Can You Be Sikh And A Feminist Or Not?

cool water

Your work in the journalist/newspaper trade where liquid lunches are the norm and you having to do all the work may not be due to you being a female either.

Plenty of companies where men have to work extra to cover female colleagues. I have worked with female colleagues who milk the maternity system for all it's worth,getting pregnant, get long term sick leave then maternity leave, come back to cover another pregnant woman then get pregnant again, rinse and repeat. They spend majority of the 3-4 years on nearly full pay whilst practically doing very little work.

amazing response , so enlightened so SIkh NOT . 1. I worked in the IT department as a software analyst...so no not really what you imagine. 2. sorry milking the maternity leave ? you have to work for some years before qualifying then you are restricted to 11 weeks paid leave the rest is unpaid to a max of six months from birth. If you were actually realistic this is minimum necessary for healthy baby i.e. breastfed... if a woman is on sick leave it is usually by doctor sign off and usually for something serious. Do women have a choice ? if they and their partner want kids they have to do it this way and it makes sense to do it while you are young and healthy. I had my eldest and came back fulltime after six months as I had help from family and then two years later I was in that position. The manager was being irrational he was using people who were not on his teams to justify his treatment of myself when my own conduct had been explemplary, it should be decided on a case by case basis. He claimed that he didn't think that he would give me a matching raise as the men were married and had kids ...er hello? we all had the same jobrole, similar experience only I didn't have man junk and didn't ogle females

amazing response , so enlightened so SIkh NOT . 1. I worked in the IT department as a software analyst...so no not really what you imagine. 2. sorry milking the maternity leave ? you have to work for some years before qualifying then you are restricted to 11 weeks paid leave the rest is unpaid to a max of six months from birth. If you were actually realistic this is minimum necessary for healthy baby i.e. breastfed... if a woman is on sick leave it is usually by doctor sign off and usually for something serious. Do women have a choice ? if they and their partner want kids they have to do it this way and it makes sense to do it while you are young and healthy. I had my eldest and came back fulltime after six months as I had help from family and then two years later I was in that position. The manager was being irrational he was using people who were not on his teams to justify his treatment of myself when my own conduct had been explemplary, it should be decided on a case by case basis. He claimed that he didn't think that he would give me a matching raise as the men were married and had kids ...er hello? we all had the same jobrole, similar experience only I didn't have man junk and didn't ogle females

I cannot claim to know your experience, but what I observed from my previous workplace was also observed by other women who brought this milking the maternity system.

To claim that all women are oppressed in the workplace is simply not true.

However(being devil's advocate here), a lot of employers (particularly smaller companies) tend to be more reluctant to hire women because they have to replace these women when they go on maternity leave and then when they come back, they come back part-time. Employees are looked upon as an overhead and if their resource cannot be extracted for the money they are being paid for then they will look for someone who they feel they will get more commitment.

I cannot claim to know your experience, but what I observed from my previous workplace was also observed by other women who brought this milking the maternity system.

To claim that all women are oppressed in the workplace is simply not true.

However(being devil's advocate here), a lot of employers (particularly smaller companies) tend to be more reluctant to hire women because they have to replace these women when they go on maternity leave and then when they come back, they come back part-time. Employees are looked upon as an overhead and if their resource cannot be extracted for the money they are being paid for then they will look for someone who they feel they will get more commitment.

but this still doesn't excuse the abuse of power by management to keep hardworking committed members of staff from their just wages . You cannot 'milk' the system as you claim you have to put major time in doing a proper job ... I'm not saying there is major wage gap the watchdog agencies are women earn 70- 72% of a man's wages for the same job role with the same education level. It's just that management do it under the veil of wage secrecy .

No not all women but a large contingent ... and besides a lot of men are now using paternity leave to not necessarily bond with the new arrival wouldn't you call that milking the system too? Basically people should all earn decent wage and choose what the hell they like to do with it rather than be told I am making my decision to pay you on what I think your lifestyle choices should be ...

but this still doesn't excuse the abuse of power by management to keep hardworking committed members of staff from their just wages . You cannot 'milk' the system as you claim you have to put major time in doing a proper job ... I'm not saying there is major wage gap the watchdog agencies are women earn 70- 72% of a man's wages for the same job role with the same education level. It's just that management do it under the veil of wage secrecy .

No not all women but a large contingent ... and besides a lot of men are now using paternity leave to not necessarily bond with the new arrival wouldn't you call that milking the system too? Basically people should all earn decent wage and choose what the hell they like to do with it rather than be told I am making my decision to pay you on what I think your lifestyle choices should be ...

If management can get away paying committed workforce less money they will.

I have heard contrary reports about the so called 70-72% wages for women. If women really were paid 70-72% of men, most companies would get rid of the men and just hire women to save almost 30% in overheads.

just to clarify there isn't any pay gap,

women typically go for less paying jobs, and men go for higher paying jobs

in other words, its pretty much because male are going for STEM, and women arent as much.

veer ji I worked in computer industry was more qualified than the blokes who came up through work with o-level education rather than getting programming skills or proper software analysis or testing skills through actual specific education . I mean I corrected a major waste of resources and designed a well-received GUI for external clients which would make their jobs easier due to better data pick up and was told but you can't do that because we have always done it this way !

Women after having kids are usually forced to go for low paying part-time work because employers are not willing to allow job-sharing or flexible hours .

Guest Jacfsing2

Does that mean none of them are right then? lol

That's not what I said, an example is Gurbani: where the direct translation of Bani is not exactly what the meaning is, despite the translation is true, the actual meaning of what is being said is many depending on interpretation.

Does that mean none of them are right then? lol

No, it just means that the definition doesn't correspond with how most feminists act in real life. Thier actions make us doubt them.

Using that definition assumes all feminists only work for equality and nothing, while most women claiming to be feminists have done otherwise

No, it just means that the definition doesn't correspond with how most feminists act in real life. Thier actions make us doubt them.

Using that definition assumes all feminists only work for equality and nothing, while most women claiming to be feminists have done otherwise

I would even postulate that the western feminist have not thought how they were manipulated into becoming what the men wanted :sexual playthings by pushing for the pill, abortions etc ...also shoulders to push their real duties off onto:it allowed men to be irresponsible, unreliable and ultimately non-committed to marriage . which then lead to undermining women further by leaving them holding the baby literally, forced to be an economic slave to industries who further pushed poorer women down the social pegging and into poverty. The vote may have been won but only in a few countries...education is still not universal,meaningful and until adulthood in many nations. The girls are still being exploited by child marriage, trafficking, prostitution and dying in their thousands everyday. When ALL women have the kind of respect Guru Nanak Devji gave them and protection as Guru Gobind SIngh ji gave then I will say feminism has succeeded but so far I am not impressed.