Unwanted Facial Hair

Guest Guest

WJKK WJKF

I am an amritdhari girl and have started to grow facial hair that I am embarrassed about. I am 17 and go to a school where there arent many sikhs and those that are don't practice and dont understand why I dont remove it. I get looks from class mates as everyone including most guys pluck and shape their eyebrows. I have thought about trying it as I have seen many other amritdhari women who have done their eyebrows, but havent as my mum would be disappointed and I'm not sure how my strict Gursikh family would react.

Any advice would be helpful and thank you in advance

WJKK WJKF

Guest SinghAbb

It is Guru Jee's hukam to keep all of our hair. It is a bajjar kureht to remove any hair and doing so means that you have turned your back on Guru Granth Sahib. So don't do it.

Guru Jee says: ਕਬੀਰ ਲਾਗੀ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਸੁਜਾਨ ਸਿਉ ਬਰਜੈ ਲੋਗੁ ਅਜਾਨੁ ॥ ਤਾ ਸਿਉ ਟੂਟੀ ਕਿਉ ਬਨੈ ਜਾ ਕੇ ਜੀਅ ਪਰਾਨ ॥੨੧੭॥

Kabeer, I am in love with the All-knowing Lord; the ignorant ones try to hold me back. How could I ever break with the One, who owns our soul and breath of life. ||217||

It is normal for people that don't want to follow all of Sikhi to tell you to not follow all of it either. Do not listen to them, do not spend more time with them than you have to.

Guru Jee also says: ਨਾਨਕ ਬੋਲਣੁ ਝਖਣਾ ਦੁਖ ਛਡਿ ਮੰਗੀਅਹਿ ਸੁਖ ॥ਸੁਖੁ ਦੁਖੁ ਦੁਇ ਦਰਿ ਕਪੜੇ ਪਹਿਰਹਿ ਜਾਇ ਮਨੁਖ ॥ ਜਿਥੈ ਬੋਲਣਿ ਹਾਰੀਐ ਤਿਥੈ ਚੰਗੀ ਚੁਪ ॥੨॥

O Nanak, it is absurd to ask to be spared from pain by begging for comfort. Pleasure and pain are the two garments given, to be worn in the Court of the Lord. Where you are bound to lose by speaking, there, you ought to remain silent. ||2||

If the other people do not understand, then don't bother trying to make them understand. If you think you will be happier without facial hair, you are wrong. Some other problem will show up in your life because without Naam, there is no happiness: ਨਾਮ ਬਿਨਾ ਸੁਖੁ ਨਾਹਿ ਸਰਪਰ ਹਾਰਿਆ ॥੪॥ Without the Naam, there is no peace at all, and the mortal will surely fail. ||4||

So instead of following a fake happiness through cutting hair, follow Guru Sahib and get true happiness through naam.

Go meet other Sikhs, those ones that actually want to follow Sikhi. Don't look down on the others, you are not higher than them, but according to Guru Jee we should try to spend more time with Sikhs that care about Sikhi, not any other people. Other people will tell you to cut your hair. They may do this to help you but they don't even know that they are only bringing you down. Gursikhs will tell you to keep your hair and help you on your path of Sikhi.

Look at this Shabad to understand about sangat: http://searchgurbani.com/guru_granth_sahib/shabad/2216/line/2

You need to find other Singhnis to spend time with. You are not alone in this situation, many have faced it in the past and decided to turn their back on the world and follow the Guru and many are doing that now too. Do Ardas and Guru Jee will help you.

Take spirituality seriously, start reading a lot of bani and do simran. That is the point of being amritdhari. Simran will make you stronger.

Finally, those "Amritdharis" that cut their hair and eyebrows are not even Amritdhari. They are patits. They may have done the bajjar kureht of cutting hair without wanting to so I hope Guru Jee gives them the strength to come back to the Khalsa Panth. But do not make them your role models and do not follow their example because they have at this moment failed. Follow Sikhi, keep your hair and become a good example of what a Sikh should be instead. Hopefully they come back to the Khalsa Panth. Remember, hair is a blessing from Guru Jee as it is a crucial part of simran, no matter where it is.

Jap naam as much as you can.

WaheguruJiKaKhalsaWaheguruJiKiFateh

Where are you growing facial hair? Firstly, let me tell you that those amritdhari women are not amritdhari anymore. It is a bujjar kurehit to remove any hair. Secondly, sadly those women/men have actually ruined their face as they do not know what beauty is. Having thicker eyebrows gives more youthfulness. I advise you to not mess around with your face as you'll ruin it. You are still young; focus on your sikhi and education. When you are older your perspective of beauty will change and you will be glad you didn't tamper with your face.

WJKK WJKF

I am an amritdhari girl and have started to grow facial hair that I am embarrassed about. I am 17 and go to a school where there arent many sikhs and those that are don't practice and dont understand why I dont remove it. I get looks from class mates as everyone including most guys pluck and shape their eyebrows. I have thought about trying it as I have seen many other amritdhari women who have done their eyebrows, but havent as my mum would be disappointed and I'm not sure how my strict Gursikh family would react.

Any advice would be helpful and thank you in advance

WJKK WJKF

Kid you should talk to other young females in your family like elder sister or cousin. They have been in your position.

Guest Jacfsing2

Each and every piece of Kesh is important; however, the main thing is following Guru Sahib's Hukam and whether or not you could live with the guilt of betraying his will. The women you mentioned aren't Amritdhari anymore to Guru Sahib's eyes.

Guest Kaur advice

Everyone is correct - don't remove your hair. I know it's tough!

This is what I would do - wear a chunni over your turban, keshki or head hair. I have face hair just like every other woman on the planet so your not alone.

I personally found that wearing a chunni has made it easier because no one notices your chin and side hairs under the chunni. Give it a try - plus makes you look extra noble! I wear a chunni everywhere now!

I agree with the people above^

Depending on where you live, dairy products have hormones in them from the cows which also speed up hair growth in surprising places such as those. You can try going organic if the facial hair still bothers you. I have some Sri Amritdhari relatives who are from India and live there, but they come to visit and they have no facial hair and I know for sure it has to do with diet, compared to what is here in america to that in India.