Lazer Before Amrit

Guest Buxton

Yeah but you are making the normal day to day working lives of your wives far more difficult by insisting they grow facial hair, they have to face the public not you.

In the UK at least.

AKJ seems good to me.

Eduardo, your concern is valid in that no woman should be made to keep her body hair by the insistence of men. (Although ironically in this society they are encouraged to remove it by the insistence of men - that is what you should be protesting). But you seem to be implying that the only reason a Kaur would do so is due to the latter and not because she's exercising her own free choice. No, that's demeaning and paints us (women) in a bad light. A Sikh woman will be as hairy or hairless as she wishes on account of her own choice.

Women will do or not do as they wish with their bodies. The poster asked whether laser before Amrit was permissible on Sikhi grounds, and it's not. It can never suddenly be. I think people know that even whilst they decide to do it. But nonetheless, people will do as they wish with their bodies - and nobody is stopping them, but Sikhi does not change because of it.

Women will do or not do as they wish with their bodies.

It's just that I work with quite a lot of Somali women and they get you know CUT so I am a bit uber sensitive about this point at the moment but it is nice to know Sikh women grow hair because they want to and not from community pressure is all.

It's just that I work with quite a lot of Somali women and they get you know CUT so I am a bit uber sensitive about this point at the moment but it is nice to know Sikh women grow hair because they want to and not from community pressure is all.

From my own experience, the difference between Sikh females keeping uncut hair and your Somali example is nobody really "insists" Sikh females must do this or that. Are Somali girls pressured into that procedure? I really don't know enough about it to say.

But in terms of Sikhs, yes, most people have an opinion about certain issues once someone has started upon the path, but there isn't that level of intense scrutiny to the point where a random member of the religious police walks up to them and makes demands or lays down ultimatums. I truly do believe it is a choice on the part of Sikh females.

Yeah but you are making the normal day to day working lives of your wives far more difficult by insisting they grow facial hair, they have to face the public not you.

In the UK at least.

AKJ seems good to me.

Why is it that when you people talk about the muslim niqab or sikh facial hair, you automatically assume that its a male imposition? Is it a british thing? You civilised white people and us barbaric brown people?

"Bit extreme isn't it?" The comparison of genital mutilation to facial hair?

Ironic how female genital mutilation has become a hot issue all of a sudden yet male genital mutilation is extensively practiced in the west. Hmm makes sense. Any excuse for the civilised white man to become the liberator of the barbaric people

"Bit extreme isn't it?" The comparison of genital mutilation to facial hair?

Ironic how female genital mutilation has become a hot issue all of a sudden yet male genital mutilation is extensively practiced in the west. Hmm makes sense. Any excuse for the civilised white man to become the liberator of the barbaric people

Well no actually it was to put Sikhi above Islam cos your women ain't cut.

Well no actually it was to put Sikhi above Islam cos your women ain't cut.

There really is no need to put sikhi above anything mate. Sikhi is where it is.

Since genital mutilation is practiced my many christians in the west, i dont think theres much difference between islam and christianity on this matter...

Do what you want, but just remember that our hairs play a purpose. If we end up in hell after we die, we are apparently pulled out of hell from our hairs. So the less hairs you have the more painful, I guess.

I understand the reasoning for such stories, but I'd rather keep kesh because of obeying Guru Sahib's hukam. I don't need the dramatic carrot of bring plucked from hellfire dangled in front of me to scare me into conforming. This may sound awesome when you're a teen or a child, but the older you get the more you realise Guru Sahib is not a cartoon character / superhero who goes around doing such things. In your attempt to portray him as such, what you're actually doing is giving the impression he isn't capable of looking into the soul of every Sikh and see who is his Sikh and who isn't.