Sikh Population In Punjab Is 57 % Which Was 60% In 2001 Census.

hrman

There are two factors which has resulted in our demographic decline in proportion to the other communities. One is migration. since 2000, Sikhs have migrated to the west in huge numbers. Canada, US, Australia and Italy has seen their Sikh population grow at the expense of Punjab. Two, The thing that makes it worse is that Sikhs have one of lowest fertility rates of all the religious communities of India. Our negative fertility rate has resulted in our demographic decline. When the Jathadar of Akal Takh suggested Sikhs should have more kids, he was ridiculed and insulted by Sikhs. Even on this very forum people became very rude to the Jathadar for daring to suggest this because they consider kids to be a burden on their western life style. We have gone they way of the once great Parsi community who are dying a slow death and will eventually become history.

Hopefully this census report was a wake up call for Sikhs worldwide and our elite and leaders who will do whatever it takes to improve our demographic situation.

Prakash Badal and his worthless son are a cancer to Punjab! This man has hoarded a huge amount of wealth but has done nothing to improve the employment situation of Punjab which has resulted in youth wanting to migrate out west. There is a huge fence across the border yet surprisingly free flow of drugs still manages to go through and the result is our youth are all on some form of drugs.

At one time, the best sportsmen of India were Punjabis. Wrestlers, boxers, runners, hockey players were all mostly Punjabi. But Badal sarkar has no interest in promoting sports and athletics to the youth who are hooked on drugs also due to the mismanagement of Badal Sarkar. Now the sports scene is dominated by Haryanvi athletes who are well taken care of by the Haryana government. Haryanvi boxers like Vijender Singh and wrestlers like Sushil Kumar are world class athletes.

Our female infanticide problem is huge. Abortion is murder! And we have murdered untold amounts of our girls in the womb. Lakh Lanat on such mothers and fathers who murder their child like this! That's like 2 million Sikh women who were killed before entering this world by their selfish parents.

Problems are many. But the ONLY solution to all our problems is Sikhi. It is no coincidence that as the religiosity among the Sikhs has declined these problems have increased many fold. Our situation is what is it is today because we have gone away from Sikhi. When the entire Sikh Qaum follows Sikhi we were a force to be reckoned with. Now all we can do is read about the exploits of our forefathers.

Sat Sri Akal sab nu

The situation is not good for Sikhs. We are already such a small portion of population, and now our population is going even further down.

I blame drugs, hedonism, influence of Western culture, and newly found wealth in Punjab.

While our youth in Punjab is doing drugs, having fun, and becoming part of wider indian state---Muslims have yet again showed their discipline, lack of regard of "wider" culture, and strict loyalty to their own culture. They have grown from 13.4% to 14.2% (and if we add in figures of Pakistan and Bangladesh's Muslim growth, then the figure becomes even more impressive).

I heard from one Punjabi girl of ours (who visited Punjab recently) that apna Punjab (East Punjab)---which was absolutely clear of Muslim peoples due to mass migrations of 1947---is seeing the return of Muslims in the land. She told me that her village had now built a Mosque and in various cities of Punjab, she could even hear Ajaan (Islamic Call to prayer).

Muslims are a global people--with huge resources, massive power, tens of nation-states, their own militaries, and large diasporas. But they act and preserve themselves as if they are "under threat" of extinction or something and they always spread their religion, culture, and civilization globally (even in West now!).

While we Sikhs are a people with no state, no military, extremely small size, very few in numbers and so on--and yet we act as if we are big guns in world and make no effort to preserve (let alone spread) our religion/culture/way of life. Our apnay log are doing intermixing, inter-faith marriages, drugs, alcohol in punjab, just hedonism and fun...and lack of traditional moral code where getting married and having a family is considered a great thing.

Its mind boggling. Muslims should be "relaxed" and should enjoy their lives..while Sikhs should be disciplined and work to spread their culture. But its opposite!

After looking at the numbers, it really does seem like Doaba is taking most of the damage. Situation is horrible there, even the countryside is Hindu. At least Majha and Malwa countrysides are still dominated by Sikhs. Outside of Doaba, it is really only Ludhiana (city) and Gurdaspur (district) that hurt Sikh numbers significantly. Ludhiana really is ridiculous, massive growth, of which Sikhs contributed little of.

I blame drugs, hedonism, influence of Western culture, and newly found wealth in Punjab.

Urgh.

'Western culture' isn't what's leading people to murder their baby girls.

That's the handiwork of sexist Punjabi culture.

'Western culture' isn't what's leading people to take drugs.

75% of Punjabi youths are addicted to drugs. The figures for Western societies don't even touch this.

Get real. Our Punjabi brethren are so smug sometimes.

Well, if we allow nature to take its course I think the natural conclusion will be us becoming a footnote in history, in terms of Punjab of course.

I don't agree with some of the hand-wringing that occurs when issues of this nature are discussed, with the suggestion that Sikhs back home are completely free of blame for these situations to come to the fore. They consider themselves a savvy, proud people, no less capable than any other group in the world.

Unfortunately, the herd mentality that manifests itself through various facets of their existence means they aren't as clever as they think they are. They can hoodwink and deceive each other over land inheritance and other petty and meaningless issues of a domestic nature, but when it comes to a wider social appreciation and awareness of their place in society and the world in general, the grey matter sadly malfunctions, and the wood can't be seen for the trees. You can't change something that is ingrained in a collective psyche without a monumental shift in awareness.

Sikhi - in its purest form devoid of the petty politics and aggrandisement of status - was the gift to our people to transcend our innate "Indianess" but we've even managed to look that particular gift horse in the mouth. It's our fault, those over there and us here, and we've begun to reap the affects of our arrogance and our inability to do the right thing no matter what impositions have been placed on us. It's survival of the fittest some might say, and if we can't survive and thrive, then maybe we deserve an end that befits the sum error of our inability to free ourselves of the shackles that have been placed on us in part by others and the rest by ourselves.

Nothing worth doing is ever pain-free and straight-forward. Unfortunately, I doubt Panjabis can even begin to recognise there's a problem. That's the level of befuddlement we're talking about here.

we are a self hating people, we hate our culture, religion, people, and language. i have seen this over and over again. We are not happy seeing our own people or speaking our own language. In every manmat dera, you will always see our people sitting there. Anything that is opposite of our culture, religion, and language, we like.

Urgh.

'Western culture' isn't what's leading people to murder their baby girls.

That's the handiwork of sexist Punjabi culture.

'Western culture' isn't what's leading people to take drugs.

75% of Punjabi youths are addicted to drugs. The figures for Western societies don't even touch this.

Get real. Our Punjabi brethren are so smug sometimes.

Excellent post.

Western culture created the computer we're all typing on, the internet, car, flight....pretty every much single thing in our lives we take for granted and the very best of countries to live in on the planet. We denigrate the West yet every Indian's wet dream is to hop on a plane and live in the west. How did these alcoholics and drug abusers create the best countries in the world to live in?

As if Punjabis didn't know how to drink and consume drugs before the advent and influence of Western culture in the East. Actually, it's the West who learned how to use drugs from Easterners and not vice versa.

Today Scotland is one of the largest manufacturers of Whiskey in the world and Japan is a close second. Yet India is probably 200 years behind these two countries in terms of standard of living. How is this possible????? This dumb morons like a broken tape recorder keep repeating this same nonsense again and again, akin to a parrot on crack! It's the only thing their pea brain knows.

Guest Jacfsing2

I don't think we need that 90% overwhelming majority, but of course it would be nice. If the 57% we do have was comrprised of quality Sikhs, we'd have a solid hold over Punjab. We need the Badals out, get rid of them and we can free SGPC and the Akal Takht, giving us some power over ourselves again. With SGPC's funding they can start mass parchar in gurdwaray and give funds to gurdwaray to help the poor, and with the political power we can legally crack down on anti Sikh practices and elements. But then again, who do we have to replace the Badals even? Its a dire situation.

Agreed, even there are only 10% genuine Sikhs in just Punjab the entire state would probably be at the very least less with the problem of Paap.

To be honest if u look at the demographics of that link provided, im not too concerned by the muslim population ppl keep on mentioning.

Out of the nearly 28million population, 16million is sikh, nearly 11million is hindu. U then add up christian(350k), muslim(540k), jain(45k) and buddhist(33k), and their numbers together dont even make up a million!...that too out of 28million.

My main concern is the hindu population, which is jus growin too much in panjab, n we all know this is due to immigration from outside states like UP/Bihar,n not hindu panjabis. Even the christian numbers i expected to be much much higher, since 2000 onwards, they have targeted A LOT of mazhbi sikh/hindus, but many of whom have now returned back to sikhi, thanks to parchar and the RSS ghar wapsi campaign. People have said how theres now 1million christians now in panjab, yet in that census, it shows their numbers r barely 350k.

But parchar needs to continue n step up, of which in my opinion, is gonna come from outside of panjab, like uk sikh charities/parcharaks. This whole ghar wapsi campaign is the only homegrown stuff that is happening. To be honest after looking at the demographics, im not too dismayed by it, condidering we r killing ourselves via drugs, female foeticide, mass immigration to foreign lands, cancerous water, alcohol etc, i expected our numbers to be MUCH MUCH lower, esp the way 'DTF' keeps sayin. Having said that, whats in store for the next 5-10yrs, who knows? But the biggest threat is defo, the hindu/dera population. I remember reading the sikh population was at 13million once, and the hindu at 6million about a decade ago, yet they r catchin up bigtime! Biharis have made a huge impact, no question, such a shame they r not bein converted into sikhi in larger numbers, but wat can u do, wen sikhi is dead in panjab?

But overall, i gotta agree with jagsaw on this, with all the concerns in past decade or so of the demographics, this isnt even near as bad as we all thought.

My main concern is the hindu population, which is jus growin too much in panjab, n we all know this is due to immigration from outside states like UP/Bihar,n not hindu panjabis. Even the christian numbers i expected to be much much higher, since 2000 onwards, they have targeted A LOT of mazhbi sikh/hindus, but many of whom have now returned back to sikhi, thanks to parchar and the RSS ghar wapsi campaign. People have said how theres now 1million christians now in panjab, yet in that census, it shows their numbers r barely 350k.

But parchar needs to continue n step up, of which in my opinion, is gonna come from outside of panjab, like uk sikh charities/parcharaks. This whole ghar wapsi campaign is the only homegrown stuff that is happening. To be honest after looking at the demographics, im not too dismayed by it, condidering we r killing ourselves via drugs, female foeticide, mass immigration to foreign lands, cancerous water, alcohol etc, i expected our numbers to be MUCH MUCH lower, esp the way 'DTF' keeps sayin. Having said that, whats in store for the next 5-10yrs, who knows? But the biggest threat is defo, the hindu/dera population. I remember reading the sikh population was at 13million once, and the hindu at 6million about a decade ago, yet they r catchin up bigtime! Biharis have made a huge impact, no question, such a shame they r not bein converted into sikhi in larger numbers, but wat can u do, wen sikhi is dead in panjab?

Agreed, parchaar directed at the bahmans is the answer. As well as securing the future of our own nation, our parchaaraks would be doing the Hindus a favour liberating them from their stupid, stupid superstitions.