Upon the supreme importance of Naam Bhakti

Dhan Dhan Satguru Amar Das Maharaj tells us in His Bani, Raag Sorath, something on the supreme importance of the devotion of Naam.

ਨਾਨਕ ਨਾਮੁ ਨ ਚੇਤਨੀ ਅਗਿਆਨੀ ਅੰਧੁਲੇ ਅਵਰੇ ਕਰਮ ਕਮਾਹਿ

Naanak Naam N Chaethanee Agiaanee Andhhulae Avarae Karam Kamaahi

नानक नामु न चेतनी अगिआनी अंधुले अवरे करम कमाहि

O Nanak, the blind, ignorant fools do not remember the Naam, the Name of the Lord; they involve themselves in other activities.

He says, they are fools, blind and moorakhs, those who do not meditate on the Naam, but proudly engage themselves in all other sort of activities and rituals as substitutes for this real bhakti.

Then He says:

ਜਮ ਦਰਿ ਬਧੇ ਮਾਰੀਅਹਿ ਫਿਰਿ ਵਿਸਟਾ ਮਾਹਿ ਪਚਾਹਿ

Jam Dhar Badhhae Maareeahi Fir Visattaa Maahi Pachaahi

जम दरि बधे मारीअहि फिरि विसटा माहि पचाहि

They are bound and gagged at the door of the Messenger of Death; they are punished, and in the end, they rot away in manure.

This means, these stupid manmukhs, are severly punished by the messengers of Kal / death, for wasting away the present blessed opprtunity by Wahiguru on us, for the only purpose of devoting ourselves at His Lotus feet, through Gurmat, which is :

Ik Oankar, Satgur Parsad, Jap.

There is only one Lord, who is realized and met by His Simran/Jap.

Sat Sree Akal.

On 14 November 2015 at 4:10 PM, harsharan000 said:

Upon the supreme importance of Naam Bhakti

Dhan Dhan Satguru Amar Das Maharaj tells us in His Bani, Raag Sorath, something on the supreme importance of the devotion of Naam.

ਨਾਨਕ ਨਾਮੁ ਨ ਚੇਤਨੀ ਅਗਿਆਨੀ ਅੰਧੁਲੇ ਅਵਰੇ ਕਰਮ ਕਮਾਹਿ

Naanak Naam N Chaethanee Agiaanee Andhhulae Avarae Karam Kamaahi

नानक नामु न चेतनी अगिआनी अंधुले अवरे करम कमाहि

O Nanak, the blind, ignorant fools do not remember the Naam, the Name of the Lord; they involve themselves in other activities.

He says, they are fools, blind and moorakhs, those who do not meditate on the Naam, but proudly engage themselves in all other sort of activities and rituals as substitutes for this real bhakti.

Then He says:

ਜਮ ਦਰਿ ਬਧੇ ਮਾਰੀਅਹਿ ਫਿਰਿ ਵਿਸਟਾ ਮਾਹਿ ਪਚਾਹਿ

Jam Dhar Badhhae Maareeahi Fir Visattaa Maahi Pachaahi

जम दरि बधे मारीअहि फिरि विसटा माहि पचाहि

They are bound and gagged at the door of the Messenger of Death; they are punished, and in the end, they rot away in manure.

This means, these stupid manmukhs, are severly punished by the messengers of Kal / death, for wasting away the present blessed opprtunity by Wahiguru on us, for the only purpose of devoting ourselves at His Lotus feet, through Gurmat, which is :

Ik Oankar, Satgur Parsad, Jap.

There is only one Lord, who is realized and met by His Simran/Jap.

Sat Sree Akal.

Pichle avgun baksh Le Waheguru ??

Bani Guru Guru Hai Bani

ਬਾਣੀ ਗੁਰੂ ਗੁਰੂ ਹੈ ਬਾਣੀ ਵਿਚਿ ਬਾਣੀ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਸਾਰੇ ॥

बाणी गुरू गुरू है बाणी विचि बाणी अम्रितु सारे ॥

Baṇī gurū gurū hai baṇī vicẖ baṇī amriṯ sāre.

Gurbani is the embodiment of the Guru and the Guru is the embodiment of Gurbani. In the whole of Gurbani is contained the Nectar.

ਗੁਰੁ ਬਾਣੀ ਕਹੈ ਸੇਵਕੁ ਜਨੁ ਮਾਨੈ ਪਰਤਖਿ ਗੁਰੂ ਨਿਸਤਾਰੇ ॥੫॥

गुरु बाणी कहै सेवकु जनु मानै परतखि गुरू निसतारे ॥५॥

Gur baṇī kahai sevak jan mānai parṯakẖ gurū nisṯāre. ||5||

If the attendant acts up to what Gurbani enjoys, the Guru in person(verily) saves him.

SGGS Ang 982

?? Dhan Guru Ram Das Ji

I have a question for all you great and lucky people ...how you people afford to fight with all the temptations and distractions of the world and devote yourself to the worshipping of God.?I am so impressed by the knowledge and wisdom you people have and I too want to live a life like you people sre living.Could somebody show me a way?

I have a question for all you great and lucky people ...how you people afford to fight with all the temptations and distractions of the world and devote yourself to the worshipping of God.?I am so impressed by the knowledge and wisdom you people have and I too want to live a life like you people sre living.Could somebody show me a way?

First of all penji kaurp, we are all lucky people, including yourself, Guruji has given the precious and priceless Gurbani to reflect on.

I would not class myself, as a person as great, as I am a sinner. Each soul has their share of Sukh and Dukh, it's not easy.

For some people it's easier for some it would be more difficult, depending on what I've mentioned below.

It hard fighting against the five thieves of Kaam, krodh, lobh, moh, ahankaar. Every soul has different karm, different levels of mental strength according to the situations they are in, different levels of spirituality, and different perceptions of how to deal with distractions of the world.

If one is able to change their situations, then through own decisions and choices where it is possible only, but we do not have complete free will, therefore every soul should be aiming to live within God's will, Hukam, we can only try to live within their Hukam.

I will say, people are able to share advice but nobody can show you the way apart from Waheguru, God. And for that, you should turn to them for guidance. It is Waheguru that graces one to deal with distractions of the world.

Guruji tells us :

ਸਹਸ ਸਿਆਣਪਾ ਲਖ ਹੋਹਿ ਤ ਇਕ ਨ ਚਲੈ ਨਾਲਿ ॥

सहस सिआणपा लख होहि त इक न चलै नालि ॥

Sahas si▫āṇpā lakẖ hohi ṯa ik na cẖalai nāl.

Man may possess thousands and lacs of wits, but not even one (goes with him) avails him in the Lord's court.

ਕਿਵ ਸਚਿਆਰਾ ਹੋਈਐ ਕਿਵ ਕੂੜੈ ਤੁਟੈ ਪਾਲਿ ॥

किव सचिआरा होईऐ किव कूड़ै तुटै पालि ॥

Kiv sacẖi▫ārā ho▫ī▫ai kiv kūrhai ṯutai pāl.

How can we be true and how can the screen of untruth be rent?

ਹੁਕਮਿ ਰਜਾਈ ਚਲਣਾ ਨਾਨਕ ਲਿਖਿਆ ਨਾਲਿ ॥੧॥

हुकमि रजाई चलणा नानक लिखिआ नालि ॥१॥

Hukam rajā▫ī cẖalṇā Nānak likẖi▫ā nāl. ||1||

O Nanak! By obeying, the pre-ordained order of the Lord's will.

ਹੁਕਮੀ ਹੋਵਨਿ ਆਕਾਰ ਹੁਕਮੁ ਨ ਕਹਿਆ ਜਾਈ ॥

हुकमी होवनि आकार हुकमु न कहिआ जाई ॥

Hukmī hovan ākār hukam na kahi▫ā jā▫ī.

By the Lord's order bodies are produced. His order cannot be narrated.

ਹੁਕਮੀ ਹੋਵਨਿ ਜੀਅ ਹੁਕਮਿ ਮਿਲੈ ਵਡਿਆਈ ॥

हुकमी होवनि जीअ हुकमि मिलै वडिआई ॥

Hukmī hovan jī▫a hukam milai vadi▫ā▫ī.

With His fiat the souls come into being and with His fiat greatness is obtained.

ਹੁਕਮੀ ਉਤਮੁ ਨੀਚੁ ਹੁਕਮਿ ਲਿਖਿ ਦੁਖ ਸੁਖ ਪਾਈਅਹਿ ॥

हुकमी उतमु नीचु हुकमि लिखि दुख सुख पाईअहि ॥

Hukmī uṯam nīcẖ hukam likẖ ḏukẖ sukẖ pā▫ī▫ah.

By His command the mortals are make high and low and by His written command they obtain woe and weal.

ਇਕਨਾ ਹੁਕਮੀ ਬਖਸੀਸ ਇਕਿ ਹੁਕਮੀ ਸਦਾ ਭਵਾਈਅਹਿ ॥

इकना हुकमी बखसीस इकि हुकमी सदा भवाईअहि ॥

Iknā hukmī bakẖsīs ik hukmī saḏā bẖavā▫ī▫ah.

Some obtain gifts through His order and some through His order are ever made to wander in transmigration.

ਹੁਕਮੈ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਸਭੁ ਕੋ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਹੁਕਮ ਨ ਕੋਇ ॥

हुकमै अंदरि सभु को बाहरि हुकम न कोइ ॥

Hukmai anḏar sabẖ ko bāhar hukam na ko▫e.

All are subject to His fiat and none is exempt from His fiat.

ਨਾਨਕ ਹੁਕਮੈ ਜੇ ਬੁਝੈ ਤ ਹਉਮੈ ਕਹੈ ਨ ਕੋਇ ॥੨॥

नानक हुकमै जे बुझै त हउमै कहै न कोइ ॥२॥

Nānak hukmai je bujẖai ṯa ha▫umai kahai na ko▫e. ||2||

O Nanak! if man were to understand Lord's fiat, then no one would take pride (speak in ego).

SGGS Ang 1

?? Dhan Guru Nanak Dev ji

Swaasa dee poonjee

All of us are born with our capital of life in the form of swaasas.

This is the most precious or valuable thing which is really ours ...... At our last moments, no amount of any millions of dollars or pounds can get us back eve a single swaas..

So, according to the Bani, if our swaasas are such precious, but even then, if with this bhandaar of wealth, we do not invest it rightly, we shall become loosers.

So, what is it to invest it correctly to gain real profit out of it?

ਸਾਸੁ ਸਾਸੁ ਜਾਇ ਨਾਮੈ ਬਿਨੁ ਸੋ ਬਿਰਥਾ ਸਾਸੁ ਬਿਕਾਰੇ

Saas Saas Jaae Naamai Bin So Birathhaa Saas Bikaarae

सासु सासु जाइ नामै बिनु सो बिरथा सासु बिकारे

Each and every breath which escapes me without the Naam - that breath is useless and corrupt.

Guru Jee, in the line above, is telling us, that if we do not repeat His Naam with each inhalation and exhalation, then, that swaas, that breath, is useless and lost.

On the other hand, if we do His Chintan with each and every breath, we are sowing our seeds in Sach Khand, which will make us go there and have the Fruit of His Darshan, not only that, but with this His devotion, He blends us with Himself.

Sat Sree Akal.