Views On Shere Punjab?

Hi all,

Was just wondering what peoples views were on Shere Punjab and whether they did Sikhi any good? Also, do you think that another such group will surface in the future? Would it be something that appeals to Sikhs in todays society?

Im no expert on Shere Punjab but for those who dont know, this is a group that formed in Birmingham in response to muslims targeting sikh girls. There moto is to serve and protect the vulnerable ..

Would be good to hear all your opinions

Thanks

I don't think they were too concerned with representing the Sikh faith, and I think they'd be the first to admit it. It was more of a cultural thing whereby their activities happened to centre around people of a Sikh background.

I dunno, maybe I'm a bit paranoid, but this topic feels like it's been started by someone who works for a professional outfit, like the BBC or a newspaper of that sort, in order to gauge Sikhs' opinions and attitudes to certain issues in light of the recent Anand Karaj discussions that have made headlines. I could be wrong :)

They had noble aims and you could argue their activities were essential on a social / street level (for as we know, life is not perfect), but looking to groups such as Shere Punjab for spiritual guidance is not the best way to go about it IMO. Equally, I'm wary of the "official" groups, sects, or Jathas that are numerous in this modern age - for good reason - so I'm probably not the best person to ask.

I made my spiritual journey - and continue to do so - independently. There's enough resources without any catches or vested interests to allow you to do the same. Of course, if you're the kind of person who requires the company of others, the social aspect of it all, or constant affirmation of like minded people to stay on the path, then my way is perhaps not best suited for you.

I made my spiritual journey - and continue to do so - independently. There's enough resources without any catches or vested interests to allow you to do the same. Of course, if you're the kind of person who requires the company of others, the social aspect of it all, or constant affirmation of like minded people to stay on the path, then my way is perhaps not best suited for you.

Very well said. Too many people wrongly take 'Sadh Sangat' to mean the congregation that gathers within a Gurdwara, which can easily be made up of nindaks (and is more often than not).

Very well said. Too many people wrongly take 'Sadh Sangat' to mean the congregation that gathers within a Gurdwara, which can easily be made up of nindaks (and is more often than not).

It's just the way things turn out for some of us. But sitting amongst the sangat when listening to Gurbani or vichaar is essential IMO. It's the communal sense of spiritual togetherness that Gurbani recommends if I'm not mistaken. However, I don't take it any further than that.

I have recently come away from a bad crowd where I would drink and do drugs etc so it isnt that easy for me because I was deep into that path. I have now parted from them ways and I agree, I dont think your way would suit me best simply because of how I used to be. Never the less I hope to get there one day :) Thanks for your input

In that case be mindful not to exchange one type of bad crowd for another, for whilst that kind of religiously social interaction - especially if you're of an impressionable age - may seem like a world away from your alcohol consuming friends, there's usually other vices that the so-called pious are riddled with beneath the surface, and before you know it you've been dragged into that world without even realising it, as Balkaar Singh points out.