Wannabe Sikhs And Punjabis

wjkk wjkf

This is my first post. I am chanan singh from Delhi.

My question is regarding the wannabe sikhs and punjabis that I see everyday. It really makes me sick.

Everyday in Delhi/India we can see Biharis/UPites who listen to punjabi music, the grow trimmed beards and try to talk in punjabi and sound foolish. They do not understand sikhi nor do they follow sikhism. They are all about spitting paan. Most of them visit gurudwara for selfie pics.

What to do about them? How can I stop being irritated by these kinds?

Is it a bad thing that punjabi culture/lifestyle/music and movies have become mainstream... so much so that these kind start copying/mocking it?

Although I shouldnt be jealous/angry, but long time back I had to visit Patna, Bihar to go to Patna Sahib. I got into an auto rickshaw, and a supposed sikh brother was the driver.

I started to talk to him in Punjabi and he had a bihari accent. I asked him why he said hundreds of biharis are converting into sikhs. Umm I dont understand why. Is there an ulterior motive? If I discuss such issues on facebook... these biharis tell me that Guru Gobind jee was born in Patna and I shouldnt discriminate.

Im not discriminating. its those wannabe honey singh biharis I think that are idiots.

Your thoughts?

wjkk wjkf

This is my first post. I am chanan singh from Delhi.

My question is regarding the wannabe sikhs and punjabis that I see everyday. It really makes me sick.

Everyday in Delhi/India we can see Biharis/UPites who listen to punjabi music, the grow trimmed beards and try to talk in punjabi and sound foolish. They do not understand sikhi nor do they follow sikhism. They are all about spitting paan. Most of them visit gurudwara for selfie pics.

What to do about them? How can I stop being irritated by these kinds?

Is it a bad thing that punjabi culture/lifestyle/music and movies have become mainstream... so much so that these kind start copying/mocking it?

Although I shouldnt be jealous/angry, but long time back I had to visit Patna, Bihar to go to Patna Sahib. I got into an auto rickshaw, and a supposed sikh brother was the driver.

I started to talk to him in Punjabi and he had a bihari accent. I asked him why he said hundreds of biharis are converting into sikhs. Umm I dont understand why. Is there an ulterior motive? If I discuss such issues on facebook... these biharis tell me that Guru Gobind jee was born in Patna and I shouldnt discriminate.

Im not discriminating. its those wannabe honey singh biharis I think that are idiots.

Your thoughts?

We should be glad there are non-Punjabis who esteem our language highly enough to attempt to speak it. Makes a nice change from the self-loathing Punjabis/"Sikhs" who repudiate their mother tongue, which they consider to be the language of peasants and the uncouth, in favor of Hindi. Their inability to speak Punjabi doesn't mean they are mocking it. Have you ever tried learning a new language? You're pronunciation will tend to be a bit sketchy in the beginning.

Bihar is one of the most backward provinces in India. The tendrils of Hindu superstition have burrowed deep there. The phenomenon of Biharis converting to Sikhism may be symptomatic of this society of theirs , not of any ulterior motives. If the proliferation of Punjabi culture has truly facilitated the spread of Gursikhi in Bihar, at all, that can only be a good thing.

Your rant has a distinctly chauvinistic flavor, precisely the sort that caused Sikh leaders to refuse Dr Ambedkar and his millions of followers entry into the Panth for fear that it would radically alter the racial constitution of the Sikh religion. Sikhi is not the intellectual copyright of Punjabis.

We should be glad there are non-Punjabis who esteem our language highly enough to attempt to speak it. Makes a nice change from the self-loathing Punjabis/"Sikhs" who repudiate their mother tongue, which they consider to be the language of peasants and the uncouth, in favor of Hindi. Their inability to speak Punjabi doesn't mean they are mocking it. Have you ever tried learning a new language? You're pronunciation will tend to be a bit sketchy in the beginning.

Bihar is one of the most backward provinces in India. The tendrils of Hindu superstition have burrowed deep there. The phenomenon of Biharis converting to Sikhism may be symptomatic of this society of theirs , not of any ulterior motives. If the proliferation of Punjabi culture has truly facilitated the spread of Gursikhi in Bihar, at all, that can only be a good thing.

Your rant has a distinctly chauvinistic flavor, precisely the sort that caused Sikh leaders to refuse Dr Ambedkar and his millions of followers entry into the Panth for fear that it would radically alter the racial constitution of the Sikh religion. Sikhi is not the intellectual copyright of Punjabis.

Thanks Balkaar. I mentioned in my post that I am sort of apologetic for coming off as if punjabi is my property.

But most of them arent following sikhi or even punjabi culture. In recent years of punjabi cinema and music's growth, they are into this because its hip n happening.

They go to markets to buy gabru punjabi kind of tshirts or they go to gurudwara for selfie pics. Although I dont think they can even understand whats being spoken or recited in gurudwaras coz of crowd, but it seems to artificial.

They want to be honey singh i think.

Thanks Balkaar. I mentioned in my post that I am sort of apologetic for coming off as if punjabi is my property.

But most of them arent following sikhi or even punjabi culture. In recent years of punjabi cinema and music's growth, they are into this because its hip n happening.

They go to markets to buy gabru punjabi kind of tshirts or they go to gurudwara for selfie pics. Although I dont think they can even understand whats being spoken or recited in gurudwaras coz of crowd, but it seems to artificial.

They want to be honey singh i think.

Veerji before I read your original post I wasn't even aware that some Biharis idolize Sikh/Punjabi culture. Therefore, I don't think I'm well placed to speculate as to the purity of their intentions. I believe I've said all that I can on the subject.

Guest Jacfsing2

Did they watch any 1984 movies? Kaum De Heere? Chaar Sahibzadey? The Punjabi industry isn't growing.

Did they watch any 1984 movies? Kaum De Heere? Chaar Sahibzadey? The Punjabi industry isn't growing.