White People And Sikh People

carinder

Tell me if you'll had the same experience as me ?

Apart from when I was little and at school, the only time white people have ever been racist towards me as a Sikh is when they're passing in a speeding vehicle.

Not recently, but I used to receive abuse of that sort when I was a mona, and my sizable beard and shaved head gave one the immediate impression that I was a Muslim (I wasn't).

The Muslims have it much worse than we do.

Apart from when I was little and at school, the only time white people have ever been racist towards me as a Sikh is when they're passing in a speeding vehicle.

Is it just me or have you all experienced this same phenonema ?

I... this is so true I'm laughing. As a kid the only time I was mocked for having a joora was when I was on the school minibus on the way to the swimming baths or a random trip somewhere, and some white guy would do that 'Stan Laurel' head scratch as the minibus was zooming past, lol. I went to a predominantly white primary school and a mixed secondary school wirh a greater number of white and black pupils, and nobody ever gave me any grief... to my face at least.

Aside from that I've never encountered any verbal abuse or anything like that. I'm a big lad so that probably has a lot to do with it. Other less imposing Singhs I know get it real bad unfortunately.

Apart from when I was little and at school, the only time white people have ever been racist towards me as a Sikh is when they're passing in a speeding vehicle. To tell the truth, although the times they've shouted something like 'bin laden' its obvious they were being racist but alot of the other times I'm not even sure what they said as their car was speeding by me so fast. I think I hear the word 'beard' but for all I know they could be saying "thats a really impressive beard you have there mate".

Says alot about the psyche and lack of confidence of the white man though. They'll only make these comments when you're on foot as a pedestrian and they're speeding past in a car.

Is it just me or have you all experienced this same phenonema ?

yeh i did same exprince as u

Carinder ji it's because he is uneducated in what Sikhs and other faiths are about. It's ignorance on the mans part, and there are not many like that, few bad apples in the fruit basket. You should have told to research what a Sikh is and reminded him that Sikhs fought in the army alongside them.

https://www.allaboutsikhs.com/historical-events/historical-sikh-events-sikhs-in-world-war-ii

You should have told to research what a Sikh is and reminded him that Sikhs fought in the army alongside them.
https://www.allaboutsikhs.com/historical-events/historical-sikh-events-sikhs-in-world-war-ii

Bhenji (or veerji, as the case may be),

When justifying our demand that Sikhs be respected in the here and now, we shouldn't have to direct people to the achievements of our grandparents from seven decades ago. Instead, let us cast their minds to all the good that Sikhs do for Britain today, not the Britain of that bygone imperial age - like providing invaluable services to the multitudes of homeless: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-31557192

Bhenji (or veerji, as the case may be),

When justifying our demand that Sikhs be respected in the here and now, we shouldn't have to direct people to the achievements of our grandparents from seven decades ago. Instead, let us cast their minds to all the good that Sikhs do for Britain today, not the Britain of that bygone imperial age - like providing invaluable services to the multitudes of homeless: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-31557192

Yes Paji u are right but we also should remember the past and history too. We should not deny that either ji, hanji such as Midlands langar Seva Society, after all Sikhs have always been helping other faiths from long time and will be infinitely.

i was bullied today in tesco by white man was picking on me because i am a sikh it not right

This is completely unacceptable behaviour. I would write an email to Tesco head office stating both the time and date and name of the worker in the incident. These things are taken very seriously in the work place and racism is not tolerated under various legal acts. A couple of years ago I received bad treatment from a checkout girl at waitrose. I voiced my concerns to the store manager who fobbed me off, so I went home and looked up the email address of waitrose head office and emailed them and put in the name of the store manager and the checkout girl. It was treated very seriously - I attended a panel and gave a statement and they were both put under 'retraining' and it was added onto their employment records. In my opinion there is no place for racist treatment and you need escalate and tell the head office straight away rather than writing on this forum. After this I was treated very well and I got a voucher to do free shopping at waitrose.

Here is the form for tesco - https://www.tescohelp.com/tesco/forms/cs_form.html

Please email them straight away and I am more than happy to help check your email because they would want accurate statements etc. If you have a witness please add that person to the statement. If you want me to check please PM.