Should Sikhs Stand When Judge Enters?

MAJHAIL_JATT

Since we believe all humans are equal why should we stand for a judge and put him on some pedestal like he is superior to us? I even see goray bowing before this mortal wearing a robe... to me it's ridiculous. Sikh should bow or stand for no one except Waheguru.

Only reason I think Sikh's should comply is under duress because of the threat of violence and kidnapping if you don't comply.

U kno, kind of reminds me of how, whenever sikhs go to buckingham palace, to receive an obe/mbe/cbe/knighthood from the queen, NO sikh should ever ever ever bow their head to a manmade badshah/king/queen, only to the real royalty, SGGS ji. Reminds me of a scene in the 'shaheed udham singh' film, where chardi kalah young singhs refused 2 sing and bow their heads to king george, on his birthday. Watchin this scene, made me feel so proud.

Go to 1hour 27mins, for that scene below.

https://youtu.be/rIcnAv1-bUE

Guest Jacfsing2

In some cultures they just bow it's the way they are. Like Japanese people bow just to say hello, but it's not a Makhta Tekh. I've never actually bowed to a judge or stood-up to see someone of power, but maybe that's the same reason.

In response to the OP above:

"Since we believe all humans are equal why should we stand for a judge and put him on some pedestal like he is superior to us? I even see goray bowing before this mortal wearing a robe... to me it's ridiculous. Sikh should bow or stand for no one except Waheguru.Only reason I think Sikh's should comply is under duress because of the threat of violence and kidnapping if you don't comply."

Bowing ones head is known as the 'courtroom etiquette' required by the 'Code of Judicial Conduct And Etiquette' or the judicial protocol, disobedience of which can lead to contempt of the court rules!! We are not doing a matha tek. .

So, yes, we should stand up to be polite and to show respect to his office. A judge is crucial for a case to be decided, therefore a judge has to be treated with utmost decorum for he/she is the only one that knows how to apply the necessary law. Without him/her who will apply the law, interpret it, interpret the statutory law, direct the jury, raise eyebrows, give opinion, keep order in the courtroom, lay down the precedent or give judgement and deliver a concluding speech which sums up the case? No one!!

In response to the OP above:

"Since we believe all humans are equal why should we stand for a judge and put him on some pedestal like he is superior to us? I even see goray bowing before this mortal wearing a robe... to me it's ridiculous. Sikh should bow or stand for no one except Waheguru.Only reason I think Sikh's should comply is under duress because of the threat of violence and kidnapping if you don't comply."

Bowing ones head is known as the 'courtroom etiquette' required by the 'Code of Judicial Conduct And Etiquette' or the judicial protocol, disobedience of which can lead to contempt of the court rules!! We are not doing a matha tek. .

So, yes, we should stand up to be polite and to show respect to his office. A judge is crucial for a case to be decided, therefore a judge has to be treated with utmost decorum for he/she is the only one that knows how to apply the necessary law. Without him/her who will apply the law, interpret it, interpret the statutory law, direct the jury, raise eyebrows, give opinion, keep order in the courtroom, lay down the precedent or give judgement and deliver a concluding speech which sums up the case? No one!!

They never taught this at the law academy, I wonder why? Only joking.

There is actually precedence for this. I remember when I was doing my dissertation research years ago coming across something about a Singh who was up against either a Magistrate or judge in a district court. I can't remember what court it was but for some reason Oxford rings a belll. I also can't remember which year it was, but I'm pretty sure it was either the 1960's or 1970's. Anyway, the Singh turned his back on the Court and when he was threatened with contempt of court he voicefully articulated that he only recognises his Guru as his superior and will not acknowledge the authority of any man. Anyway, in that case the judge did not find him in contempt and allowed the Singh to turn his back on him.

I've tried doing a quick internet search for it but couldn't find anything so will, when and if I get time, look through some of my old notes for more details.