Children - Overrated?

Balkaar

It's a very straight thing, Parental love.

I personally believe children in general are far more aware than their parents do give them credit for. But most parents who are were born and brought up in a traditional, conservative punjabi household probably followed everything their parents did without question or even thought. that didn't make them ignorant or even unintelligent. But in our time (especially in the west) with the use of the internet and mixing with our cultures, Children are alot more aware of things. They ask questions, talk to their parents about current affairs. some parents are alarmed about this but some see it as promising.

On a personal note I have a younger sibling. I had a rather exemplary (im sorry for bragging) background, I was academically excelling, I could read adult books from a young age and even when it came to religious I would devour books about Sakhis, history or even general gian. I could hold a decent conversation with mosst adults about religion and even other things. I'm a bi-product of this day and age where Knowledge is easily accessible. But back to my sibling, She is far more intelligent than I. I never had access to the internet at her age, nor did I have access to an older sibling who's been there and can help (point point). As a result of all these openings she's flourished a-lot, at a young age she's already danced circles around adults, we come from a pretty conservative family. They have this notion of a girls being more household wives than anything else. She was around 7-8 when she questioned and defeated our sexist relatives and really left them speechless.

Back to my actual point. Children are growing more and more intelligent day by day. But Knowledge is like a drug, too much of it at once will completely destroy you. It can even push you over the edge. Parents (educated or not) are still a key role in helping them make sense of it all.

But that role should not be a role where they control their child. I believe putting a child on the right path and then letting him go from there while observing and guiding passively is more effective than actually forcing them onto it, holding their hand and pulling them along.

Just my thoughts

Says who? By whom is this believed, you?

Speaking as somebody who used to be one, I have it on good authority that the mind of the child is not pure, but awash with mischief and low-cunning. I once convinced my entire school that the place was haunted by the ghost of the former caretaker. Things got so bad and the other children so scared that the staff had to organize an assembly where they categorically stated that there were in fact no wraiths haunting the school. I loved every moment of the deception.

My friends believed I once developed superpowers lol. I used that to gain some pretty nice privileges.

Back to my actual point. Children are growing more and more intelligent day by day. But Knowledge is like a drug, too much of it at once will completely destroy you. It can even push you over the edge. Parents (educated or not) are still a key role in helping them make sense of it all.

But that role should not be a role where they control their child. I believe putting a child on the right path and then letting him go from there while observing and guiding passively is more effective than actually forcing them onto it, holding their hand and pulling them along.

Just my thoughts

Good points, children can definitely become very intelligent if they wish to be because information is so accessible. But it seems that most of them are simply content to exist as miniature lobotomites and p155 away their formative years playing xbox.

My friends believed I once developed superpowers lol. I used that to gain some pretty nice privileges.

Lol, what was the nature of your superpower?

Good points, children can definitely become very intelligent if they wish to be because information is so accessible. But it seems that most of them are simply content to exist as miniature lobotomites and p155 away their formative years playing xbox.

I suppose their a bi-product of a technical age. For myself I was born in a time when there was that transition period into it, as a result I got the best of both worlds. I spent my summers outsides playing with friends. Sadly now the only playing I do is on games. I can see why many governments are now stressing an emphasis on P.E but that's all going to be for nothing if no one has any interest in it. Why would you go outside, get sweaty, tired and dirty when you can stay inside, open a window and play games. All the fun at half the effort.

The more intelligent children will be very active as they'll see the benefit in it. But getting a balance is notoriously hard considering we can't survive 2 or 3 days without technology. My younger sibling was worried when we went to India about the lack of Internet, but she ended up enjoying it there simply by playing outside with other kids.

Lol, what was the nature of your superpower?

A whole host lol. I miraculously predicted the weather and what video our teacher would be playing, I was able to "curse" induviduals with bad luck if I desired, really it was just me using their naivety against them. When it came to bad luck they would become so paranoid and worried every little mistake would seem like a result of it. . They weren't so much superpowers, it was honestly just foresight and psychological manipulation (gosh I sound like a right sociopath), just my curious nature drawing me to strange things. I also loved reading books about science, one of them was about science and magic. I convinced my friends I could move a magnet with my mind but really i was just pulling it along under the table and no one noticed. haha

Maybe you were ill? What kind of a child would do something like that, but it wouldn't be a surprise if the parents gave no gyan to the child. I'm talking based on what I have been told.

LOL

A child who isn't quite as stupid or gullible as all the other mites milling about him, I should think.

I suppose their a bi-product of a technical age. For myself I was born in a time when there was that transition period into it, as a result I got the best of both worlds. I spent my summers outsides playing with friends. Sadly now the only playing I do is on games. I can see why many governments are now stressing an emphasis on P.E but that's all going to be for nothing if no one has any interest in it. Why would you go outside, get sweaty, tired and dirty when you can stay inside, open a window and play games. All the fun at half the effort.

A whole host lol. I miraculously predicted the weather and what video our teacher would be playing, I was able to "curse" induviduals with bad luck if I desired, really it was just me using their naivety against them. When it came to bad luck they would become so paranoid and worried every little mistake would seem like a result of it. . They weren't so much superpowers, it was honestly just foresight and psychological manipulation (gosh I sound like a right sociopath), just my curious nature drawing me to strange things. I also loved reading books about science, one of them was about science and magic. I convinced my friends I could move a magnet with my mind but really i was just pulling it along under the table and no one noticed. haha

Don't get me wrong, I sympathize with their dependence on gaming. I'm kind of consumed myself by The Witcher 3.

Nice powers by the way Kira :)

But your posts prove otherwise, you come across very narrow-minded and insensitive.

She's also demonstrated she has no desire to learn about Sikh History and thinks that she can be a part of the Khalsa and embrace the caste System.

A while ago I was criticizing the notion that the elderly ought be thought of as wise because of their decrepitude. I've been considering the other age demographics and I think the notions surrounding children are just as rife with misrepresentations and fantasies as those hovering around their grandparents. I'll admit to some apprehension here, knowing that a lot of people here are probably parents, and how defensive parents can be where their offspring are concerned.

I've noticed that a lot of parents are totally delusional about the extent of their childrens' intelligence or ability. A lot of simpering mothers have boasted to me about the fact that their sprog is capable of buttoning his own overalls at the age of 12 months, and that this is clearly the rudiment of some embryonic genius which will probably manifest itself in later years as a cure for cancer. I can't be the only one who is totally unimpressed and unmoved by this, can I? If a child was writing symphonies aged five like Beethoven was then I'd be the first to concede their potential, but something as innocuous as tying one's shoelaces, irrespective of age, is never impressive and shouldn't elicit such praise. Children also receive ovation for the potency of their imaginations, which has always been confusing. When George R.R Martin or Hillary Mantel are weaving together intricate and original universes full of complex political intrigue and subtly rendered characters, I don't see why a slobbering juvenile receives such adulation for drawing a lion in rollerskates, as though such a concept would be inconceivable to anyone else.

There’s also the idea that children are pure and innocent, little angels and little darlings as yet unschooled in the ruthlessness of the world. It's strange to think that people who were once children themselves can entertain such saccharine naivety. The primary school playground operates under a system of politics similar to the one prevalent in high-school corridors, albeit more simplified. One might even call it more animalstic/unevolved. All the features of the latter find an expression in the former, the exclusive cliques, the ostracized outcasts sitting alone in some well-shadowed spot, violence, bullying, et cetera. Children simply are not more attuned to morality. Our ideas of right and wrong are accretions from the societies we inhabit, from the figures whom we consider to be authorities. A child will never stop stealing biscuits if nobody tells them that it is wrong. Children seem to me to be far more susceptible to wrongdoing because societal ethics haven't really had enough time to make an impression upon them.

I'd be interested to hear the sangat's thoughts on the subject.

Wow. What a brilliantly written post Balkaar.

What I will add though, is that you obviously don't have children. You will definately change once you do.

Although...actually...thinking about it, perhaps you do because I have children of my own but I absolutely can't stand other people's children. As far as I'm concerned none of them are as good as mine. So yes, I wouldn't be too impressed if someone else's child could button up his own overalls at the age of 12 months but would be very proud if it was my child that could do so at that age because it is actually quite impressive. As it happens, all mine could do at that age was vomit and poo. Usually on my work shirt.

Actually I tell a lie. They probably did a lot more but the fact is that they're extremely boring at that age and less. Dads usually only become super involved and hands on from about 15 months plus because then they actually become interesting and fun.