Mixed Marriages, I.j. Singh And Guruka Singh Views Analyzed

Akalifauj

From a certain date onwards anyone who takes Amrit should have their picture taken on the day they took Pahul, and in the picture they should be holding that day's newspaper clearly showing that particular day's headline, you know, like those weight loss before and after pictures, lmao.

I actually wouldn't put it past some people to fake Gursikhi (externally at least) in order to bypass the requirement. But, knowing some Sikh females as we do (in terms of their motivations and how their brains work), I believe they want to look their Bollywood best for their photographs at the Gurdwara post-Anand Karaj, decked out in her red lengha, her head barely covered, her face made up with enough cosmetics to kill a small army of rabbits. Therefore, a genuine Gursikh bibi would be adorned in blue and will be wearing a dastaar, whilst the girl pretending to be Gursikh will baulk at the idea of that type of getup on her big day. It'll ruin her precious photos! She won't be able to go through with it!

I've given this too much thought. :/

I can think of a few, but as you said, they're all illegal.

Hmmn, not quite laying this down as a solution, but I'm inclined to agree with MisterrSingh. The only way we could ever be sure that the prospective bride and groom are practicing Sikhs is if they are Amritdhari.

Maybe, but that might generate an even worse problem. If it becomes mandatory for budding couples to have received Pahul, is it possible that non-Sikhs might take Amrit so that they can then marry a Sikh? How will these infiltrators be weeded out? A test? We will just run into the same problem all over again. Perhaps we should just make the whole thing so protracted and complicated for those not of our people that the non-Sikh decides they would rather bail and give up than continue with the marriage, lol.

Perhaps applicants should be asked to demonstrate their loyalty to the Sikh faith by undertaking some task on its behalf. However, I can't for the life of me think of any decent ones which don't involve breaking at least one law.

Perhaps couples hoping to get an Anand Karaj could take a course (done at the Gurdwara) which would outline not only the basic of Sikhism and its rehit, but also the importance and meaning of the Laavan.

Perhaps couples hoping to get an Anand Karaj could take a course (done at the Gurdwara) which would outline not only the basic of Sikhism and its rehit, but also the importance and meaning of the Laavan.

You do realise thats wat they r doin thugger, thats wat i said initally on other topics n threads. 'misterrsingh' jus scoffed at the idea. Jagraj singh frm basic of sikhi has been sayin this for a loooong time. Prior to wedding, every1 (sikh/non sikh) must do an anand karaj course. Its wat the sikh council have now proposed now too.

If I was a white guy who wanted to marry a Sikh girl and all I had to do was memorise verses from the Sikh scriptures and regurgitate them infront of a priest in order to make the marriage official, I'd struggle to keep a straight face.

You make it sound like it is easy to memorise Gurbani. A person without faith will find this task tough (aakhan aukha sacha nao), especially if like I said on a previous post the bare minimum should be to ensure they both memorise Japji Sahib and in a perfect world full Nitnem. The latter would of course be leaning towards both being Amritdhari which I am also pro.

Akal Takhat pass a universal ruling that only those who've taken Amrit can have an Anand Karaj.

Sir you are on the path of brahmins , then next you will say Only amritdhari can enter darbar hall ,Only amritdhari can read Guru Granth Sahib , Only Amritdhari can have langar at gurudwara .

This is not Sikhi ,Guru Granth sahibji is not for so called "Sikhs" only .its universal thats why Guru sahib included the contribution from Hindus ,Muslim ....You ppl are doing just opposite ,you are doing beadbi of Guru Sahib .

I don't get it. Whats the issue here? If the non Sikh that is wanting to marry the Sikh is willing to convert, is that ok? Why is this test suggested?

I think it's more for the people who don't want to convert, but end up going along with their Sikh partner in order to fulfil a religious obligation to him / her and their family. Basically, blind adherence to a "ritual" that holds no meaning to either party, but one that's seen as "the thing to do" because it's always been done. The same mentality, it could be argued, is shared by Panjabi Sikhs, but then that's why I think if we are having a test, it should be for everyone.

BTW, when would this test occur? On the wedding day itself? And what would happen if the test was failed? Would the granthi send everyone home? Would there be a re-test?

I think it's more for the people who don't want to convert, but end up going along with their Sikh partner in order to fulfil a religious obligation to him / her and their family. Basically, blind adherence to a "ritual" that holds no meaning to either party, but one that's seen as "the thing to do" because it's always been done. The same mentality, it could be argued, is shared by Panjabi Sikhs, but then that's why I think if we are having a test, it should be for everyone.

BTW, when would this test occur? On the wedding day itself? And what would happen if the test was failed? Would the granthi send everyone home? Would there be a re-test?

If they don't want to convert, why is there even a conversation on allowing the marriage to be allowed in the Gurdwara at all? I always thought the reason for not allowing such marriages in the first place is that because one of the partners are not Sikhs.