Satnam Singh Is First Punjabi Drafted In Nba!

Guest Jacfsing2

I'll be surprised if you get any positive replies lol...

I'm surprised he got any response at all, and I read it only 5 minutes after it posted.

Having couple of Punjabis in NBA can only help Sikhs get some mainstream coverage in USA and Canada while give Sikh kids someone look up to.. Obviously having some professional athletes in our community is a positive thing. So I fail to see why anyone would be negative about it.

balle balle, imagine how much of an impact he would have made had he been at least kesdhari, question is would they have signed him then..

good on him, guys done well!

There have been Singhs playing in American college basketball in the past, so it wouldn't be an issue. If anything, NBA would have love to have a Singh since they like to promote diversity.

Darsh_7.jpg?itok=73_-rN9L

Source: http://www.pri.org/stories/2014-04-24/sikh-american-ncaa-basketball-player-learned-his-mother

Having couple of Punjabis in NBA can only help Sikhs get some mainstream coverage in USA and Canada while give Sikh kids someone look up to.. Obviously having some professional athletes in our community is a positive thing. So I fail to see why anyone would be negative about it.

You're right, there's definately nothing to be negative about with this news. Having said that, you'll have to understand the indifference from most. At the end of the day it's a local (American) sport that interests only local (American) people (and I suppose canadians by default) so for the rest of the entire planet you might as well have given us the news that a man with a Punjabi name has been chosen to play tiddlywinks at the tiddlywinks championship in Montana. i.e it means nothing one way or the other.

You're right, there's definately nothing to be negative about with this news. Having said that, you'll have to understand the indifference from most. At the end of the day it's a local (American) sport that interests only local (American) people (and I suppose canadians by default) so for the rest of the entire planet you might as well have given us the news that a man with a Punjabi name has been chosen to play tiddlywinks at the tiddlywinks championship in Montana. i.e it means nothing one way or the other.

That's where you're wrong since basketball is popular sport (pretty globe sport for that matter). You can find basketball players from different countries playing in NBA.

Real reason for indifference on here because majority of posters are from UK. But since there's a huge Sikh population in North America and now this news been huge in India (where we got Indian celebrities sending out congrats to Satnam Singh), this is huge deal. Given Basketball/NBA is quickly growing in India, this means we will see more Indians (especially those from Punjab which is consider basketball hotbed in India) caring more about basketball now. What's great about this is that it's our community (Sikh/Punjabi) leading the way for rest of South Asian community.

That's where you're wrong since basketball is popular sport (pretty globe sport for that matter). You can find basketball players from different countries playing in NBA.

No thats where you're wrong as basketball is a minor fringe sport in practically every country on earth except America (and so be default Canada too).

Yes, there a some people that play and follow basketball in countries all over the world just as there are some that play and follow Polo, chess and badminton but I would suggest you perhaps visit the great earth that exists outside north America if you really want to see and experience how much of a minor, fringe and niche sport basketball is around the globe rather than replying back quoting the freaky China phenonema.

No thats where you're wrong as basketball is a minor fringe sport in practically every country on earth except America (and so be default Canada too).

Yes, there a some people that play and follow basketball in countries all over the world just as there are some that play and follow Polo, chess and badminton but I would suggest you perhaps visit the great earth that exists outside north America if you really want to see and experience how much of a minor, fringe and niche sport basketball is around the globe rather than replying back quoting the freaky China phenonema.

Putting Basketball in same level to chess, polo and badminton is just stupid.

There are currently 215 countries part of FIBA and quality of players from other countries are growing while infrastructure is improving. Yes, basketball is huge in China, but if you look at Europe (especially Southern and Eastern European countries), you will see similar interest there as well.

NBA finals and All-star game was broadcast live in 215 countries while streamed in 47 different languages.