Which Is A Better Job For A Spiritual Lifestyle?

Would you like to be introduced to a Singh who can listen to three different recordings (katha, santhiya, and akhand paath) at the same time? He listens to all three at the same time and is holding a conversation with singhs.

That Singh should be top notch in whatever profession he is then.

I write software code for 6-8 hours a day and I try to do simran but its not just possible. I feel software job is a torture for someone who wants to meditate on Akaal Purakh.

I am sorry to hear that your finding it difficult. Maybe I could help because I have had to learn time management skills due to my job being so hectic and often unpredictable. So if you follow the Sikh code of conduct there are 5 daily nitnems. There are 3 in the morning and 1 in the evening and 1 in the night. Everyone reads these at different speeds with varying levels of understanding. I've been doing them since childhood so my understanding is going to be automatically deeper and my speed faster. But that doesn't matter because you will reach there too. For now lets pretend its your first time. In that case I would advise using youtube videos from RajKaregaKhalsas channel to plan out how many minutes you need in your day and initially just listen to the videos and slowly work up towards 'sing along' to the videos.

It might be a good idea to download them onto your iPad/iphone. So;

Total for morning = 39.24 minutes

1. Jaap sahib - 16:50 mins

2. Japji Sahib - 19:51mins

3. Tav Prasad Savaiye - 3:23mins

Evening = 22.15 minutes

4. Rehraas Sahib - 22.15mins

Night = 5.33minutes

5. Kirtan Shoila - 5:33mins

Now if your looking at your day and there is no time - then you need combine - morning time required = 39.24 minutes. Most people take this long getting ready in the morning. So for those who have no time in the morning you can play the videos on youtube whilst you get ready and sing along. I always do one prayer when I have my morning ishnaan or shower which I have timed to have at amritvela, then the others I do whilst getting ready i.e. combing hair, tying turban etc. I know some people who do bani 'sing along' whilst travelling to work. Most people should be able to get at least one prayer in the morning completed when they have a shower or ishnaan in my opinion - don't worry if you initially don't shower at amritvela - just do it when you have a shower and then later on you can work out the amritvela shower timings etc

So Rehraas Sahib I do in the evening. I do 2 things when I come back from work - I have a shower again and I cook food. If I am busy I will combine evening shower to fall at sunset and do it with rehraas sahib. Or you can combine with cooking because its like how in the gurdwara cooking is done whilst doing prayers. If your busy there must be an activity in the evening where for 22.15minutes you can fit this in. Again play the youtube video and you can 'sing along'. Again initially don't worry about timings - all timings can be sorted out later.

Then just before bed I comb my hair again and you can combine kirtan sohila with this activity. I usual prefer doing kirtan sohila sitting down because its the end of a long day and I want to relax and reflect. But either way 5:33 minutes is very short and in my opinion every sikh should be able to do kirtan sohila at the very least because its only 5 minutes and there is no recommended timing - its whenever you go to sleep.

At work its completely different as I do these crazy hours but I've worked out a system on the different days. But for people who have fixed 9am to 5pm jobs maybe try combining it into your normal daily routine and have the videos playing when you get ready in the morning and sing along and see whether its easier.

I just want to add that if you don't know meanings then you will have to take time out on perhaps weekends to understand and do santhiya etc because understanding the words is why we have different prayers and thats why they are done at different times because they fit in with the types of activities happening at that time of the day. But, remember everyone starts somewhere and when I was a child my mum used to do her bani out loud and after a few months I picked it up with no teaching because I had heard it so many times. Similarly the youtube videos can do that for you. I did not known the meanings but later on as i grew up I learnt the meanings.

IN summary if your starting out play the videos in your normal routine - even if you don't know the words - just play the different banis during ishnaan, getting ready, cooking evening meal, 5 minutes before bed. After a few months you will start to remember the words of the bani and then you will slowly know all 5 banis without actually making any major effort. Once you know all 5, or before that if you have time, try to learn the meanings. In my opinion its not worth learning the meanings right from the beginning as there is too much to take on but some people may be able to do that.

Also once you get into the routine of things you will realise that you don't need so much time because its like a recap or reminder and the thoughts are already there in your unconsciousness. I also want to add that you can fit it into amritvela and I have not gone into how because this requires more individual planning and knowing the window of opportunity. If anyone has specific questions about that please PM me. In my opinion when your starting out you just need to start somewhere and if you can fit in 5 banis in your normal routine - later on you can workout the sunrise, sunset timings and windows of opportunities etc.

I hope that helps.

Would you like to be introduced to a Singh who can listen to three different recordings (katha, santhiya, and akhand paath) at the same time? He listens to all three at the same time and is holding a conversation with singhs.

Sorry I don't understand this at all.....I have never listened to three different recordings. Not sure what the rationale behind doing that is.

I am sorry to hear that your finding it difficult. Maybe I could help because I have had to learn time management skills due to my job being so hectic and often unpredictable. So if you follow the Sikh code of conduct there are 5 daily nitnems. There are 3 in the morning and 1 in the evening and 1 in the night. Everyone reads these at different speeds with varying levels of understanding. I've been doing them since childhood so my understanding is going to be automatically deeper and my speed faster. But that doesn't matter because you will reach there too. For now lets pretend its your first time. In that case I would advise using youtube videos from RajKaregaKhalsas channel to plan out how many minutes you need in your day and initially just listen to the videos and slowly work up towards 'sing along' to the videos.

It might be a good idea to download them onto your iPad/iphone. So;

Total for morning = 39.24 minutes

1. Jaap sahib - 16:50 mins

2. Japji Sahib - 19:51mins

3. Tav Prasad Savaiye - 3:23mins

Evening = 22.15 minutes

4. Rehraas Sahib - 22.15mins

Night = 5.33minutes

5. Kirtan Shoila - 5:33mins

There are five in the morning:

Japji Sahib
Jaap Sahib
Tav-Prasad Savaiye
Benti Chaupai
Anand Sahib

There are five in the morning:

Japji Sahib
Jaap Sahib
Tav-Prasad Savaiye
Benti Chaupai
Anand Sahib

As far as I am aware there are various thoughts on the compulsory nature of the other two - its like how some people throw in Asa Di Vaar as a morning prayer too - which it is but its not compulsory unless your in certain circles. As far as I am aware according to the Sikh Code of Conduct there are only 5 compulsory banis. If people want to add the others then you follow the same method and time can be generated to do those too.

You had said this:

So i asked you, are you willing to meet a singh who can listen to three different recordings at the same time and be actually listening to all three while having a conversation with others. This shows the ability of Sikhs is not bound to what you perceive the limit to be. Sant Jarnail Singh ji, used to do 101 japji sahib a day. Add the hours up and 'logically' there is not enough time in the day to be working in the farms sleeping, eating, and doing nitmen. You and others can deny this fact.

Your inability or mine does not set the record to what a Sikh is capable of achieving. You have bound Grubbing and its Sikhs ability to the worlds limits. Yet Baba Deep Singh ability to fight without a head is a proven fact Gurbani and those sikhs who have made there life occupation to singing his praises are above the limits of the world. Breath mind is subject to death. In summary find a better yard stick to bound Sikhi too.

You used the word 24 hours naam abhiyaas....I said that making the naam a part of you for 24 hours is possible but to physically read for 24hours is not. Please explain what you mean by 24 hours naam abhiyaas if it is not reading for 24 hours....

In my opinion once you have learnt bani you can read it at any speed you want because its repetition and you already know every word that sometimes you can just hum. If someone told me that they can do so many paaths when they have been practising and repeating paaths all their lives then of course I will agree because I know you can do it in double, triple, quadruple, ten times the normal speed etc. It all depends on how many times you've done it before i.e. your experience. Thats why I said people get faster with banis when they do it more and more.

About the tape recording - If I knew 3 recordings inside out then I too could listen to them all and talk to people. What I don't understand is why would anyone want to do this - is the rationale to fit in more and more bani because I am sorry to say but its not a competition on who can do the most in the shortest amount of time.

Saheed Baba Deep Singh is a complete tangent comment. Please learn to stay within context.