Which Is A Better Job For A Spiritual Lifestyle?

One of my friends who was working as a software developer in Canada recently left his job and started driving a truck. He made friends with a punjabi truck driver and went with him on one of his trips. He liked it so much that he left his software job. He says that trucking is a much better job as you can listen to Gurbani kirtan while driving and you can also see the countryside.

Is trucking a better job than software for a person wanting a spiritual lifestyle?????

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gurus said naam jaapo (simran etc), and kirt karo (earn your work honestly). The two are separate. Sikhs are not supposed to choose a job that allows them to do maximum bani. God does not count the am

Perhaps that is your interpretation but from my understanding, Kirta Karo is: "Those who have meditated on the Naam, the Name of the Lord, and departed after having worked by the sweat of their brows

Guru Sahib was the King of Kings who cannot be compared to any human. So think before you write or it is too big a thing to expect from you?

My father has driven a truck and he listened to at least 15 hours of gurbani every single day. Even to this day he drives and he listens to gurbani and Kirtan on his trips. The job with the less hassle is the best for bhagti. In my opinion trucking is one of the jobs with not much hassle compared to software or doctor or lawyer etc. The mind has to be too focused on jobs like software, doctor, lawyer etc. As a trucker all you have to do is drive and listen to bani. A lot of time trucking makes more money than anything like software etc.

I vouch for trucking and I wouldn't mind if I become a trucker as well.

Eat healthily when trucking, and exercise when not trucking. Fast food bought from road-side vendors or cafes, etc, and sitting down for hours on end is not good for the waistline. All the Sikh truckers I've seen in Canada are approaching obesity or already there. Gotta be careful.

• Like 2

Sikhs have watered down what kirt means. Its not kirt karo but DHARM di kirt karo. Nothing is higher than doing simran (reading, singing, listening, and contemplating over Gurbani).

This times ten!!! All the time a person spends on learning to become a doctor or lawyer they could use that time for doing bhagti. Only bhagti is gonna save you in this world and in the next. Work a simple job which doesn't have the pressure of the world such as if a person is a lawyer there mindset is on defending their client. While he is defending the client god does not come into mind cause the brain is doing something else. I'm not saying somebody can't do bhagti with a job like doctor or lawyer but it is 20 times harder than being a trucker. It also shows how much is a person content in life. There are people who work at a fast food restaurant and are content and then there are doctors who need the whole world and are content with nothing.

Let's see.

Earnings as a trucker after 10 years experience = $50,000 and a majority of beer drinking Sangat to aid his spiritual development

Earnings as a software engineer after 10years experience = $200,000

A trucker cannot live off of 50,000 a year. There is no point whatsoever. Probably a driver makes 50 grand but an owner operator with his own truck etc make over 150,000 a year. I speak from personal experience. Also the sangat is dependant on the person. If a person likes beer then he will have beer drinking sangat but if he is more bhagti oriented then that person does not talk much with the bad sangat. My father is a trucker and makes more than 200,000 a year and listens to 15 hours of gurbani a day. Which is better now a software engineer who has to dedicate his mind to his field or a trucker who is just listening to gurbani?

If someone can be a doctor and still merge in simran. All the power to them. The part i objected to in your pist was you saying half of the work is done.... hence i stressed its dharm di kirt karo.

If somebody can do bhagti while being a doctor that's great but there are a few only who could do that.

My opinion is that I think a sikh should be ahead of everyone spiritually and worldly. I don't think sikhs should choose to be stupid in the world. If sikhs were to have their own land, we would all be living like cave men in your sense. You can use your intelligence to help the world and give a better lifestyle to future sikhs. Think very carefully about what decision you make, you could regret it as it wouldn't be as easy to change your career direction if you do decide to become a truck driver.

And which school did Sri guru ram das Ji maharaj go to? What schools did big mahapurkhs such as baba nand Singh go to? None! Gurbani says that worldly affairs is what diverts a person from their bhagti.

ਮਃ ੩ ॥ मः ३ ॥ Mėhlā 3. Third Mehl:

ਮਾਇਆ ਮੋਹਿ ਵਿਸਾਰਿਆ ਸਚੁ ਮਰਣਾ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ॥ माइआ मोहि विसारिआ सचु मरणा हरि नामु ॥ Mā▫i▫ā mohi visāri▫ā sacẖ marṇā har nām. Emotionally attached to Maya, the mortal forgets truth, death and the Name of the Lord.

ਧੰਧਾ ਕਰਤਿਆ ਜਨਮੁ ਗਇਆ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਦੁਖੁ ਸਹਾਮੁ ॥ धंधा करतिआ जनमु गइआ अंदरि दुखु सहामु ॥ Ḏẖanḏẖā karṯi▫ā janam ga▫i▫ā anḏar ḏukẖ sahām. Engaged in worldly affairs, his life wastes away; deep within himself, he suffers in pain.

ਨਾਨਕ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਸੇਵਿ ਸੁਖੁ ਪਾਇਆ ਜਿਨ੍ਹ੍ਹ ਪੂਰਬਿ ਲਿਖਿਆ ਕਰਾਮੁ ॥੨॥ नानक सतिगुरु सेवि सुखु पाइआ जिन्ह पूरबि लिखिआ करामु ॥२॥ Nānak saṯgur sev sukẖ pā▫i▫ā jinĥ pūrab likẖi▫ā karām. ||2|| O Nanak, those who have the karma of such pre-ordained destiny, serve the True Guru and find peace. ||2||

Ang 1248

ਧੰਧਾ ਕਰਤਿਆ ਨਿਹਫਲੁ ਜਨਮੁ ਗਵਾਇਆ ਸੁਖਦਾਤਾ ਮਨਿ ਨ ਵਸਾਇਆ ॥ धंधा करतिआ निहफलु जनमु गवाइआ सुखदाता मनि न वसाइआ ॥ Ḏẖanḏẖā karṯi▫ā nihfal janam gavā▫i▫ā sukẖ▫ḏāṯa man na vasā▫i▫ā. Involved in worldly affairs, he wastes his life in vain; the peace-giving Lord does not come to abide in his mind.

ਨਾਨਕ ਨਾਮੁ ਤਿਨਾ ਕਉ ਮਿਲਿਆ ਜਿਨ ਕਉ ਧੁਰਿ ਲਿਖਿ ਪਾਇਆ ॥੧॥ नानक नामु तिना कउ मिलिआ जिन कउ धुरि लिखि पाइआ ॥१॥ Nānak nām ṯinā ka▫o mili▫ā jin ka▫o ḏẖur likẖ pā▫i▫ā. ||1|| O Nanak, they alone obtain the Name, who have such pre-ordained destiny. ||1||

Ang 644

ਕਬੀਰ ਹਰਿ ਕਾ ਸਿਮਰਨੁ ਛਾਡਿ ਕੈ ਪਾਲਿਓ ਬਹੁਤੁ ਕੁਟੰਬੁ ॥ कबीर हरि का सिमरनु छाडि कै पालिओ बहुतु कुट्मबु ॥ Kabīr har kā simran cẖẖād kai pāli▫o bahuṯ kutamb. Kabeer, you have given up meditating on the Lord, and you have raised a large family.

ਧੰਧਾ ਕਰਤਾ ਰਹਿ ਗਇਆ ਭਾਈ ਰਹਿਆ ਨ ਬੰਧੁ ॥੧੦੬॥ धंधा करता रहि गइआ भाई रहिआ न बंधु ॥१०६॥ Ḏẖanḏẖā karṯā rėh ga▫i▫ā bẖā▫ī rahi▫ā na banḏẖ. ||106|| You continue to involve yourself in worldly affairs, but none of your brothers and relatives remain. ||106||

Ang 1370

ਧੰਧੈ ਕੂੜਿ ਵਿਆਪਿਆ ਜਮ ਪੁਰਿ ਚੋਟਾ ਖਾਇ ॥੩॥ धंधै कूड़ि विआपिआ जम पुरि चोटा खाइ ॥३॥ Ḏẖanḏẖai kūṛ vi▫āpi▫ā jam pur cẖotā kẖā▫e. ||3|| He is engrossed in false pursuits; he shall endure beatings in the City of Death. ||3||

ਨਾਨਕ ਸਭੁ ਕਿਛੁ ਆਪੇ ਆਪਿ ਹੈ ਦੂਜਾ ਨਾਹੀ ਕੋਇ ॥ नानक सभु किछु आपे आपि है दूजा नाही कोइ ॥ Nānak sabẖ kicẖẖ āpe āp hai ḏūjā nāhī ko▫e. O Nanak, God Himself is all-in-all. There is no other at all.

Ang 994

ਸਲੋਕੁ ਮਃ ੩ ॥ सलोकु मः ३ ॥ Salok mėhlā 3. Shalok, Third Mehl:

ਪੜਣਾ ਗੁੜਣਾ ਸੰਸਾਰ ਕੀ ਕਾਰ ਹੈ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਤ੍ਰਿਸਨਾ ਵਿਕਾਰੁ ॥ पड़णा गुड़णा संसार की कार है अंदरि त्रिसना विकारु ॥ Paṛ▫ṇā guṛ▫ṇā sansār kī kār hai anḏar ṯarisnā vikār. Reading and studying are just worldly pursuits, if there is thirst and corruption within.

ਹਉਮੈ ਵਿਚਿ ਸਭਿ ਪੜਿ ਥਕੇ ਦੂਜੈ ਭਾਇ ਖੁਆਰੁ ॥ हउमै विचि सभि पड़ि थके दूजै भाइ खुआरु ॥ Ha▫umai vicẖ sabẖ paṛ thake ḏūjai bẖā▫e kẖu▫ār. Reading in egotism, all have grown weary; through the love of duality, they are ruined.

ਸੋ ਪੜਿਆ ਸੋ ਪੰਡਿਤੁ ਬੀਨਾ ਗੁਰ ਸਬਦਿ ਕਰੇ ਵੀਚਾਰੁ ॥ सो पड़िआ सो पंडितु बीना गुर सबदि करे वीचारु ॥ So paṛi▫ā so pandiṯ bīnā gur sabaḏ kare vīcẖār. He alone is educated, and he alone is a wise Pandit, who contemplates the Word of the Guru's Shabad.

ਅੰਦਰੁ ਖੋਜੈ ਤਤੁ ਲਹੈ ਪਾਏ ਮੋਖ ਦੁਆਰੁ ॥ अंदरु खोजै ततु लहै पाए मोख दुआरु ॥ Anḏar kẖojai ṯaṯ lahai pā▫e mokẖ ḏu▫ār. He searches within himself, and finds the true essence; he finds the Door of Salvation.

ਗੁਣ ਨਿਧਾਨੁ ਹਰਿ ਪਾਇਆ ਸਹਜਿ ਕਰੇ ਵੀਚਾਰੁ ॥ गुण निधानु हरि पाइआ सहजि करे वीचारु ॥ Guṇ niḏẖān har pā▫i▫ā sahj kare vīcẖār. He finds the Lord, the treasure of excellence, and peacefully contemplates Him.

ਧੰਨੁ ਵਾਪਾਰੀ ਨਾਨਕਾ ਜਿਸੁ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਅਧਾਰੁ ॥੧॥ धंनु वापारी नानका जिसु गुरमुखि नामु अधारु ॥१॥ Ḏẖan vāpārī nānkā jis gurmukẖ nām aḏẖār. ||1|| Blessed is the trader, O Nanak, who, as Gurmukh, takes the Name as his only Support. ||1||

Ang 650

ਸੁਣਿ ਪਾਡੇ ਕਿਆ ਲਿਖਹੁ ਜੰਜਾਲਾ ॥ सुणि पाडे किआ लिखहु जंजाला ॥ Suṇ pāde ki▫ā likẖahu janjālā. Listen, O Pandit, O religious scholar, why are you writing about worldly debates?

ਲਿਖੁ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਗੋਪਾਲਾ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ लिखु राम नाम गुरमुखि गोपाला ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥ Likẖ rām nām gurmukẖ gopālā. ||1|| rahā▫o. As Gurmukh, write only the Name of the Lord, the Lord of the World. ||1||Pause||

Ang 930

Any type of work we do takes us away from the naam but we still have to work. So why not do a work that does not tale away from bhagti too much?

I have a challenge for everybody here. The challenge is go do all your studying etc and become doctors, lawyers, engineers etc but don't do it for the maya. Don't have the maya(the dollar sign) in your mind while studying and then let's see if anybody will want to study. Don't earn a penny from your work then we will see if becoming doctors or lawyers is such a big high padvi that our community gives it.

Becoming a doctor etc is also a tool for hankaar to creep in. I remember my teacher used to tell us that study so you can walk with your head high etc so in other words just add more fuel to your ego. These things are becoming the new caste system. A jatt family will not marry another jatt if the other family's child is not educated university level etc. A university level khatri, jatt, tarkhan etc is only gonna marry somebody who is university level etc. They will never ever think of marrying a middle class person who only did high school. This is the new type of hierarchy.

I have a challenge for everybody here. The challenge is go do all your studying etc and become doctors, lawyers, engineers etc but don't do it for the maya. Don't have the maya (the dollar sign) in your mind while studying and then let's see if anybody will want to study. Don't earn a penny from your work then we will see if becoming doctors or lawyers is such a big high padvi that our community gives it.

Becoming a doctor etc is also a tool for hankaar to creep in. I remember my teacher used to tell us that study so you can walk with your head high etc so in other words just add more fuel to your ego. These things are becoming the new caste system. A jatt family will not marry another jatt if the other family's child is not educated university level etc. A university level khatri, jatt, tarkhan etc is only gonna marry somebody who is university level etc. They will never ever think of marrying a middle class person who only did high school. This is the new type of hierarchy.

Singh Ji, as far as I'm concerned you've nailed it with the above observations. Your "new caste system" theory is also first-class.

I'm not knocking education though, but rarely do we learn anything for the love of discovery and self-improvement; it's almost always a means to an end. I'd be mad to say we don't need doctors or technically minded people in those professions, but as you said, the pursuit of those jobs are mostly for increasing wealth and status, particularly amongst our people for whom wealth and status are considered to be the holiest of holies.

• Like 1