Diary Of Sikh Woman: Why I Cannot Get Married

Guest Sikh Woman

There is no need to make gender specific requests; Guru Sahib has instructed that an Amritdhari Sikh keep his or her hair. Men and women of the Khalsa Panth are expected to adhere to the same Rehat Maryada and keep their Panj Kakkar, one of which is kesh.

Where is this written?

Nope. I'm asking when did Guruji Maharaj specifically state women must not get rid of any facial hair.

I've already answered your question! There was no need to be gender specific, since the Rehat of the Khalsa applies equally to men and women. In this context, kesh forms a Kakkar and the keeping of kesh occupies such a place that it is a bujjar kurehat to remove it. It's quite simple really.

Why would Guru Sahib specify that women must not "remove facial hair"? I'm not sure you realise how ludicrous that sounds, not only insofar as the latter is the most unnatural and superficial of actions centered around a modern archetype which the brainwashed ceaselessly chase. Sikhi is much higher than the latter - you leave this petty bull at the door to follow Gurmat. Were Sikh women so preoccupied with pulling the hair from their faces that they needed to be told not to do so? Was the injunction of the Khalsa not clear enough for these feeble creatures to understand?

So, before you ask me again, Guru Sahib has not told Sikh women to "keep facial hair"; the idea is unnecessary and laughable. The Guru created one Khalsa which adheres to the same injunction. Or are you here with an agenda to imply that Guru Sahib was sexist - that their words, their Khalsa, and their Rehat was only for the likes of males? Will you have difficulty understanding how on God's green earth the Guru could have possibly accepted women in their natural form, hair and all?

Arguing for gender equality on this forum is getting tiresome, Maharaj help us. I think this will be my last contribution.

Nope, not stopping. What you gonna do about it? Why don't you get lost?

Hi Quantavius. We as Sikhs have a code of conduct or a discipline called the rehat maryada. That states that the hair on a human body should not be removed. This applies to both females and males. Also when you take amrit the panj pyare will ask this commitment from both a man and a woman.

From reading your comments I think I can work out what your not understanding. In order to explain this I will need to talk a little bit about hair. We as humans have different types of hair. There is hair called pubic hair - i.e. armpit, private area and beard hair. Then there is hair that we think of as hair i.e. leg hair, arm hair. Then their is head hair - long hair. Each area of our body produces hair with different lengths, different textures, that grows at different speeds and falls out at different rates etc, also some areas have hair concentrated together and other areas have hair spread out. The only area of the human body that does not have hair is the sole of our foot and the palms of our hand i.e. the glabrous areas.

Facial hair exists on a woman - often it is what we call 'lango' hair. Lango means soft, baby hair. I don't know if you've seen a new born baby but it has facial hair that is very soft. Woman have lango facial hair - they remove upper lip hair, side hair and chin hair that is lango hair. They also shape their eyebrows. Woman generally don't have pubic style facial hair - pubic hair counts as a beard - that is because it is thick and coarse. Woman however do grow hair that is similar to their eyebrow hair. This can form a pattern because the hair on our body runs in a pattern known as Langerhans lines. Eg if you look at your arm hair then it is sweeping diagonally and if you look at your leg hair then that sweeps in a vertical pattern. We as humans should not feel ashamed of our natural form.

Sikh men and woman don't remove hair anywhere on their body. The guru expected men to not only keep beard but also head hair, leg hair, arm hair etc. Similarly girls are expected to keep their arm hair, leg hair, and facial hair. The facial hair on a girl is normally different to a man as usually its not pubic style hair but regardless according to the Sikh faith we keep it because we accept our human body.

@Barfi

Thanks for the long write up about hair. I assure you I know what hair is. Sorry but you're wrong about women not having beard like hair on their face. I've seen it myself. In fact there is a popular story about a Sikh woman who has a full beard in the UK that is traversing the net. Have you not read that one? I'll try to find it for you.

I've read a couple of books on Sikhism and nowhere does it state that Guruji Maharaj specifically state women must keep their facial hair. I believe the requirement for keeping a turban, beard...etc, etc is for creating a Sikh identity and eradication of inequality, nothing more. The notion that long hair gives one strength, health...etc, etc are add on's made by Sikhs to bolster support for keeping beard and hair. You would frequently hear Sikhs quoting Samson and now lately Jesus, Moses...on supposed good effects of keeping long hair. The irony of it all is that the keeping of long hair actually makes you bald faster then short hair as evidenced by those who cut their hair to become 'mone'.

I'm willing to wager that the majority of posters here supporting women keeping their facial hair would never get married to a woman with a 'mini beard'. Lets be honest and not lie to ourselves. I could be wrong and ask for apology in advance but I very much doubt Guruji Maharaj would want Sikh women to look like men.