal takht isnt about a western leadership... it is about the kaum selecting a leadership from the wider kaum (from within or out of india) that deserves to sit in the Akal Takht... then safely lead the toppling of RSS/Badal and stooges before moving back to Amritsar.

To say its not possible for the worldwide (inc India & diasporic) sikh kaum to select its leadership is defeatist... corruption has been there since day 1 500 years ago and always will be, the battle against corruption will be never ending, I can't think nor have I heard of any actions other then this that could credibly weaken Badals and RSS grip on the Sikh kaum.

Maybe I'm deluded but I believe that the sikh kaum (including most Jathe/joe bloggs) have the desire and ability to find and select a gurmukh(s) that has the gurmat gian and leadership ability for the role of guiding us through this battle.

Good idea but instead of having 1 jathedar, have panj pyare.

maybe