Drugs - God Help Punjab

Many of you would have seen these videos before but I saw them for the first time a few days ago and I don't mind telling you that they have played on mind ever since, leaving me feeling unbelievably sad.

On many previous occassions when people here have started threads about the drugs situation I have been very critical of the fact that Punjab counts things such as a 'beer' and 'cough syrup' as drugs. I stand by that criticism because what we can clearly see from the videos below is that the masses there do not see any difference between a beer and heroin, a glass of wine and Ice, a cough syrup and cocaine. The official Punjab anti-drugs campaign doesn't help either. They're slogan is 'Stop doing Drugs.....They are Injurious to Health'. Injurious to health ? :omg: My word that is the understatement of the century. These drugs that are now spreading through the people of Punjab like wildfire ane not just injurious to health they are destroyers of lives and whole societies. Now think about it, the only people we here in the west see smoking heroin are those decrepit junkies who are at the very bottom of society, usually dirty homeless bums.

I listed to katha from a baba, I forget his name, last year at Park Avenue Gurdwara, and he was telling the sangat how now in Punjab the boys and girls had also become addicted to the next thing sweeping across Punjab. He said it is called 'chita' in Punjab. I didn't think any more of it but one of the videos below clarifies that it is in fact cocaine and it, along with crack cocaine, is now widely available and mainstream in Punjab.

We here in western Europe with our high population in tightly packed urban areas have largely been spared the scourge of methamphetamine (ice), but our friends in America, Canada and Australia (with their large open spaces needed to cook the drug) will tell you of the sheer devastation, both physical and social, it has brought. I have been told by many people that Punjabis from America and Canada have been using their rural family farmhouses in Punjab to both cook and distribute ice across Punjab and now it too is spreading like wildfire out there.

I dispair. I truly do. When our girls and our dastar wearing long bearded babas are like this...what hope for our boys ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzkzR1_8Jtw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YShZpCZOPxw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOzAA0KESBA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viaT5iqN7nE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_X11WZ_YQw

We (in the west) are not and never will be in as bad a situation as Punjab but we should also not forget that things are not that rosy here too, especially our den of inequity: Southall.

In a lot ways this thread, and the reaction to it, can sum up why we've reached the terrible stage we have reached.

It is clear that, in our community, chasing the dragon is seen as no more worse than taking a puff on a cigarette or cutting your hair. All three are seen as 'bad' on an equal level so the one that is quite rightly seen as the worst of the worst throughout the whole of earth doesn't have the same stigma among Punjabis. So much so, that you can even imagine the video of the girls shooting lines of cocaine up their noses not getting into too much trouble with their mums and dads because at least they wern't smoking a cigarette.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxBSc8Nd19Q

Now compare the Indian Jatti's above with the Pakistani Jatti below.

And this is why a lot of Sikh guys prefer Muslim girls nowadays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9yNyFWHdeU

Where did you get this non sense from? sunshine.

LOL were you on something when you wrote that "And this is why a lot of Sikh guys prefer Muslim girls nowadays."

Never knew things were this bad. I appreciated youth from poorer families were drawn to drugs for various reasons, but girls and those from affluent households too? I'm genuinely disturbed.

Would I be incredibly short-sighted to say that an element of personal responsibility comes into play too? Please, anyone correct me if I'm wrong. I mean, outside the home I grew up in a very rough area where there was drugs, gang violence, basically standard English inner-city living.

Throughout secondary school there was constant pressure to spark up, start drinking, do cannabis, and even try some of the harder stuff. But I resisted. It may have meant I wasn't friends with many people, but I also received a kind of begrudging respect for not faltering from my principles. As such, nobody came to me and rammed ganja down my throat or jabbed a needle in my arm. It was ultimately my choice.

Like I said, am I wrong in saying the individual always has a choice to not do - or do - these activities? Or when it comes to Punjab is the issue a lot more complex?