Children - Overrated?

Balkaar

Good points, children can definitely become very intelligent if they wish to be because information is so accessible. But it seems that most of them are simply content to exist as miniature lobotomites and p155 away their formative years playing xbox.

Lol, what was the nature of your superpower?

I suspect jedi mindtricks...

I'm single and childless right now, but I do look forward to being a father one day. I've no doubt that I will adore my future kids, and that I'll retain my distaste for those of them who aren't loosed from my own loins.

and we'll be hearing how they terrified their peers and did mindtricks to their heart's delight too ?

and we'll be hearing how they terrified their peers and did mindtricks to their heart's delight too ?

'Mindtricks'? It was a childish prank, why do you have to make it sound so very sinister? Children play these sorts of tricks on one another all the time, it isn't abnormal, mine just happened to be much, much better than the ones my chums pulled.

'Mindtricks'? It was a childish prank, why do you have to make it sound so very sinister? Children play these sorts of tricks on one another all the time, it isn't abnormal, mine just happened to be much, much better than the ones my chums pulled.

well didn't you say you scared your peers silly ?...anyhows I think perhaps your sense of humour got left behind .... kids can be brilliant incisive truthfull anf fearless ...remember after all they are just trainee adults , sure you get the odd psycho but generally the parents get what is assigned by Akal Purakh and just get on with it.No helicopter parent is not me but, i would like to know that the kids know the truth of the world instead of the brainwashing media's portrayal of everything. That is after all the duty of a parent according to gurbani. When they are little they are just sponges of everything so it's a good opportunity to learn to watch your own thought processes , words and actions and do vicharna

well didn't you say you scared your peers silly ?...anyhows I think perhaps your sense of humour got left behind ...

You can interpret that in one of two ways. You can continue to believe that I'm unperceptive and bereft of a sense of humor, which I won't begrudge you, or you can consider its alternative, namely that your sarcasm is so perfect and finely tuned that it manages to go completely undetected.

But yeah, if my kids take after me as I did my father, who himself invented phantoms with which to terrify his friends, I expect they'll do the same. And they'll be continuing a kind of family tradition.

No helicopter parent is not me but, i would like to know that the kids know the truth of the world instead of the brainwashing media's portrayal of everything.

I agree, and there'll probably come a time when it will be incumbent on me to download all my thoughts and opinions onto their pristine little hard drives. I sometimes wonder whether I'll have to bid farewell to my cherished cynicism in preparation for this contingency.

I agree, and there'll probably come a time when it will be incumbent on me to download all my thoughts and opinions onto their pristine little hard drives. I sometimes wonder whether I'll have to bid farewell to my cherished cynicism in preparation for this contingency.

Don't get all on broody on me. It's never a good thing to lose a soldier to the horrors of domesticity. ;)

buddasingh, on 05 Jul 2015 - 14:39, said:

I have noticed greater deviance among young punjabi boys than mainstream boys. I don't recall girls being an issue with behaviors. It's possible part of it may be due to immigrant life style of two parents working long hours. However, it seemed to be right across the board including boys from well to do families. The deviance at those ages was not serious but in my view some types can be a precursor to greater trouble later.

Have you any theories about why this deviant behaviour exists?

My apologies for a delayed response. I have thoughts more than theories. Ultimately I suggest it is the collective failure of adult of all backgrounds. Personal responsibility also lies among all of us who silently support by not having the courage to speak against a world that chases material wealth through lies and stepping on others. We don’t have to protest on a stage, but unless we do something to make those around us uncomfortable, we are probably supporting a society built by and for liars and bullies. In that society many children will be vulnerable.

A contributor, scoping out for a moment, might be that generations ago “white” racism under the banner of Christians saving ‘savages’ with the modus operandi being pillaging, raping, and murdering, actually created impoverished societies that were robbed of civilized living including India. This could equally apply to any group set out to save and convert others based on their own conviction.

Another contributor may be that punjabi’s are really no different than large amounts of Indians and have learned to value getting an advantage at all costs, void of ethical consideration. If parents are lying, stealing, fraudulent (including the polished smile punjabi professional), what are they going to teach their kids? If we’re going to have the mentality of a gangster, but carry business cards, we should not be surprised if our kids then honor dads ethics and decide it's a better business decision to deal drugs and carry a gun than wear a suit.

The deviance is not difficult to see among huge segments of the adult punjabi community. Social ethics, societal consideration are completely lost on many punjabis as well as Indians. Even those with higher education and professional degrees remain hillbillies who seem to need to return to grade school for lessons in basic human considerations.

Another theory of contribution goes back to modern day mainstream/white/west. Ethics comes easy when they’ve set the rules and institutions to continue colonial privilege. Where the institution is rigged for the deviant privileged, the deviant seems civilized. The racist who calls the minority a name is possibly a threat. But the real gig is the polished deviant. The politicians, professors, doctors, lawyers and professionals and their entitled attitudes that remain a virus that is intent on maintaining a stranglehold on privilege. We know their silent talk better than they do. A societal divide remains between societies and cultures that live to thrive and those that live to survive. Which children are going to have less behavioral issues?

So my theory is that deviant behavior in children arises from deviant adults from all backgrounds. The former should be understood, the latter stomped out. The responsibility and blame lies with not ‘the other’ but each one of us to do more to care for our neighbors whether they be across the street or across the globe.

Buddasingh Ji, your words and the work you do are inspiring. It reminds me that words alone mean nothing, but it's actions that are the most important. Must try harder.

Thanks for your kind feedback bro but I have to clarify. I rather be silent on the point, but that would be taking undue credit. I’m not certain what you are referring to but I did not mean to suggest I do any particular kind of work or seva. I've done paid work as well as volunteered with children in various capacities. The latter is nothing more than what the average person might do in self interested building their own c.v. So I'm in the same boat. Must try harder for me also.