Born As A So So Called Sikh ....but Want To Be One Now

ravstar

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Hi I need some guidence from the Sangat here and would like to know how to be prepared to become a fully fledged Sikh (AND TAKE AMRIT)

I am currently monah and have realised that I am not in control of anything in my life, I have a good Job and other things, but nothing has hit the spot. I have form a young age always thought that I have Kindness and compassion and try my self to be respectful towards people, and to a certain level looked at Guru Nanaks teachings of how he interacted with others and encouraged others to practice their faith, Me and a Muslim friend once went to the Gurudwara and a Mosque in one day and felt we broke boundaries in terms of apposing each other and talked openly how the relations were between Muslim and Sikhs over years and realised that it better to look at the good rather than the bad. In that way My faith in Sikhi was average still compared to what I feel know. I went into the mosque knowing that I will walk out a Sikh in my heart no matter what, Not in the way to apose the them if they did try to force convert me, but the fact that looking at the examples the Gurus and what they did when they were in these situation. I wasn't scared, because I already went to the Gurudwara already and felt strong. At the time I felt I was close to Sikhi, but i look back and realise that it was the fact that I liked the idea of it rather than being a Sikh. I now realise where I thought I was knocking on Gurus door back then, I am infact a million miles away. However now I feel like I want to take them steps. I realise that taking Amrit is not a restriction its more a liberation, it does not tell you what to do it tells you too think more. I.e when people talk about eating meat, although it says you can eat meat (Jatka) generally Amritdharis don't, that way I believe it does not make you sit there arguing or stressing over it, but instead you realise its not necessary to eat meat. I love that because if we make a decision on our own belief then our belief is stronger rather than feeling forced to do it and feeling inadequate, To be fair I had enjoyed meat for many years, but that's the point I enjoyed it, Had it made me a better person? No, has it made Worse ? Probably yes ...why because I felt that it was superior to everything and that it made me a man to eat like a caveman (Cannot I be a man without it?).....see this is how recently i have not eaten meat, that's what I find beautiful about this way of thinking.

Sorry about the above but, that was a way I could introduce myself I guess.

So at the moment the Hair is Growing and want to wear Dastar and follow Sikhi the best I can.

Here are my questions hopefully you can help with,

I cant read Gurmakhi? Is this Going to be a problem? I will try and learn but do I need to do this before Amrit? Can I listen to instead if I Struggle?

I work and have explained to them what Intend to do, they are cool about it I do long hours (12) Can I read My Paath from the PC, with my shoes off, this will only be the Rehraas.

Are there any support Networks in East London? anyone I can talk to for Guidance maybe.

Also Will I be able to interact still with my friends/family) from different backgrounds and religions, go for meals in restaurants etc, weddings, birthdays funerals etc?

These maybe silly questions but I just would like to have a feeling of what the online Sangat feels?And also makes me feel part of something great!

I cant read Gurmakhi? Is this Going to be a problem? I will try and learn but do I need to do this before Amrit? Can I listen to instead if I Struggle?

Not a problem. When i was a kid I learned Gurmukhi and Punjabi after using Romanised Gutke for a couple of years (where the Gurbani is spelt in English phonetically but when pronounced it sounds as if you're reading it in its true form), so if 7 or 8 year old me can do that, I don't think it'll be an issue for you. If you can, try to obtain English translations of Gurbani too. It'll help develop an understanding of what you're reciting, instead of just being something you speak out loud. Of course, any recitation of Gurbani is good, but a curious mind will want to know what's being said IMO. Good luck, you seem eager and excited, that's a good sign.

Guest Jacfsing2

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Hi I need some guidence from the Sangat here and would like to know how to be prepared to become a fully fledged Sikh (AND TAKE AMRIT)

I am currently monah and have realised that I am not in control of anything in my life, I have a good Job and other things, but nothing has hit the spot. I have form a young age always thought that I have Kindness and compassion and try my self to be respectful towards people, and to a certain level looked at Guru Nanaks teachings of how he interacted with others and encouraged others to practice their faith, Me and a Muslim friend once went to the Gurudwara and a Mosque in one day and felt we broke boundaries in terms of apposing each other and talked openly how the relations were between Muslim and Sikhs over years and realised that it better to look at the good rather than the bad. In that way My faith in Sikhi was average still compared to what I feel know. I went into the mosque knowing that I will walk out a Sikh in my heart no matter what, Not in the way to apose the them if they did try to force convert me, but the fact that looking at the examples the Gurus and what they did when they were in these situation. I wasn't scared, because I already went to the Gurudwara already and felt strong. At the time I felt I was close to Sikhi, but i look back and realise that it was the fact that I liked the idea of it rather than being a Sikh. I now realise where I thought I was knocking on Gurus door back then, I am infact a million miles away. However now I feel like I want to take them steps. I realise that taking Amrit is not a restriction its more a liberation, it does not tell you what to do it tells you too think more. I.e when people talk about eating meat, although it says you can eat meat (Jatka) generally Amritdharis don't, that way I believe it does not make you sit there arguing or stressing over it, but instead you realise its not necessary to eat meat. I love that because if we make a decision on our own belief then our belief is stronger rather than feeling forced to do it and feeling inadequate, To be fair I had enjoyed meat for many years, but that's the point I enjoyed it, Had it made me a better person? No, has it made Worse ? Probably yes ...why because I felt that it was superior to everything and that it made me a man to eat like a caveman (Cannot I be a man without it?).....see this is how recently i have not eaten meat, that's what I find beautiful about this way of thinking.

Sorry about the above but, that was a way I could introduce myself I guess.

So at the moment the Hair is Growing and want to wear Dastar and follow Sikhi the best I can.

I work and have explained to them what Intend to do, they are cool about it I do long hours (12) Can I read My Paath from the PC, with my shoes off, this will only be the Rehraas.

Also Will I be able to interact still with my friends/family) from different backgrounds and religions, go for meals in restaurants etc, weddings, birthdays funerals etc?

These maybe silly questions but I just would like to have a feeling of what the online Sangat feels?And also makes me feel part of something great!

Your questions, 1. Learning Gurmukhi from what I understand shouldn't prevent you from taking Amrit, Amrit Sanchars don't happen every day. Listening is ok, but try not being dependent on that, (even before you are Amritdhari). 2. I don't know if reading bani from the pc or phone is right, but personally I do it so I think it's ok. 3. You can still interact with your family from different religions, the parties are ok to go to. But the restaurant thing depends on if you have a Bibek or Sarbloh Rehat.

VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

First and foremost, a line from Bhai Gurdas Sahib - Charan Sharan Gur Aek Painda Jai Chal, Satgur Kot Painda Aage Hoe Lait Hai - When a Sikh takes one step towards the Guru, the Guru will walk thousands of steps for the Sikh. Congratulations on pursuing Sikhi! We are all trying and believe me, Guru Sahib does most of the work for the Sikh.

It is not required, but is it highly recommended. There are plenty of things in English (including Nitnem Gutka Sahibs) that you can use to do Nitnem, but until you learn Gurmukhi, a lot of doors in Sikhi will be locked - not being able to read as intended Gurbani and other inspirational works. So it is recommended that you do try to learn Gurmukhi. You probably have been around Gurmukhi alphabet (lipi) enough that you are familiar with it. For me, it took memorizing the Gurmukhi alphabet and then starting to do Nitnem from a Gutka Sahib. It is a struggle for about a week, but then it all clicks. Try it - it is a lot easier that you may be making it out to be. For Amrit, sometimes the Guru Roop Punj Pyare will instruct that you learn Gurmukhi ASAP after Amrit. Yes, you can listen if you struggle, but if you listen and read a Gutka Sahib and try to read along aloud, you will learn it MUCH faster. It is find to use an aid to get by whiile you learn, but don't let it be a crutch. A Gursikh should also strive to do Sehaj Paath of Sahib Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji when Amritdhari per Sikh Rehat Maryada and knowing Gurmukhi will be the way to do this.

Many Gursikhs read Nitnem from their smartphones and electronic devices. Shoes off, head covered and concentration is essential. You should be fine.

Are there any support Networks in East London? anyone I can talk to for Guidance maybe.

classicsingh's recommendation is good. I have been to the Friday Simran and it is a great way to do Sangat with the Sikh youth (it is a youth program) - GREAT initiative. There are many other events in East London or the general area - once you start to do the Friday Sangat, the sangat there will probably make you aware of other programs as well.

Interact - sure. You may want to adjust your interactions so they do not cause any obstacles in Sikhi. Restaurants and etc - depends - sometimes the Punj Pyare discourage eating out (and many times don't - depends). As a person who spent 2 years in college dorms, I would be hesitant to recommend restaurants - chefs taste the food while cooking it, contaminants, improper hygeine, etc. Weddings, birthdays, funerals - as long it does not interfere with your Sikhi practice. Simple way: Do Sangat, follow the Rehat given to you and any questions you have, either ask at the Amrit Sanchar directly to the Punj Pyare when you are interviewed or if after Amrit Sanchar, elder respected Gursikhs/Sangat that you know are genuine.

Not silly at all and very valid questions. History is full of references of Sikhs asking Guru Sahib each and every little question - Guru Sahib responded to their inquires all the time. Now that Guru Roop is invested into the Khalsa Panth - most ideally vested in the Guru Roop Punj Pyare.

Thank you so so much, this gives me more confidence to take Amrit, Seriously it means a lot to me.

Classic Singh I will definatly do so in terms of help with the Dastar.

I have always enjoyed and been inspired by peoples stories, especially the ones that have been plucked from complete darkness (ie drinking, disrespecting people etc) and taken Amrit...hopefully my story will be the same, not for me but for the Guru to be proud of me, because at the moment I do feel a million miles away.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ke Fateh