Why Are Sikh Institutions Monopolized By Old Men?

Balkaar

With the exception of the brief interlude from the 80's to the 90's, almost all noteworthy Sikh institutions have been controlled by elderly men since the beginning of the 20th century. This includes Gurdware.

In the United Kingdom, most of these old men are first generation immigrants. They arrived on these shores virtually peniless and their chief object upon arrival was to accumulate money. All other considerations were secondary. They couldn't have been particularly devout as most neglected to raise their children as Gursikhs either due to work or plain indifference. We are still dealing with the fallout of their complacency today. Is it any wonder that the observance of Sikhi is so ramshackle within Guru-Ghars, that interfaith Anand Karajs are permitted for money's sake, when the men managing them spent the formative first halves of their lives consumed by the desire to make money?

All the committee members are decrepit old boys, and all the raagis/granthis seem to be relatively young. We've established before on this forum that a lot of these Granthis object to the idea of officiating interfaith marriages in Maharaj's Hazoori, but are forced to because they are dependent for their livelihood on the greedy old men in the committee. Look at how animated the Sikh qaum was in the 80's, look at how much was accomplished when ascendancy was snatched away from the corrupt old plutocrats and invested in young men like Sant Baba Jarnail Singh and the Jhujaroo Singhs. Their blood ran hot with the passionate fire of youth. Where was this same passion from the reptilian old men who surrendered Punjab to be dismembered in 1947, and again in 1966? Where is it when they allow beadbi to take place in Maharaj's Hazoori?

Why do we allow our elders to run Gurdware in the belief that their ancientness somehow better qualifies them for the job? It seems to me that obeying our elders is precisely what got us into this mess. Most of the bazurgs with whom I am personally acquainted know pretty much nothing about Sikhi, Gurmat, Gurbani, or anything for that matter. They are also usually greedy, wasting away the last few years of their life obsessing over money and inheritance. Why should we listen to them? Things would be better if the young men and women were in charge.

*I don't mean to criticize all of them. Just most of them.*

What I find even more disturbing are the young male relatives and acquaintances of these old timers who've been groomed to follow in their footsteps, like heirs to the empire. So, anyone expecting a radical shift in attitudes when these older gentlemen begin to depart this earth will be greatly disappointed. They've made provisions that all those decades of hard work will not go to waste.

I keep saying the true threat to the long-term survival of Sikhi are not external threats, but it's the enemy within.

What I find even more disturbing are the young male relatives and acquaintances of these old timers who've been groomed to follow in their footsteps, like heirs to the empire. So, anyone expecting a radical shift in attitudes when these older gentlemen begin to depart this earth will be greatly disappointed. They've made provisions that all those decades of hard work will not go to waste.

I keep saying the true threat to the long-term survival of Sikhi are not external threats, but it's the enemy within.

I didn't know spaces on the committees were in danger of becoming hereditary. The poisonous influence of archaic Punjabi culture and its fixation on legacies. What's to be done about it now that waiting for them to die is out of the window?

What is stopping the young men and women to take charge?

Their misplaced respect for elders. They've been brainwashed into thinking that having a white beard qualifies a bloke as some kind of sage. In truth, most of these youngsters are twenty times more informed than their grandparents.

Look at the southall gurdwaras, they use kabaddi players and genuine thugs to scare away chardi kalah sikh youngsters, who dream to make the gurughar a better place. A mafia type system is indeed running in various gurdwaras in uk, make no mistake. They use the police to their own good with false allegations etc.

Look at the southall gurdwaras, they use kabaddi players and genuine thugs to scare away chardi kalah sikh youngsters, who dream to make the gurughar a better place. A mafia type system is indeed running in various gurdwaras in uk, make no mistake. They use the police to their own good with false allegations etc.

Then the solution is simple. If they are running Gurdwarae as businesses and consider the Sangat as punters. Take the punters away from them.

I think it may time to build alternative gurdwarae that may serve the needs. It does not need to be extravagant gurdwarae.

There are a lot of empty office blocks that can be leased or bought. You can have proper classrooms for Gurmat lessons etc.

It's believed that they are wiser than today's youth.. which I kind of agree with in some senses when comparing to today's youth. I doubt most Sikh youth think of these stuff anyways lol.

I know what you're alluding to. But there's a huge difference between being world-wise, street-smart (or savvy) and being genuinely wise. The assumption is that most Sikh youngsters who have their head screwed on straight may be pious but are "bhondoo", fools, unaware of the harsh realities of the world and how it operates, therefore these old timers hold no stock in idealistic thinking.