Sign in to follow this  
KhoonKaBadlaKhoon

Khalistan/sikh Sangharsh Movies.

In the past fews I'm sure everyone has noticed an increase in movies about this topic, and like many others I support the idea of making a few movies regarding this topic. However, too say it plainly, basically every movie made sucks. The editing is horrible, the acting is subpar and usualy filled with corny dialogue, and unnecessary love stories involved. Diljit Dosanjhs 1984 was made 10x better, if the movie had shown kharkus in more positive light, it'd be a complete hit. While other punjabi movies attract a lot of young people, these movies attract barely any because of the reasons above. Is it possible some producers purposely throw out a medicore film, hoping it'll be a hit simply by exploitation of the topic? We've already had 3 such movies I think this year, in for one or two,

• Like 1

Give these same producers a subject matter such as the Holocaust in WW2 or the Rwandan genocide, and they'll still see fit to put their "unique" stamp on it. It's just quick money spinners now that they've realised there's an appetite for such films.

Guest Jacfsing2

The way these movies are designed ensure that they can spend the least money possible for huge profit because it sells an agenda of hope. Not just these movies but movies that in general are meant to educate people like a documentary.

Give these same producers a subject matter such as the Holocaust in WW2 or the Rwandan genocide, and they'll still see fit to put their "unique" stamp on it. It's just quick money spinners now that they've realised there's an appetite for such films.

The appetite is dying very quickly now lol. But I see people like Raj Kakra, who actually seem genuine, another part of me is thinking perhaps they just can't get the funding?

The way these movies are designed ensure that they can spend the least money possible for huge profit because it sells an agenda of hope. Not just these movies but movies that in general are meant to educate people like a documentary.

I've seen plenty of non-punjabi movies that are about recent history and are relatively well made. If its possible for other people, should be possible for us too! But our people are often overtaken by greed.

I've seen plenty of non-punjabi movies that are about recent history and are relatively well made. If its possible for other people, should be possible for us too! But our people are often overtaken by greed.

Some of the blame lies with the audience too. Try making a Punjabi film minus any melodrama or songs - even on a subject such as the attempted genocide of a entire race of people - and do you anticipate the old uncles and aunties will go and see such a film? Sad but true.

Some of the blame lies with the audience too. Try making a Punjabi film minus any melodrama or songs - even on a subject such as the attempted genocide of a entire race of people - and do you anticipate the old uncles and aunties will go and see such a film? Sad but true.

Its how they do Movies now. I miss the old Punjabi movies. Now they add so much music, or humor in sad movies or tragedies. Nanak Naam Jahaz, thats the old movie I really like.

You have a point, but the new movie Angrej shows there is a way to have songs in your movie without the usual throwing in a 5 min song at random points of the movie. Regardless of that these producers should target the youth. The two most well made movies of this genre, Hawayein and Punjab 1984 were loved by the youth. These movies are the by far the best way to educate the youth, and I think a good movie of this genre would do wonders.

Guest Jacfsing2

Did you want a movie like Kaum De Heere? Not exactly Khalistani related but it still shows some Shaheeds for the Panth.

Did you want a movie like Kaum De Heere? Not exactly Khalistani related but it still shows some Shaheeds for the Panth.

Witch: "beant singh, yeh kya kar rehe ho?"

Shaheed Beant singh: "akal takht da badla madam!!!"

Thats the type of movie I'm referring to bro. Subpar acting at best, corny dialogue, horrible editing, people spend more time laughing at the movie than paying attention. Those movies only impress the older viewers who have no clue what a well made movie really is lol.

• Like 1

Thats the type of movie I'm referring to bro. Subpar acting at best, corny dialogue, horrible editing, people spend more time laughing at the movie than paying attention. Those movies only impress the older viewers who have no clue what a well made movie really is lol.

These movies are not for the western Sikh audience although now that these movies are being banned in India the producers will have to consider catering more for the western Sikh audience as this is where they will likely recoup their investment.

Whatever your thoughts on the artistic merit of these films, one thing that cannot be argued against is that they have led to Sikhs gaining more knowledge about the events that happened in the 80s and 90s. This can only be a good thing especially as the whole Indian education system and media is gearing towards either ignoring these events or painting these events to suit their own ends.

• Like 2

These movies are not for the western Sikh audience although now that these movies are being banned in India the producers will have to consider catering more for the western Sikh audience as this is where they will likely recoup their investment.

Whatever your thoughts on the artistic merit of these films, one thing that cannot be argued against is that they have led to Sikhs gaining more knowledge about the events that happened in the 80s and 90s. This can only be a good thing especially as the whole Indian education system and media is gearing towards either ignoring these events or painting these events to suit their own ends.

If they're not for us, then why are they showing these movies more and more in cinemas across Canada, US, UK, and Australia? Just to make an extra buck or two off of us while they can?

There is really no way to judge or estimate just how much more knowledge the masses have gained from these movies...

At the end of the article is says:

Sunny Deol's 'Singh Saab the Great' (2013)): Only Takht jathedars can be addressed as Singh Sahib

Is this true? Is it kinda like wearing a farla without doing any seva or something?

Edited by GurburAkal

If they're not for us, then why are they showing these movies more and more in cinemas across Canada, US, UK, and Australia? Just to make an extra buck or two off of us while they can?

There is really no way to judge or estimate just how much more knowledge the masses have gained from these movies...

The majority of the US, Canada and even more so for Australia are recently from Punjab so it would make sense for them to show films in a manner that would resonate with them.

• Like 1