42 minutes ago, Shaheed4life said:

Vaheguru ji ka khalsa Vaheguru ji ki fateh 

Veerji,Firstly for your information, the kirtan done by gursikhs from akhand kirtani jatha are also raags.They are just a mixture of raags.

Secondly,please do not attack the veerji who has made the sikhvibes website as he has put in effort to do this.His intention is not to go against gurmat.He did this website to help connect the sangat with kiran and katha and to also showcase some old recording that are rare to get on youtube.

Thirdly,please educate the sangat which part of the rehat maryada of the Khalsa Panth does Guru Maharaj tell us that we must do kirtan in a certain way.

Fourthly, please do not do Beadbi of the kirtan by telling the other veerji to post PROPER KIRTAN.What are you trying to imply by this?Are you trying to say that the kirtan done by those Gursikhs are not proper?Just because you do not like it does not mean that the kirtan becomes improper.

Bhul Chuk Maf ?

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh,

Sorry I was not talking about the website, but more about the youtube channel. So I am complaining about the youtube channel. So I am not attacking the veerji who made website, only disappointed in the contributors for the youtube channel.  I am complaining that an exclusive keertan style is being promoted over Raag-respectful keertan for the YouTube channel, and this was the reason I was giving for not suscribing.

I did see some Raag content such as this:

However the youtube channel is mostly promoting anti-raag content and personalities. Also the Website banner is promoting personalities associated with anti-raag keertan performances

Keertan maryada was started by Guru Nanak and Bhai Mardana ji. Proper maryada of keertan started then, but has been practised by all 10 Gurus, and new instruments were created by Gurus to propagate this maryada! Also Guru Granth Sahib has Raag written before banis. 

To be honest I consider some of the keertan done by some jatha personalities as beadbi, because some keertanis go crazy and sometimes sangat starts making animal noise, this is very bad! I remember there may have been topics on this forum as well when some make these noises, some sound tracks were posted, and some people uploaded stuff to youtube. 

Keertan should be performed by those who have taken time to respect the Raags, and taken time to practise. Why should I go on stage and start doing whatever tunes I like in front of Guru Granth Sahib maharaj, why should I use my manmatt? I am not the one doing beadbi of keertan. TO be honest, it doesn't sound much like keertan and more like dunyavi-geet, dubbed over with gurbani. It just cannot compare to the Raag keertan...

What example is this giving to sangat, having these personalities being created, they will make sangat lazy and also not respect raags and not take time and efforts to learn keertan. Just teaches us to go on stage and perform any tunes, just do any manmatt! Why are we promoting these personalities on social media and youtube?

There are organisations in India and UK trying to preserve the Raag keertan, and then we get these youtube channels being promoted which is detrimental to preserving our sikh keertan maryada, started by Guru Nanak Dev!

End of the day: if keertani personalities aren't going to take the time and effort to respect and learn keertan and raags, then why should we take our time to respect and listen to the keertan performances and go to smagams featuring these personalities? And why would I respect channels and websites promoting them? I prefer sewa done for those who have real pyaar, true pyaar for keertan, not these keertani superstars!!! actually why are we promoting these keertan ROCKSTARS SUPERSTARS and causing the detriment of panthic raag keertan? WHY?? WHY???

Dhan Guru Nanak!

Vaheguru ji ka khalsa Vaheguru ji ki fateh

I understand what you mean veerji and I agree it is important to preserve raag but earlier in your post it sounded as if you were attacking veerji but since you clarified that your not I am sorry for misunderstanding you on that.I also agree with you that both types of kirtan cannot be compared with each other.But again I feel that the purpose of the youtube channels were not to get rid of the raag maryada.They were just sharing videos of the other types of kirtan but their intention is not to put one type of kirtan over another.For example I like AKJ kirtan but at the same time I enjoy hearing raag kirtan as well so I think you misunderstood the intention of the ur channels.But anyway let's not spam this topic.We can create a new thread solely for this discussion.

Edit:Veerji edit your post and add a last sentence saying that you want me to create a thread if you want to continue this discussion.

Bhul Chuk Maf

14 minutes ago, Shaheed4life said:

hey were just sharing videos of the other types of kirtan but their intention is not to put one type of kirtan over another.So I think you misunderstood the intention of the ur channels.But anyway let's not spam this topic.We can create a new thread solely for this discussion.

If you see their all their youtube posts on this thread, they only posted the youtube videos for the one type of keertan.

If you go the website, the 2 keertan performers are also famous for performing this type of keertan.

So unfortunately, there is strong evidence for them being biased towards this keertan. I do understand they upload keertan and katha from sikhs outside the jatha. But the jatha and jathebandi exclusivity can unfortunately be strongly seen, and I cannot ignore this, and this strongly helps me not subscribe to their youtube channel!

Token gestures towards raag keertan is not good enough. You can invite a raag keertani to play for a short while at a smagam along with the other performers. token gesture is just not enough compared to taking time to respect and learn keertan and raags! So please all, just wake up.

EDIT: I do not need to create another thread, I can probably find one already discussing this topic on this forum.

However I came on strong to this thread because it is a sticky, and promoting anti-raag keertan, and also the fact that there is no sticky for raag keertan. So I had strong reasons to post in here!

Ignore this guy. There are already many institutions and YouTube channels supporting Gurmat Sangeet.

Guru Sahib never forbade non-Raag kirtan. Rather many Sikhs from this group you claim to be "anti-raag" have learned Raag from an Ustaad. There is no way you can do proper Kirtan without learning some type or form of Raag. There is no such thing as "anti-raag", it is a strawman argument.

Instead of complaining on an internet forum, what have you done? Have you gone out and learned Raag? Are you trying to learn the traditional instruments like the Dilruba, Saranda, Taus, Rabab, Jorri, etc.? There are many ustaads now teaching Gurmat Sangeet and much literature published on the topic that there is no excuse to say Raag is dying or is dead.

On 8/7/2020 at 12:37 AM, FreshMind13 said:

Ignore this guy. There are already many institutions and YouTube channels supporting Gurmat Sangeet.

Guru Sahib never forbade non-Raag kirtan. Rather many Sikhs from this group you claim to be "anti-raag" have learned Raag from an Ustaad. There is no way you can do proper Kirtan without learning some type or form of Raag. There is no such thing as "anti-raag", it is a strawman argument.

Instead of complaining on an internet forum, what have you done? Have you gone out and learned Raag? Are you trying to learn the traditional instruments like the Dilruba, Saranda, Taus, Rabab, Jorri, etc.? There are many ustaads now teaching Gurmat Sangeet and much literature published on the topic that there is no excuse to say Raag is dying or is dead.

Why ignore me? Do my arguments hurt you?

I am trying to learn the traditional instruments.

However most gurdwaras in London only want to teach harmonium and play harmonium at their functions. Also many people online, some gurdwaras and london uni sikh societies want to promote these rockstar keertan performer smagams instead of Raag. 

IF you keep your raag vidiya hidden and want to do rock instead to please the desires and vikaars of manmukhs and court rockstar superstar fame, then that is being anti-raag!

Raag keertan is still in the minority, teachers are in the minority. Most of the stuff promoted is what performers think is better because of ego and fame, instead of Raag. Many sikhs do not know about Raag or never got the chance to listen, because of these personalities. Naamdharis are doing a much better job than mainstream panth. Harmonium is being promoted everywhere instead of raag tanti saaj instruments!

Look end of the day, they want us to subscribe, and I don't want to because they prefer to promote certain rockstar personalities instead of proper Raagis!

Last time I went to a university keertan darbar in West London, and they were mostly promoting this style of keertan, and ignoring Raag, I did complain! I am willing to do something offline and online! I am not intimidated by any jathe or BOSS or any other organisations when it comes to preserving maryada, and I don't like how they confuse young students by not showing them how really keertan sounds like!

On another note, this rockstar keertanis should try electric guitars, I would love to hear what this sounds like, might attract more sangat?! I think there was a keertani in Australia who use sounds like didgeridoo and other instruments in his keertan. Maybe a keertani can pick this up?

• 1 month later...
On 8/6/2020 at 7:52 PM, ipledgeblue said:

Why ignore me? Do my arguments hurt you?

I am trying to learn the traditional instruments.

However most gurdwaras in London only want to teach harmonium and play harmonium at their functions. Also many people online, some gurdwaras and london uni sikh societies want to promote these rockstar keertan performer smagams instead of Raag. 

IF you keep your raag vidiya hidden and want to do rock instead to please the desires and vikaars of manmukhs and court rockstar superstar fame, then that is being anti-raag!

Raag keertan is still in the minority, teachers are in the minority. Most of the stuff promoted is what performers think is better because of ego and fame, instead of Raag. Many sikhs do not know about Raag or never got the chance to listen, because of these personalities. Naamdharis are doing a much better job than mainstream panth. Harmonium is being promoted everywhere instead of raag tanti saaj instruments!

Look end of the day, they want us to subscribe, and I don't want to because they prefer to promote certain rockstar personalities instead of proper Raagis!

Last time I went to a university keertan darbar in West London, and they were mostly promoting this style of keertan, and ignoring Raag, I did complain! I am willing to do something offline and online! I am not intimidated by any jathe or BOSS or any other organisations when it comes to preserving maryada, and I don't like how they confuse young students by not showing them how really keertan sounds like!

On another note, this rockstar keertanis should try electric guitars, I would love to hear what this sounds like, might attract more sangat?! I think there was a keertani in Australia who use sounds like didgeridoo and other instruments in his keertan. Maybe a keertani can pick this up?

Thank you for your points veerjee. 

Most of the videos we have may be certain "style" we agree. But we do promote ALL and have many playlists on Raag darbars. Please see below some examples for you. 

We do not disagree with some of your points but putting down ANY form of gurmat keertan is not right. 

Basant Raag Darbar Washington 2020 (26 videos)

Indianpolis Raag Darbar September 2019 (12 videos)

Toronto Raag Darbar February 2019 (5 videos)

On 8/6/2020 at 7:28 AM, ipledgeblue said:

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh,

Sorry I was not talking about the website, but more about the youtube channel. So I am complaining about the youtube channel. So I am not attacking the veerji who made website, only disappointed in the contributors for the youtube channel.  I am complaining that an exclusive keertan style is being promoted over Raag-respectful keertan for the YouTube channel, and this was the reason I was giving for not suscribing.

I did see some Raag content such as this:

However the youtube channel is mostly promoting anti-raag content and personalities. Also the Website banner is promoting personalities associated with anti-raag keertan performances

Keertan maryada was started by Guru Nanak and Bhai Mardana ji. Proper maryada of keertan started then, but has been practised by all 10 Gurus, and new instruments were created by Gurus to propagate this maryada! Also Guru Granth Sahib has Raag written before banis. 

To be honest I consider some of the keertan done by some jatha personalities as beadbi, because some keertanis go crazy and sometimes sangat starts making animal noise, this is very bad! I remember there may have been topics on this forum as well when some make these noises, some sound tracks were posted, and some people uploaded stuff to youtube. 

Keertan should be performed by those who have taken time to respect the Raags, and taken time to practise. Why should I go on stage and start doing whatever tunes I like in front of Guru Granth Sahib maharaj, why should I use my manmatt? I am not the one doing beadbi of keertan. TO be honest, it doesn't sound much like keertan and more like dunyavi-geet, dubbed over with gurbani. It just cannot compare to the Raag keertan...

What example is this giving to sangat, having these personalities being created, they will make sangat lazy and also not respect raags and not take time and efforts to learn keertan. Just teaches us to go on stage and perform any tunes, just do any manmatt! Why are we promoting these personalities on social media and youtube?

There are organisations in India and UK trying to preserve the Raag keertan, and then we get these youtube channels being promoted which is detrimental to preserving our sikh keertan maryada, started by Guru Nanak Dev!

End of the day: if keertani personalities aren't going to take the time and effort to respect and learn keertan and raags, then why should we take our time to respect and listen to the keertan performances and go to smagams featuring these personalities? And why would I respect channels and websites promoting them? I prefer sewa done for those who have real pyaar, true pyaar for keertan, not these keertani superstars!!! actually why are we promoting these keertan ROCKSTARS SUPERSTARS and causing the detriment of panthic raag keertan? WHY?? WHY???

Dhan Guru Nanak!

FYI, our banner has Bibi Guneet Kaur Ji on there a prominent keertani that does raag 

If you have any raag keertan audio or video that isnt up anywhere please message us and we will add it. 

Our SoundCloud account we have A LOT more raag keertan on there by Bhai Avtar Singh Ji Ragi and other prominent raag keertanis. There's more audio cassettes out there vs videos in general.