Basics Of Sikhi Vs Muslim Mugs

StarStriker

Guest Jacfsing2

Attack on Titan is a great work in exposing human nature in the face of calamity.

Isn't Attack on Titan only suppose to be for adults? I don't see why someone would let their young kids watch that, let alone be inspired from it?

That's exactly what AkaliFauj was saying too, you guys are against each other but are saying the same thing.

He is OnlyFive, one of the best posters.

I am not against anyone. This forums are for spreading awareness and ideas, and discussion and contemplation. Not to spread emnity or vair-virod.

If Akalifauj is onlyfive, I'm really disappointed that he hasn't matured to any any degree since the last time we had any discussions many moons ago. If he is one of the best posters then why change/adopt a new username. Stick to the name that everyone knows you are a great poster by.

did you not think that Brave did a sterling job in undermining parental authority ? the dad was a buffoon so unavailable to help ...and the mother who was trying to maintain moral standards was the thorn in the girl's side ?

Bhenji, I think you may have slightly misread Brave. Yep, on the surface the main female character (Merida) does play up to the classic teen rebellion routine, but that's just surface dressing, and it's kind of to be expected when western film-makers are behind it because that's what they perceive to be true.

But I think you're judging the film entirely through a Punjabi lense which is not quite fair.

The central premise of the film - and it's a unique one in as much as a mainstream animated film bypassing romance between guy vs girl - is the mother/daughter relationship. That's not social programming; that's the way things are between two headstrong personalities all over the world. After all, Merida is still a child, and it shows in how she isn't ready to take on her responsibilities her mum wants her to. She actually does step up to the plate later when the spell takes hold of her mum, and in those moments we see the mother realise her daughter isn't bad or rebellious for the sake of it.

Anyway, I would think Merida displays many desirable Singhni-type attributes that any Gursikh mother would be pleased to pass down to her child. She's fearless, active, smart, yet respectful of her father - even if he is the bumbling type. She's unswayed by the male suitors of the various clans that arrive to win her hand in betrothal; that's quite rare in these films where there's always a munda/kuri angle. In the end after her ordeals she begins to see things from her mum's perspective in a way. I'd say that's pretty great as a message for young girls.

The one film I'd avoid if I was bringing up my kids in a Gurmat manner would be Tangled. Girl trapped in a literal and figurative prison because of her kesh? In the end she cuts her kesh for a guy, loses her magic abilities, but the guy is safe because of her sacrifice, lmao? That's messed up as a Sikh, lol!

Bhenji, I think you may have slightly misread Brave. Yep, on the surface the main female character (Merida) does play up to the classic teen rebellion routine, but that's just surface dressing, and it's kind of to be expected when western film-makers are behind it because that's what they perceive to be true.

But I think you're judging the film entirely through a Punjabi lense which is not quite fair.

The central premise of the film - and it's a unique one in as much as a mainstream animated film bypassing romance between guy vs girl - is the mother/daughter relationship. That's not social programming; that's the way things are between two headstrong personalities all over the world. After all, Merida is still a child, and it shows in how she isn't ready to take on her responsibilities her mum wants her to. She actually does step up to the plate later when the spell takes hold of her mum, and in those moments we see the mother realise her daughter isn't bad or rebellious for the sake of it.

Anyway, I would think Merida displays many desirable Singhni-type attributes that any Gursikh mother would be pleased to pass down to her child. She's fearless, active, smart, yet respectful of her father - even if he is the bumbling type. She's unswayed by the male suitors of the various clans that arrive to win her hand in betrothal; that's quite rare in these films where there's always a munda/kuri angle. In the end after her ordeals she begins to see things from her mum's perspective in a way. I'd say that's pretty great as a message for young girls.

The one film I'd avoid if I was bringing up my kids in a Gurmat manner would be Tangled. Girl trapped in a literal and figurative prison because of her kesh? In the end she cuts her kesh for a guy, loses her magic abilities, but the guy is safe because of her sacrifice, lmao? That's messed up as a Sikh, lol!

thing is Merida is supposed to be eighteen but drawn as a childlike just to sell the ideal ...the film is good don't get me wrong but it needs to be put into context by parents as it could potentially put the mother daughter relationship at odds especially with our more traditionally non-dating ways ...remember the come-away was misbehave , endanger your folks and you will still get your way ....no comebacks .

I have even let Madam Isher watch the tolkien films ...you should have seen her satisfaction at good triumphing on the battlefield. Isher loves tangled because she wants to have as long kesh as rapunzel...she feels sad when her kesh gets cut , there is always a gasp of horror...she sees it as the stealing of her natural powers ...

thing is Merida is supposed to be eighteen but drawn as a childlike just to sell the ideal ...the film is good don't get me wrong but it needs to be put into context by parents as it could potentially put the mother daughter relationship at odds especially with our more traditionally non-dating ways ...remember the come-away was misbehave , endanger your folks and you will still get your way ....no comebacks .

I have even let Madam Isher watch the tolkien films ...you should have seen her satisfaction at good triumphing on the battlefield. Isher loves tangled because she wants to have as long kesh as rapunzel...she feels sad when her kesh gets cut , there is always a gasp of horror...she sees it as the stealing of her natural powers ...

Oh yes, always put stuff into context if the kid seems to be going in a direction that isn't intended, heh. I would argue she wasn't misbehaving for ishq and stuff, but just to be able to breathe. But culturally in terms of the rules in your home and how you raise you kids it's your decision how you frame the events and lessons of the film.

I'd say there's a lot of positives to be taken as a Sikh female from Brave, compared to trash like Frozen. Tangled is OK, but the kesh angle - although not obviously designed to be anti-Gurmat, lol - could undermine parental efforts on the kesh front. I was ill when I watched Tangled for the first time, and when she cuts her kesh at the end I threw my slipper at the telly in anger, lol. I wasn't all there!

Oh yes, always put stuff into context if the kid seems to be going in a direction that isn't intended, heh. I would argue she wasn't misbehaving for ishq and stuff, but just to be able to breathe. But culturally in terms of the rules in your home and how you raise you kids it's your decision how you frame the events and lessons of the film.

I'd say there's a lot of positives to be taken as a Sikh female from Brave, compared to trash like Frozen. Tangled is OK, but the kesh angle - although not obviously designed to be anti-Gurmat, lol - could undermine parental efforts on the kesh front. I was ill when I watched Tangled for the first time, and when she cuts her kesh at the end I threw my slipper at the telly in anger, lol. I wasn't all there!

Trash like frozen!? T_T I didn't find anything wrong with frozen.

In all honesty, I respect both opinions but it would annoying as hell to watch a movie with the two of you lool

Trash like frozen!? T_T I didn't find anything wrong with frozen.

In all honesty, I respect both opinions but it would annoying as hell to watch a movie with the two of you lool

Frozen is just... ugh. Mediocre is being kind. Don't be fooled by the sisterly relationship and how it's resolved in the end. There's something dodgy about that film, lol.