Sikhi And Wealth

JagsawSingh

Our Gurus made no mistake in giving our kakkars to wear. Our Gurus were timeless so there is nothing outdated in how we dress. It is actually other people's appearances which are outdated as they constantly have to change their appearance to keep up with the constant change in fashion. Amrit isn't about distinguishing ourselves from appearance but to set ourselves on the path to vaheguru spiritually. In every practice we take in sikhi even in appearance has a spiritual benefit regardless of how hard it is for us to comprehend this. During amrit initiation, we receive naam which is the remedy to unite ourselves with vaheguru. The creation was created by the sound of vaheguru, this sound/vibration is an indescribable blessing for anyone to receive. I agree we need to be human first which is why when the panj pyare were called daya came first. We need to have a strong mentality and behaviour of compassion and morality before even attempting to be a sikh, otherwise our naam bani isn't pleasing to guru sahib and vaheguru. It would be better for us to set ourselves as an example to others of how a Sikh should be.

I'm going to make this short so hope you'll get it the first time.

You are not supposed to just 'blindly' follow in a religion. You are supposed to also develop your own mental well being and think for yourself. I do not see that in your post.

I'm going to make this short so hope you'll get it the first time.

You are not supposed to just 'blindly' follow in a religion. You are supposed to also develop your own mental well being and think for yourself. I do not see that in your post.

I agree, I was not trying to convince you to become a sikh. We should never blindly follow a religion. Sikhi teaches us to experience naam, not to blindly believe in it. It is your personal experience between you, guru sahib and vaheguru.

• 6 months later...

So........the thing that had been keeping me dead all my life, i.e non-amritdhari.

'mrit' in ancient Sanscrit means death. In Sanscrit, just like all indo-european languages, including engish (as any doctor will tell you), when you put an 'a' in front of the word it becomes the opposite. So, when you put the 'a' in front of 'mrit' (death) you get life. Meaning we are actually dead....walking around as the walking dead...and it is Amrit that will give us life. What stops a dead man choosing life is complicated. We all have our own reasons / excuses. Mine was the fact that my faith's parcharaks swan around in rich man's vehicles that destroy the environment even though my Guru ji says that environment is Waheguru, that my Sikh Channels constantly have rich men on living in mansions regardless of the immoral means they obtained those riches etc. Well, today both me and the old girl gave our names to shak Amrit on Basakhi day next month. When I'm finally alive I will sit with the poor, eat with the poor and give a helping hand to the poor. That, is what being 'alive' is all about.

Akhaa jeeva visre mar jau
When you speak or say waheguru or do simran you are alive. The moment you forget it its death.

SGGS ANG 1138

भैरउ महला ५ ॥
Bẖairo mėhlā 5.
Bhairao, Fifth Mehl:
साच पदारथु गुरमुखि लहहु ॥
Sācẖ paḏārath gurmukẖ lahhu.
As Gurmukh, obtain the true wealth.
प्रभ का भाणा सति करि सहहु ॥१॥
Parabẖ kā bẖāṇā saṯ kar sahhu. ||1||
Accept the Will of God as True. ||1||
जीवत जीवत जीवत रहहु ॥
Jīvaṯ jīvaṯ jīvaṯ rahhu.
Live, live, live forever.
राम रसाइणु नित उठि पीवहु ॥
Rām rasā▫iṇ niṯ uṯẖ pīvhu.
Rise early each day, and drink in the Nectar of the Lord.
हरि हरि हरि हरि रसना कहहु ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
Har har har har rasnā kahhu. ||1|| rahā▫o.
With your tongue, chant the Name of the Lord, Har, Har, Har, Har. ||1||Pause||
कलिजुग महि इक नामि उधारु ॥
Kalijug mėh ik nām uḏẖār.
In this Dark Age of Kali Yuga, the One Name alone shall save you.
नानकु बोलै ब्रहम बीचारु ॥२॥११॥
Nānak bolai barahm bīcẖār. ||2||11||
Nanak speaks the wisdom of God. ||2||11||
SGGS Ang 340
जजा जउ तन जीवत जरावै ॥
Jajā ja▫o ṯan jīvaṯ jarāvai.
JAJJA: If someone burns his body while he is still alive,
जोबन जारि जुगति सो पावै ॥
Joban jār jugaṯ so pāvai.
and burns away the desires of his youth, then he finds the right way.
अस जरि पर जरि जरि जब रहै ॥
As jar par jar jar jab rahai.
When he burns his desire for his own wealth, and that of others,
तब जाइ जोति उजारउ लहै ॥१४॥
Ŧab jā▫e joṯ ujāra▫o lahai. ||14||
then he finds the Divine Light. ||14||