Sikhs Tv Channels

Big_Tera

There's a sort of irony in all this. The older Generation push younger Sikhs towards Sikhism. Which is good, but when the younger Sikhs point out inconsistencies and wrong doings in the older generation, their suddenly considered naive idiots. Shocking.

When the young ones are older then time will tell what they can do. I don't like the phrase get the old ones out either, they are funny but I say in a sincere way. And we must understand some may not have the standard of education one requires to see, but they are not unintelligent, some have are very intelligent and have years of experience of life, which the young ones don't. I just don't like one program that's all.

Instead of saying get rid of them, young ones should find ways to work alongside them, and vice versa. Young and old need each other to flourish in life.

When the young ones are older then time will tell what they can do. I don't like the phrase get the old ones out either, they are funny but I say in a sincere way. And we must understand some may not have the standard of education one requires to see, but they are not unintelligent, some have are very intelligent and have years of experience of life, which the young ones don't. I just don't like one program that's all.

Instead of saying get rid of them, young ones should find ways to work alongside them, and vice versa. Young and old need each other to flourish in life.

Thing is benji. Most (not all mind you) of the people who run such organizations don't want independent thinkers. They want a "Yes" machine, They'd rather have people who agree with everything they say than someone who will challenge them and if necessary correct them.

Hanji u are both right, Kira ji and Balkaar ji. I then suggest their relatives and youth in their extended families communicate with them to be willing to listen to the youth and negotiate to create new methods and give sangat opportunities to connect to Gurbani.

Although there are some gurdwaras that work with the youth and create a great atmosphere at the Gurdwara, but I guess it depends what area one is from too.

Bhenji,

Back in the day, our elderly rishtedhar used to go to work, come home, eat and watch some TV, then fall asleep. That was all. For five decades. And when they finally retired, did they decide to travel the world or immerse themselves in literature or Gurbani? Nope, they allotted their newfound spare time to watching some more of those mindless Indian soap operas. What little remained of their grey matter fizzled away completely.

Years count for nothing if they are wasted in idleness. Take any naujaawan out of the Sangat and I'll bet you that he or she knows twenty times as much about any given topic than most of the old men or women present.

The main reason the naujaawan will know more is only because of technology advancing and more learning is available at the gurdwaras, classes etc, which the older generation did not have access to. Also there was libraries, but how many had Gurbani related books, materials? Probably none. I think the young ones need to help the elders with that side of knowledge (the ones that do not have it).

Younger ones are more intelligent to use Internet, etc that's the reason they gain the knowledge, and use this gift also to educate the elder ones.

To make change the elder ones should be willing to learn, listen and compromise with each other. There needs to be a balance. I think each committee should have a mix of elder and younger members of sangat, not just one age group, and both genders.

The main reason the naujaawan will know more is only because of technology advancing and more learning is available at the gurdwaras, classes etc, which the older generation did not have access to. Also there was libraries, but how many had Gurbani related books, materials? Probably none. I think the young ones need to help the elders with that side of knowledge (the ones that do not have it).

Younger ones are more intelligent to use Internet, etc that's the reason they gain the knowledge, and use this gift also to educate the elder ones.

To make change the elder ones should be willing to learn, listen and compromise with each other. There needs to be a balance. I think each committee should have a mix of elder and younger members of sangat, not just one age group, and both genders.

Definitely because of the internet, and the ability to speak the English language.

Shouldn't let those Bazurgs off the hook too quickly though. The Gurdware have been selling books in Gurmukhi for years. So has the Sikh Missionary Society in Old Southall. I've tried to shake my grandparents out of their depressing tedium by convincing them to go and get some books. I've never succeeded.

Although I agree with most of the sentiments covered over the last posts regarding our Sikh Channels, I think we should take a step back and be thankful for the good they have created i.e. a lot of people have turned to Sikhi from watching the channels, we have more awareness regarding utter injustice we've faced since and before 1984, current issues that occur are instantly communicated quickly etc etc.

Like other areas, the channels and even other media need to meet regularly to build consensus and strategies on parchar, awareness of current issues and worthy causes. At the moment... well... read the above posts!

Definitely because of the internet, and the ability to speak the English language.

Shouldn't let those Bazurgs off the hook too quickly though. The Gurdware have been selling books in Gurmukhi for years. So has the Sikh Missionary Society in Old Southall. I've tried to shake my grandparents out of their depressing tedium by convincing them to go and get some books. I've never succeeded.

Hanji Gurdwaras do have the literature, but paji, you see when one is used a way of life for most of their years, then it's kind of not easy to make that shift. Be it due to anxiety to want to change or not being able to comprehend as much as one is younger. It's because they are so used to a certain way that they immediately think no, they do not want to change. But the generation after them has the opportunity to as age does make a big difference. Their college schools days are over, no offence but it's like that expression "You can lead a horse to water (but you can't make him/her/it drink)."

If anything the only thing that will work is sincerity, love and compassion.