How And Why Are Sikhs Killing Sikhi?

JSinghnz

One way to overcome, is to read carefully each and every single word from the Bani, (not like parrots)and let it go deep within us, by His Simran, then only shall we see the difference within us, we shall come to know by ourselves, if we are true sikhs or just by lips.

There is no match to Gurbani, neither in taste, neither in the goodness... Gurbani is unique and supreme.

Completely agree. It is a disservice to SGGS when we just get people to parrot the words, when we don't share it with others.

A Sikh's root is SGGS. Without the Guru, what are we?

I disagree with some of the points made in this video. The issues "killing" Sikhi are far deeper and serious than these "problems".

Sikh names.

What is a Sikh name? Is Ishar, Gobind, Ram, Krishan, Kiran, Deep, Inder, along with many other formulaic names, Sikh names? Our Gurus had names from other traditions, Ram (the sovereign), Gobind (master of the Universe), Arjun (pure) all these names have roots in Sanskrit, Hindu traditions.

Guru Gobind Singh Ji's sons, two had Punjabi names Ajit (victorious, unbeaten) and Jujhar (warrior). While the other Sahibzade had Persian names Zorawar (mighty, brave) and Fateh (victory). Are these "Sikh" names? How about Iqbal Singh? There are SIkh Iqbals, but you'll find more Muslim Iqbals. The "Sikh" names Jarnail and Karnail, they come from French words for general and colonel. They came with French soldiers who came to Punjab to fight in Maharaja Ranjit Singh's army. Are these valid "Sikh" names?

Obviously there are some names which have a Sikh root. Any name with "Gur" can be said to be name inspired by Sikhi. There is a subset of authentic "Sikh" names, meaning Punjabi names that popped up in the genesis of Sikhi that relate to concepts in Sikhi. For example, any name with the prefix “Gur” (Gurbaksh, Gurpreet) relates to Guru. Obviously, for the vast majority of Sikhs, not everyone used these names. One notable Sikh that had such a name didn’t even go by it; Gurbaksh Singh being colloquially known as “Banda Singh Bahadur”. Some Muslims chose to change their names when they took Amrit like Ajmer Singh, but that was optional and done out of their own will.

There are two "Sikh" names that every Sikh should use. Singh and Kaur are the only names mandated by our Guru, as long as a Sikh uses these names, what does it matter what their first name is?

You can have an Arabic name like Kabir (great One) and be called Kabir Singh. You can have a Sanskrit name like Simran (rememberance) and be called Simran Kaur.

Never heard anyone say the story of Chotte Sahibzade is scary. Why was the Chotte Sahibzade movie so successful? Many children went to watch the movie. Also, we don't mourn deaths. We celebrate death, we celebrate shaheedi. The shaheedis are celebrated in Punjab with fun fairs. It is not a sad thing that these brave souls did such inspiring things.

Yes, we should remember our shaheeds. At Christmas, remind the children of the Sahibzade, give them a gift (if you give gifts for Christmas) but remind them of our Guru's sacrifice.

The fact that some people don't remember our shaheeds points to a much bigger problem than "they will be scared".

Sikhs don't know their own history. Many don't know how the sahibzade were Shaheed, many don't know why they were shaheed. Many don't even know HOW they were able to do the things they did.

Lack of parchar among Sikhs, how many times is Kirtan just sung in our Gurdwaras without translations or a katha on the words? How much discussion happens in our Gurdwaras?

Veer ji I think she is talking about the pronunciation of names. I've gone through most of my life with people not pronouncing my name right, I was worried my white friends would laugh at me. But its only been recently that I realised my name was given from Guru Ji and tell new people I meet the proper pronunciation.

But I do agree this issue is not whats "killing" Sikhi.

Veer ji I think she is talking about the pronunciation of names. I've gone through most of my life with people not pronouncing my name right, I was worried my white friends would laugh at me. But its only been recently that I realised my name was given from Guru Ji and tell new people I meet the proper pronunciation.

But I do agree this issue is not whats "killing" Sikhi.

Fair enough, but compared to the actual problems killing Sikhi, "no parchar, not following SGGS, drugs, alcohol", it is an incredibly small problem.

If we're talking about pronunciation and Sikh terms, I'd like our parcharks and fellow Sikhs to pronounce Sikh properly. I'd like us to use our own terminology. I'd like more accurate English translations, than the Abrahmic and Vedic influenced translations we have.

My point was that there are no "Sikh" names. The only name given from Guru Ji was Singh and Kaur.

I do have a problem with people getting westernised names for their Punjabi names. Like Harjot calling themselves Harry. Being worried about people laughing or changing your name points to insecurites about your culture. This again is a sign of a bigger problem.

People not knowing anything about Sikhi. If you don't know about Sikhi, if you dont understand your root, then obviously you will want to fit into your wider society and blend in. If you have that strength from Sikhi, you will stand out in the world. Even if you have a different name, you will be secure about yourself.

There are two "Sikh" names that every Sikh should use. Singh and Kaur are the only names mandated by our Guru, as long as a Sikh uses these names, what does it matter what their first name is?

Very valid point but is it happening?

So many so called Sikhs use their tribal, tail names rather than SINGH and KAUR.

Sikhs don't know their own history. Many don't know how the sahibzade were Shaheed, many don't know why they were shaheed. Many don't even know HOW they were able to do the things they did.

Lack of parchar among Sikhs, how many times is Kirtan just sung in our Gurdwaras without translations or a katha on the words? How much discussion happens in our Gurdwaras?

Spot on, but we all know these are huge issues affecting our religion.

Parents do not have time to teach their children their mother language nor the glorious history of Sikhism.

What can be done to find urgent solutions and answers to these problems?

Very valid point but is it happening?

So many so called Sikhs use their tribal, tail names rather than SINGH and KAUR.

It's the third names that's the problem I can perceive. I don't know if Guru Sahib allowed us to keep them or not, but I've always felt that adding a third name after Singh is sort of in a way building and dividing the Khalsa. The Singh and Kaur made us seem like a massive family, the addition of a third name makes me feel like we're purposely dividing ourselves even while within the Khalsa.

It's the third names that's the problem I can perceive. I don't know if Guru Sahib allowed us to keep them or not, but I've always felt that adding a third name after Singh is sort of in a way building and dividing the Khalsa. The Singh and Kaur made us seem like a massive family, the addition of a third name makes me feel like we're purposely dividing ourselves even while within the Khalsa.

Guru Sahib took a revolutionary step by removing us from centuries old tribalism, casteism by giving us SINGH and KAUR as our last names.

Our enemies could not digest that and especially the British encouraged and promoted casteism to grow in our religion to divide and weaken us.