Pronunciation Of Gurbani Help

gsingh9

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

I'm having trouble reading all banis now, I'm worried whether my pronunciation is good enough, after hearing stories about how important pronunciation of Gurbani is I'm doubting myself a lot. After reading Japji Sahib my mind feels fried and I find no peace when reciting any bani.

I mainly read my banis with the audio as it would be quicker for me to do, but if I try to do Japji Sahib myself it takes me about 40 minutes. I've used online videos to do Santhiya but still my mind is worrying about the pronunciation, and it is making it so difficult to do even do mool mantar with peace. I feel like the way I'm going now is not good and sustainable as this is happening for over a year now.

I would really appreciate some advice.

Im sorry if I wasted you time.

Bul chuk maf

Sat Sri Akaal

Do u read out aloud with the audio? Try reading urself as the audio is playing but as if u are talking to God urself and they are sitting in front of you. You are concentrating too much on how to pronounce rather than doing it with relaxed loving flow. Not that you aren't doing with love, but u are aware of the pronounciation more. You are trying to perfect it so much that it's stressing you out and you probably go back and repeat the lines that you feel u have not pronounced properly.

If you read the written romanised version along with the audio it should help.

Sehje sehje don't worry about how long you have been doing it for, just understand the translation and it the pronounciation will come naturally.

Also listen to others reciting Gurbani in Gurmukhi such as YouTube videos and read along with them if not out aloud then semi out aloud.

Have you tried these?

Don't feel bad about the pronounciation, God knows you are doing from your soul. So what is more important you do with love? Or just pronounce it properly without the love for God?

Pronounciation alone is not going to spiritually absorb the Gurbani by your soul.

Read the words you struggle on pronouncing slowly, pause in between the letters. And do this way then slowly you will get used to the sound of them and automatically be able to pronounce with ease.

Seriously. Don't go down the road you are treading. If you base you're spiritual life on fear and guilt, you are not going to enjoy your journey. Free yourself of this guilt and understand that God is all loving and you are not going to be punished if you make mistakes. How are you going to enjoy the gurbani in such a paranoid state? Learn to do Paat, but at the same time, don't be afraid to make mistakes. Someone has put the notion in your head that you are not allowed to make mistakes when you recite. Please break free of this barrier and start enjoying your spiritual journey. Trust me...its going to hurt your spirituality if you live in fear.

Excellent point.

A 'Sikh' is a student, and a student is always going to make some mistakes.

I listen to most of my nitnem on audio too brother gsingh ji, so I can be sure how the Bani is supposed to be pronounced. You don't have to read it from a Gutka Sahib, so long as you are receiving the words in some format and contemplating them, the effect is the same. If you are to beware of anything, beware of reciting the Bani like a mindless automaton: never actually considering and putting some thought into what Guru Sahib is saying.

Try and get santhiya lessons

yup. I'll add that while it is no sin to make mistakes, it is a completely different story when you aware of the mistake and still do it. My advice is to seek out a student of the Damdami takhsal. Forget about the "controversy" that some sikh spread about them, their very knowledgeable on proper pronunciation and recitation if Gurbani. In my opinion if any Sikh gets a chance to learrn Santhiya they should seize that opportunity like there is no tomorrow

Do u read out aloud with the audio? Try reading urself as the audio is playing but as if u are talking to God urself and they are sitting in front of you. You are concentrating too much on how to pronounce rather than doing it with relaxed loving flow. Not that you aren't doing with love, but u are aware of the pronounciation more. You are trying to perfect it so much that it's stressing you out and you probably go back and repeat the lines that you feel u have not pronounced properly.

If you read the written romanised version along with the audio it should help.

Sehje sehje don't worry about how long you have been doing it for, just understand the translation and it the pronounciation will come naturally.

Also listen to others reciting Gurbani in Gurmukhi such as YouTube videos and read along with them if not out aloud then semi out aloud.

Have you tried these?

Don't feel bad about the pronounciation, God knows you are doing from your soul. So what is more important you do with love? Or just pronounce it properly without the love for God?

Pronounciation alone is not going to spiritually absorb the Gurbani by your soul.

Read the words you struggle on pronouncing slowly, pause in between the letters. And do this way then slowly you will get used to the sound of them and automatically be able to pronounce with ease.

I used to read out aloud but think that annoyed my family, it was much easier when reading out aloud.

I just started watching the Katha by Basics of Sikhi.

Thanks for replying :)

Excellent point.

A 'Sikh' is a student, and a student is always going to make some mistakes.

I listen to most of my nitnem on audio too brother gsingh ji, so I can be sure how the Bani is supposed to be pronounced. You don't have to read it from a Gutka Sahib, so long as you are receiving the words in some format and contemplating them, the effect is the same. If you are to beware of anything, beware of reciting the Bani like a mindless automaton: never actually considering and putting some thought into what Guru Sahib is saying.

Thanks Veerji for replying, when I listen to banis my mind wonders a lot and I feel like if nothing went in.

Like other posters have said you need to enjoy and absorb Gurbani too, there's no point doing with guilt or fear. God is nirbhau nirvair,

It may help to do mool mantar to an audio tune that you can connect to, thus creating the positivity and you will focus on vibes of the shabad, and the pronounciation will be easier to learn.

Don't rush it just go with the flow.

Seek Waheguru jis blessings, they are the true one that will help you.

Ps: (btw I'm a penji.)

Try and get santhiya lessons

yup. I'll add that while it is no sin to make mistakes, it is a completely different story when you aware of the mistake and still do it. My advice is to seek out a student of the Damdami takhsal. Forget about the "controversy" that some sikh spread about them, their very knowledgeable on proper pronunciation and recitation if Gurbani. In my opinion if any Sikh gets a chance to learrn Santhiya they should seize that opportunity like there is no tomorrow

I don't know how to read Gurmukhi, isn't that helpful for when learning Santhiya.

I regret not learning Santhiya before, but now I'm going in my final year at uni and don't think I will have enough free time.