Which Is A Better Job For A Spiritual Lifestyle?

My opinion is that I think a sikh should be ahead of everyone spiritually and worldly. I don't think sikhs should choose to be stupid in the world. If sikhs were to have their own land, we would all be living like cave men in your sense. You can use your intelligence to help the world and give a better lifestyle to future sikhs. Think very carefully about what decision you make, you could regret it as it wouldn't be as easy to change your career direction if you do decide to become a truck driver.

And which school did Sri guru ram das Ji maharaj go to? What schools did big mahapurkhs such as baba nand Singh go to? None! Gurbani says that worldly affairs is what diverts a person from their bhagti.

ਮਃ ੩ ॥ मः ३ ॥ Mėhlā 3. Third Mehl:

ਮਾਇਆ ਮੋਹਿ ਵਿਸਾਰਿਆ ਸਚੁ ਮਰਣਾ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ॥ माइआ मोहि विसारिआ सचु मरणा हरि नामु ॥ Mā▫i▫ā mohi visāri▫ā sacẖ marṇā har nām. Emotionally attached to Maya, the mortal forgets truth, death and the Name of the Lord.

ਧੰਧਾ ਕਰਤਿਆ ਜਨਮੁ ਗਇਆ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਦੁਖੁ ਸਹਾਮੁ ॥ धंधा करतिआ जनमु गइआ अंदरि दुखु सहामु ॥ Ḏẖanḏẖā karṯi▫ā janam ga▫i▫ā anḏar ḏukẖ sahām. Engaged in worldly affairs, his life wastes away; deep within himself, he suffers in pain.

ਨਾਨਕ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਸੇਵਿ ਸੁਖੁ ਪਾਇਆ ਜਿਨ੍ਹ੍ਹ ਪੂਰਬਿ ਲਿਖਿਆ ਕਰਾਮੁ ॥੨॥ नानक सतिगुरु सेवि सुखु पाइआ जिन्ह पूरबि लिखिआ करामु ॥२॥ Nānak saṯgur sev sukẖ pā▫i▫ā jinĥ pūrab likẖi▫ā karām. ||2|| O Nanak, those who have the karma of such pre-ordained destiny, serve the True Guru and find peace. ||2||

Ang 1248

ਧੰਧਾ ਕਰਤਿਆ ਨਿਹਫਲੁ ਜਨਮੁ ਗਵਾਇਆ ਸੁਖਦਾਤਾ ਮਨਿ ਨ ਵਸਾਇਆ ॥ धंधा करतिआ निहफलु जनमु गवाइआ सुखदाता मनि न वसाइआ ॥ Ḏẖanḏẖā karṯi▫ā nihfal janam gavā▫i▫ā sukẖ▫ḏāṯa man na vasā▫i▫ā. Involved in worldly affairs, he wastes his life in vain; the peace-giving Lord does not come to abide in his mind.

ਨਾਨਕ ਨਾਮੁ ਤਿਨਾ ਕਉ ਮਿਲਿਆ ਜਿਨ ਕਉ ਧੁਰਿ ਲਿਖਿ ਪਾਇਆ ॥੧॥ नानक नामु तिना कउ मिलिआ जिन कउ धुरि लिखि पाइआ ॥१॥ Nānak nām ṯinā ka▫o mili▫ā jin ka▫o ḏẖur likẖ pā▫i▫ā. ||1|| O Nanak, they alone obtain the Name, who have such pre-ordained destiny. ||1||

Ang 644

ਕਬੀਰ ਹਰਿ ਕਾ ਸਿਮਰਨੁ ਛਾਡਿ ਕੈ ਪਾਲਿਓ ਬਹੁਤੁ ਕੁਟੰਬੁ ॥ कबीर हरि का सिमरनु छाडि कै पालिओ बहुतु कुट्मबु ॥ Kabīr har kā simran cẖẖād kai pāli▫o bahuṯ kutamb. Kabeer, you have given up meditating on the Lord, and you have raised a large family.

ਧੰਧਾ ਕਰਤਾ ਰਹਿ ਗਇਆ ਭਾਈ ਰਹਿਆ ਨ ਬੰਧੁ ॥੧੦੬॥ धंधा करता रहि गइआ भाई रहिआ न बंधु ॥१०६॥ Ḏẖanḏẖā karṯā rėh ga▫i▫ā bẖā▫ī rahi▫ā na banḏẖ. ||106|| You continue to involve yourself in worldly affairs, but none of your brothers and relatives remain. ||106||

Ang 1370

ਧੰਧੈ ਕੂੜਿ ਵਿਆਪਿਆ ਜਮ ਪੁਰਿ ਚੋਟਾ ਖਾਇ ॥੩॥ धंधै कूड़ि विआपिआ जम पुरि चोटा खाइ ॥३॥ Ḏẖanḏẖai kūṛ vi▫āpi▫ā jam pur cẖotā kẖā▫e. ||3|| He is engrossed in false pursuits; he shall endure beatings in the City of Death. ||3||

ਨਾਨਕ ਸਭੁ ਕਿਛੁ ਆਪੇ ਆਪਿ ਹੈ ਦੂਜਾ ਨਾਹੀ ਕੋਇ ॥ नानक सभु किछु आपे आपि है दूजा नाही कोइ ॥ Nānak sabẖ kicẖẖ āpe āp hai ḏūjā nāhī ko▫e. O Nanak, God Himself is all-in-all. There is no other at all.

Ang 994

ਸਲੋਕੁ ਮਃ ੩ ॥ सलोकु मः ३ ॥ Salok mėhlā 3. Shalok, Third Mehl:

ਪੜਣਾ ਗੁੜਣਾ ਸੰਸਾਰ ਕੀ ਕਾਰ ਹੈ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਤ੍ਰਿਸਨਾ ਵਿਕਾਰੁ ॥ पड़णा गुड़णा संसार की कार है अंदरि त्रिसना विकारु ॥ Paṛ▫ṇā guṛ▫ṇā sansār kī kār hai anḏar ṯarisnā vikār. Reading and studying are just worldly pursuits, if there is thirst and corruption within.

ਹਉਮੈ ਵਿਚਿ ਸਭਿ ਪੜਿ ਥਕੇ ਦੂਜੈ ਭਾਇ ਖੁਆਰੁ ॥ हउमै विचि सभि पड़ि थके दूजै भाइ खुआरु ॥ Ha▫umai vicẖ sabẖ paṛ thake ḏūjai bẖā▫e kẖu▫ār. Reading in egotism, all have grown weary; through the love of duality, they are ruined.

ਸੋ ਪੜਿਆ ਸੋ ਪੰਡਿਤੁ ਬੀਨਾ ਗੁਰ ਸਬਦਿ ਕਰੇ ਵੀਚਾਰੁ ॥ सो पड़िआ सो पंडितु बीना गुर सबदि करे वीचारु ॥ So paṛi▫ā so pandiṯ bīnā gur sabaḏ kare vīcẖār. He alone is educated, and he alone is a wise Pandit, who contemplates the Word of the Guru's Shabad.

ਅੰਦਰੁ ਖੋਜੈ ਤਤੁ ਲਹੈ ਪਾਏ ਮੋਖ ਦੁਆਰੁ ॥ अंदरु खोजै ततु लहै पाए मोख दुआरु ॥ Anḏar kẖojai ṯaṯ lahai pā▫e mokẖ ḏu▫ār. He searches within himself, and finds the true essence; he finds the Door of Salvation.

ਗੁਣ ਨਿਧਾਨੁ ਹਰਿ ਪਾਇਆ ਸਹਜਿ ਕਰੇ ਵੀਚਾਰੁ ॥ गुण निधानु हरि पाइआ सहजि करे वीचारु ॥ Guṇ niḏẖān har pā▫i▫ā sahj kare vīcẖār. He finds the Lord, the treasure of excellence, and peacefully contemplates Him.

ਧੰਨੁ ਵਾਪਾਰੀ ਨਾਨਕਾ ਜਿਸੁ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਅਧਾਰੁ ॥੧॥ धंनु वापारी नानका जिसु गुरमुखि नामु अधारु ॥१॥ Ḏẖan vāpārī nānkā jis gurmukẖ nām aḏẖār. ||1|| Blessed is the trader, O Nanak, who, as Gurmukh, takes the Name as his only Support. ||1||

Ang 650

ਸੁਣਿ ਪਾਡੇ ਕਿਆ ਲਿਖਹੁ ਜੰਜਾਲਾ ॥ सुणि पाडे किआ लिखहु जंजाला ॥ Suṇ pāde ki▫ā likẖahu janjālā. Listen, O Pandit, O religious scholar, why are you writing about worldly debates?

ਲਿਖੁ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਗੋਪਾਲਾ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ लिखु राम नाम गुरमुखि गोपाला ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥ Likẖ rām nām gurmukẖ gopālā. ||1|| rahā▫o. As Gurmukh, write only the Name of the Lord, the Lord of the World. ||1||Pause||

Ang 930

Any type of work we do takes us away from the naam but we still have to work. So why not do a work that does not tale away from bhagti too much?

I have a challenge for everybody here. The challenge is go do all your studying etc and become doctors, lawyers, engineers etc but don't do it for the maya. Don't have the maya(the dollar sign) in your mind while studying and then let's see if anybody will want to study. Don't earn a penny from your work then we will see if becoming doctors or lawyers is such a big high padvi that our community gives it.

Becoming a doctor etc is also a tool for hankaar to creep in. I remember my teacher used to tell us that study so you can walk with your head high etc so in other words just add more fuel to your ego. These things are becoming the new caste system. A jatt family will not marry another jatt if the other family's child is not educated university level etc. A university level khatri, jatt, tarkhan etc is only gonna marry somebody who is university level etc. They will never ever think of marrying a middle class person who only did high school. This is the new type of hierarchy.

I have a challenge for everybody here. The challenge is go do all your studying etc and become doctors, lawyers, engineers etc but don't do it for the maya. Don't have the maya (the dollar sign) in your mind while studying and then let's see if anybody will want to study. Don't earn a penny from your work then we will see if becoming doctors or lawyers is such a big high padvi that our community gives it.

Becoming a doctor etc is also a tool for hankaar to creep in. I remember my teacher used to tell us that study so you can walk with your head high etc so in other words just add more fuel to your ego. These things are becoming the new caste system. A jatt family will not marry another jatt if the other family's child is not educated university level etc. A university level khatri, jatt, tarkhan etc is only gonna marry somebody who is university level etc. They will never ever think of marrying a middle class person who only did high school. This is the new type of hierarchy.

Singh Ji, as far as I'm concerned you've nailed it with the above observations. Your "new caste system" theory is also first-class.

I'm not knocking education though, but rarely do we learn anything for the love of discovery and self-improvement; it's almost always a means to an end. I'd be mad to say we don't need doctors or technically minded people in those professions, but as you said, the pursuit of those jobs are mostly for increasing wealth and status, particularly amongst our people for whom wealth and status are considered to be the holiest of holies.

The Gurus were beyond intelligence and encouraged us to be educated. Of course sikhs can focus on their sikhi while working; you're assuming that all our time would be spent on studying and working.

Doctors, lawyers, engineers are all people that are needed in the world, you shouldn't be using your electronic devices or see your doctor when you are ill if you think all these occupations are pointless. Again, if sikhs were to have our own land, how would we contribute to the society? Would we be able to contribute if we were all truck drivers? You are relying on other people in the world when we sikhs should be ahead of everyone, and they instead should be coming to us.

Answer me this. Does Akaal purkh give a damn if a person is educated or not? Akaal purkh does not look at degrees or statuses but instead Akaal purkh looks at bhagti. How much bhagti did a person do. He does not care about education etc. Re read the tuks I have posted.

This society if all false. The society that we should be trying to contribute to is the society of saints. Everything in this world is false and the only true thing is naam. Why waste our time with educations that are false when we could be doing the only thing that is true which is naam? The answer is that we have to do kirt Kamai but do enough where a person is content with life.

Get smart by watching the news etc. Just cause a person has gone to university doesn't mean they are smart it just means they only know of their one small field.

Singh Ji, as far as I'm concerned you've nailed it with the above observations. Your "new caste system" theory is also first-class.

I'm not knocking education though, but rarely do we learn anything for the love of discovery and self-improvement; it's almost always a means to an end. I'd be mad to say we don't need doctors or technically minded people in those professions, but as you said, the pursuit of those jobs are mostly for increasing wealth and status, particularly amongst our people for whom wealth and status are considered to be the holiest of holies.

To tell you the truth if somebody was a doctor and took no money for it I would kiss their feet. I love doctors without borders cause they are not doing it for the money but to genuinely help people.

To tell you the truth if somebody was a doctor and took no money for it I would kiss their feet. I love doctors without borders cause they are not doing it for the money but to genuinely help people.

One thing I would say is be careful, because I completely understand your point of view, but a lazy kid could be reading and thinking, "Great! I don't have to work hard anymore!" Lol, you know some people just don't want to put the effort in, and they'll use God as a shield to deflect any criticism or justify their own lack of motivation. You aren't doing that from what I can deduce, but a cynical individual might be getting ideas to chill out whilst pretending to be a Baba or something.

Also, I believe if one has been blessed with an aptitude for education or the like, the fruits of those labours should be channelled not for filling one's pockets and social climbing, but for the good of your fellow man. All too often we humans cannot see beyond our own lives or the lives of our loved ones. Rarely, if ever, does our empathy extend to those who aren't related to us or those we don't personally know. It is a cruel world with occasionally dangerous people that should be avoided for various reasons, but most people are just like us; trying to make sense of it all and just wanting to see some kindness and understanding.