P@ki On Sikh Channel

StarStriker

I've seen hindu guys, paki guys and a gora wearing kara ...I confronted the Gora because he was smoking ...I couldn't stand it .

Now that you mention it: I've seen a few HPs do it (which I can sort of understand to be honest seeing as how they perceive Sikhi and the Gurus - though I'm not an advocate of them doing it - for God's sake either get in or stay out!), a few Paks, a gora and recently a half-caste looking boy, which was new. Actually, I've also noticed a lot of Tamils seem to wear them too?

I've met a couple of apneean that told me that (male) Pak friends of theirs wear them too, and/or have asked them to get a kara for them.....this was good few years ago. They thought I was being racist/paranoid/anti-sullah/silly when I told them about grooming and conversions (the actual term 'grooming' wasn't around then). I wonder what they would think now, in light of all the revelations?

The kara thing is becoming a fashion item for some non-Sikhs who aren't bothered about grooming or converting Sikh girls. Like how white people wear those Arabian desert scarf things that Yasser Arafat use to wear, lol? Those are cool, but they're associated with Islamic culture, so any non Muslim that does wear one looks like silly, lol.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3254581/Woman-forced-marriage-suffers-13-years-violence-hands-husband-raped-beat-didn-t-bear-son.html

logo_mol.gif

Wednesday, Sep 30th 2015 10PM 11°C 1AM 11°C 5-Day Forecast
Woman who was forced into marriage at 16 was raped and beaten for 13 YEARS by her abusive husband who was angry that she hadn't given him a son
  • Sajida, who is in her 30s, was forced into an arranged marriage aged 16
  • She married in Pakistan and the couple moved back to London
  • Her husband was furious when she bore him four daughters and no son
  • Allegedly he tried to poison her and gas her with a cooker
  • Sajida escaped with her daughters, bringing 'shame' to her family

By Sally Beck for MailOnline

Published: 10:59, 30 September 2015 | Updated: 18:54, 30 September 2015

460 shares

View comments

A woman has told how she was subjected to 13 years of violence at the hands of her own husband, who raped her, beat her and tried to poison her.

Sajida, who has Pakistani heritage but lives in Manchester, was forced into marriage with her cousin when she was just 16 and her new husband was 23.

Now in her 30s, Sajida was only 17 when she fell pregnant and went on to have four daughters, which angered her husband as he wished to have boys.

Scroll down for video

2CECE46F00000578-3254581-image-a-1_14436
+4

Sajida, pictured wearing a disguise to protect her identity, has Pakistani heritage but lives in Manchester. She was forced into marriage when she was just 16 and her new husband was 23

The girls were not allowed to play outside or even allowed to laugh.

Despite the abuse, charges against the woman's husband were dropped – something the police said was not uncommon.

Speaking for the first time about her relationship, the woman, known only as Sajida – who wanted to be anonymous to protect her children – said: 'I got pregnant aged 17, but I wish I hadn't because we found out it was a girl and he wanted a boy.

'We couldn't breathe or think properly when he was around. The girls weren't allowed to laugh or giggle, they weren't allowed to play in the front garden in case boys looked at them.

'I was only allowed to leave the house to do things with the children. I wasn't allowed a social life. I was isolated from all my family and friends.

'I survived only because of my girls.'

2CECE27800000578-3254581-image-a-8_14436

Sajida, pictured, endured over a decade of being repeatedly raped and beaten by her violent husband, and her four daughters were not allowed to play or laugh

Sajida said she was only ten years old when she heard rumours she was going to be married.

She said: 'Cousins started telling me but I thought it was banter, a bit of a joke. He was a 16-year-old cousin and lived in Pakistan, where my parents are from. I'd never met him or seen a photo so I just dismissed it. I only knew he was my cousin.'

But the rumours persisted, with uncles, aunties and cousins all talking about it.

Her immediate family said nothing until she was about to take her GCSEs.

'I was 16 when the older generation in my family told me I was going to Pakistan with my father,' she said.

'Cousins told me that I was going away and might be getting married, but my parents never said anything directly to me. I was in the middle of my GCSEs and I couldn't believe it. I thought, "No way am I getting married, they just want to take me for a holiday".

He raped me, there was a lot of mental torture, there was a lot of physical violence

'I was excited to be going away, but in denial that any marriage was going to happen. I thought I would come back and finish my exams.

'I really liked history and English and I'd done work experience in the school office and at a local nursery school. I liked both and was looking forward to getting a career.'

Excitement mounted as the day of the trip approached in 1996, but after she arrived and her marriage was confirmed, she began to panic.

'Everybody was busy organising the wedding. I'd never met any of these people. I thought, "Oh God, this is going ahead",' she said.

'I was told, "If you don't do it, you'll bring shame on the family." I was also told that I could go back to my studies if I listened to them.'

The wedding arrangements whirled around her in a blur, her husband-to-be lurking somewhere in the background, yet to be introduced.

'I was given no choice over wedding dress, shoes, jewellery or husband. Everything was chosen for me,' she said.

She describes her wedding day – when she first met her husband – as devastating, saying she 'cried the whole day' while he remained emotionless.

She knew nothing about sex, but was to lose her virginity that night.

'One of his sisters told me what to expect,' she said. 'The way she said it was shocking and by the time she finished I was feeling quite scared.

2CECE21D00000578-3254581-image-a-9_14436

Sajida, pictured, describes her wedding day – when she first met her husband – as devastating, saying she 'cried the whole day' while he remained emotionless

'That night, after he'd done what he wanted to do, he left me on my own and went out somewhere. He didn't say where. I was left alone, crying and scared, wondering what had just happened.'

She spent three months in Pakistan and was continually forced to have sex. She came home alone and her husband joined her three months later.

From there, she was dragged deeper and deeper into a cycle of brutal abuse.

'He raped me, there was a lot of mental torture, there was a lot of physical violence,' she said.

'I had a knife held to me. Then he got this cable wire and he beat me up and I had scars all over my leg and my back.

'He tried to gas me with the cooker and tried to poison me.'

After her husband beat her whilst she was pregnant with her fourth child, she finally found the courage to dial 999.

Dad cried and says now he wishes he wouldn't have let this happen. But he's my father, he should have protected me

Her husband was charged but Sajida was persuaded to drop the charges by family who used emotional blackmail.

'I was told that a family member with a weak heart would literally die of shame,' she said.

'There was a lot of pressure from family members who said, "Stick by him. What will the community think?"'

But defiant, she found the strength to call police again two years later, after her husband threatened their children, who are now aged between 11 and 18.

'He used to say he was going to sell them off, he was going to marry them off as a lesson for getting him arrested,' she said. 'I didn't want my girls to suffer for the rest of their lives.'

Sajida, who has since returned to her studies and wants to become a nurse, took out injunctions against her husband, and the only time she has seen him since the split was in court to renew injunctions and fight her ex-husband's claim for custody of the children.

She also found the courage to confront her father.

'My dad was under the thumb of his family members,' she said. 'He had to do what they told him and he said he took me abroad just to please them.

'Dad cried and says now he wishes he wouldn't have let this happen. But he's my father, he should have protected me.

'I will never let anything like this happen to my girls.'

Forced marriage has been illegal in the UK since 2014, but thousands of woman and girls just like Sajida, fall victim each year.

Most are engaged before hitting puberty, but some girls are betrothed at birth – with frequently devastating consequences.

The problem mostly affects Asian teenagers and the brave young women who say no, risk isolation, violence and even murder.

2CECE2C500000578-3254581-image-a-10_1443

Sajida appears in Channel 4's Forced Marriage Cops - Pictured (left) Detective Sergeant Nita Jhanji-Garrod and right Detective Inspector Tanya Kitchen

The government's Forced Marriage Unit says that in 2014 they offered help and support to 1,267 possible forced marriage cases.

But Jasvinder Sanghera, from the forced marriage victim support charity, Karma Nirvana, says that figure is not even the tip of the iceberg.

The figure quoted in a Channel 4 documentary, in which her story is featured, is that 8,000 are threatened each year.

There was certainly no fairytale ending for Sajida - just a spiral of worsening abuse.

Detective Chief Superintendent Vanessa Jardine of Greater Manchester police, said: 'We are not seeing anything like the reality of the situation. There will be many more victims in the community.'

Greater Manchester Police added: 'A forced marriage is a criminal offence and is a marriage conducted without the valid consent of one or both parties, where duress is a factor.

'Duress can include physical, sexual, emotional, and financial and psychological pressure. This will include coercion and deception to force someone into marrying.

'Forced marriages are a form of domestic abuse and are dealt with as such by the police

'We are aware that there are a number of cases going unreported and we hope to encourage more reporting by raising awareness of the issues.'

Sajida tells her story in Channel 4's Forced Marriage Cops, tonight (Wednesday 30 Sept) at 10pm.

btn_add-your-comment.png
icon_comments_74.png
Comments (57)

Share what you think

The comments below have been moderated in advance.

50712319733_p.jpg?cb=2015930

Stukeley, Devizes, United Kingdom, about 8 hours ago

When was this, the year 1015? Oh no, its now, what a surprise.

Click to rate
dummy_148x178.jpg?cb=2015930

Prague girl, Prague, Czech Republic, about 8 hours ago

No wife in the world wants such a husband.

Click to rate

heather47, caistor, United Kingdom, about 8 hours ago

So the husband was so stupid that he didn't know that it is HIS sperm that determines the sex of a child. So ignorant!

Click to rate

Prague girl, Prague, Czech Republic, about 8 hours ago

No wife in the world wants such a husband.

Click to rate

Emma2f, london, United Kingdom, about 8 hours ago

Not only violent but also uneducated fool. Everybody knows men decide the gender of a person not women.

Click to rate

brummie 1, birmingham, United Kingdom, about 8 hours ago

is this backward thinking way of live not illegal

Click to rate

PositivePolly, London, about 8 hours ago

Stupid man, the sperm determines the sex of the baby.... Scumbag

Click to rate

retraitee, reynès, France, about 8 hours ago

Hasn't anybody explained to him that it's actualy HIS fault for only having daughters? Though I doubt he'd accept that.

Click to rate

JohnB11, Birmingham, United Kingdom, about 8 hours ago

There is no place for sex selection in the UK. Her husband needs to find a country where his views are acceptable.

I've seen it a few times bro (in London). So don't think it doesn't happen.

fair enough brother. Tbh I have actually seen it but only in 2 nightclubs once when I went to a west london night club a club of years ago for a desi night, but i think they may have been sikh. Also once at herts uni again a desi night but that guy was defo some mirpuri guy or something. Apart from that I have never actually seen it.

fair enough brother. Tbh I have actually seen it but only in 2 nightclubs once when I went to a west london night club a club of years ago for a desi night, but i think they may have been sikh. Also once at herts uni again a desi night but that guy was defo some mirpuri guy or something. Apart from that I have never actually seen it.

That's cool brother. Let's use each others eyes to fill in personal blind spots. I was pretty oblivious to what was really going on (even under my nose) until certain brothers and sisters opened my eyes - so it's easily done.

Just thought I'd throw in my two pennies into this one. If there are any of you that thinks it is exaggerated and kara wearing by muslims does not happen believe me it does.

I know of a family who's daughter was taken in by this and fell for a guy thinking he was a Sikh. She went against her parents warnings and wishes and left her family to be with this boy. Today she sits in Saudi Arabia with 7 kids by three different muslims. Her boyfriend had been employed by the Hut group to recruit and was paid a handsome sum.

She was groomed at a London university.

There are also others who fell for the same

I have also seen Tamils from Sri Lanka wearing them. I know of a married sikh woman who was taken in same kind of scenario. Guy was a P@ki and wore a kara. She took to him and blew away her marriage, kids, parents and everything. Today? She is in a council flat with 4 kids.

Dont think for a minute that this does not happen.

How idiotic are some people that they're convinced by a kara as to someone's religious and cultural background? A part of me suspects the kara is just an excuse peddled by people when things turn sour. There's no way Sikhs can be that clueless, no way.

I hate it now cos people think im a paki just cos of my appearance (im mona) and the fact I wear a kara. I think I need to start growing kesh soon :)